Sliding Glass Door Broken Latch

Dan Talus

My condo here in Bangkok is only ~5 years old, and slowly but surely  things are starting to break.

Today it was the door latch/locking mechanisim on my balcony sliding glass door (same latches on all my windows as well). These have always been dodgy and sorta a pain in the  ass to open, you had to put a lot of force on the door (in the closed direction) and jiggle the lock a bit to get it to unlatch/latch.

Sure enough the  tiny hook part of the latching assembly snapped. See attached photos.

I have no idea how to find  this part , hopefully I can just get the tiny part that snapped,  worst case the locking assembly (but not the whole door!).

Talked to the maintenance guys in the building, no clue. I always (erronesouly) assume at least one of the 200+ other units have had similar issues with whatever thing breaks in my unit and the Condo people are smart enough to keep these parts on hands, or at least know some vendor who stocks the part. No such luck. 

Additonally I can't see any  manufacturer's info on the door casing.  I'd think it would be trivial to contact the manufacturer and probabaly get that part  for free. But alas I don't know who made the door.

Help!  Does any one have an ideas?  

Thanks in advance.

--Dan

1896.jpg

1895.jpg

1894.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dan Talus said:

Help!  Does any one have an ideas?

Yes...

If the sliding door is the inner door then just drop a piece of wood into the rail (broom handle for example) to prevent the door sliding open. No need for a lock then.

How to unlock, pick, and or pry open a patio sliding glass door ...

Edited by cornishcarlos