So You Think Thailand Is Violent

draggons

In Issan gang violence is common, guys from our Village cannot go to the next village without fear of getting some kind of problem.

Go to any Mor Lum concert and there will be problems for sure, opposing gangs usually, luckily for me I'm Farang and never have any problems at all with any of the local Gangs.

Lived in Isaan for 4 years (nearer to Khon Kaen) and never seen any of this (been to Mowlam concerts too). Sounds like a rough area you're in!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just saw on the news that it was a South Korean student that did that mass shooting at Virginia Tech in the US yesterday. Obviously this type of random violence is cross cultural in nature and is not limited to Americans, Thais, etc. but appears to be increasing in all societies. If this type of random violence is just a sign of our times I think the real question is what is happening in our times that causes an increasing amount of people to lose all respect for society?

I think the underlying problem is that the younger generations of Thai people are turning away from their religion. The same happened in Europe 40 to 50 years ago, when there were less and less churchgoers every year. Without the moral guidance, the younger people are more and more interested in the having immediately of all the commercial trappings like cellphones, computers, motorbikes, designer clothes, shoes etc.etc. than having a goal to work to. They want it now and not maybe next month,year or so and many don't care how they get it. I don't blame the church and /or the Buddhist monks, but I do blame the parents, and the soft touch upbringing

Materialism has won, morality has lost.

My 2 cents

onzestan

Edited by onzestan

So 100 years ago everywhere was less violent and 700 years ago there must have been no violence at all??????????????????????????????

Why is it that people always think that "NOW" is more violent than "BEFORE" - ???????????????

So 100 years ago everywhere was less violent and 700 years ago there must have been no violence at all??????????????????????????????

Why is it that people always think that "NOW" is more violent than "BEFORE" - ???????????????

Maybe because it was. Certainly where I come from, plus the fact that I can see a difference amongst the local young from today, compared to 20 years ago.

I'm 67 how old are you?

onzestan