UK says PM's adviser did not break lockdown rules with 400 km drive

rooster59

19 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Which does not mean an infected person (Mrs. Cummings) and a suspected infected person (Cummings) can break their quarantine.

If the kid needed to be cared for by Cummings' uninfected sibling, why couldn't they come down to London to collect him?

Here we go, no edits, so no needs to quote forum rules as its your post.

Here you suggest its OK for for Cummings sibling to break the lockdown, but not Cummings.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So Abbot's son was arrested, charged and pleaded guilty to breaking the law.

How does that justify Cummings' defenders saying he should be excused when he breaks the law?

If he broke the law, wouldn't he be charged by the police, I understand they said his trip was probably unwise?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sungod said:
12 hours ago, sungod said:
18 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Scotland has different rules to England; indeed all the four nations of the UK have their own rules regarding Covid 19.

Neither London nor Durham are in Scotland, they are both in England. If Cummings went from London to Durham via any part of Scotland, then he travelled a lot more than 260 miles!

Remote working in Scotland remains the default, they are encouraging people to stay at home.

"Iain Stewart, who is one of those leading the charge in Orkney’s fight against the virus, and encourages residents to avoid nonessential travel.............."

Just wondered how many on hear would consider these trips to and from the mainland unnecessary when he has a perfectly good place to stay on Orkney?

Still waiting for a reply on this one me old mate.

I freely admit to knowing little about the rules in Scotland as they do not affect me. I live in England and thus am subject to the same rules as Cummings; except I haven't broken them.

However, it seems that Stewart's journey is allowable under Scotland's rules; Government backs NHSO chief’s Highland commute 

“While he is working, the chief executive stays in accommodation provided by NHS Orkney – this is not treated as a first or second home for the purposes of the current travel restrictions. Staff can therefore to travel to and from their family or principal home, when not working.

“The chair, Meghan McEwen has looked into the issue, and is satisfied that Iain Stewart has acted reasonably and within the terms of the national guidance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Like you, you mean!

Stick me on ignore 49; It's far easier than continually baiting in the vain hope that you'll generate something you can report via the route you openly bragged about in your previous post.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sungod said:

Here we go, no edits, so no needs to quote forum rules as its your post.

Here you suggest its OK for for Cummings sibling to break the lockdown, but not Cummings.

Again, in response to a post from @vinny41; which I quoted.

Your desperation is really showing now!

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

But still wrong based on your views correct?

Is this directed at me for my comments on Stewart?

Cummings broke the law; a law he had a hand in writing.

Stewart didn't.

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Yes, I have reported posts of yours; but only after you have reported my response and had that response removed. 

As for sticking you on ignore; I have never done that to anyone. Unlike you, I have no need to hide from posters whose views I do not share.

I'm trying very hard to hide from you but you keep insisting upon winding yourself up ????

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

So you think that Cummings is totally to blame for the UK's death rate? 

Primarily yes. It was his decision that we should go down the herd immunity route, which delayed adoption of more sensible measures and leading to us to genuinely be the sick man of Europe. Many lives were lost with that decision.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The Critic' is edited by Christopher Montgomery, a strategist with the European Research Group of Tory MPs and backed by Conservative and Brexit Party millionaire donor Jeremy Hosking is out at the end of next month.

Chaired by Mark Francois. Oh how @evadgib will be gutted, 555

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

AFAIK, Cummings went on one trip to County Durham. How many times was this repeated or what other trips did he make?

2 trips and was seen wandering around Barnard Castle with his family when they were all supposed to be in quarantine.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Is this directed at me for my comments on Stewart?

Cummings broke the law; a law he had a hand in writing.

Stewart didn't.

He broke the guidance, not the law. If he'd broken the law he'd have been arrested by now. 

The guidance is all about sticking to the rules to the best of your ability. There are circumstances where common sense prevails, and people have to veer outside the guidelines. Cummings was (apparently) concerned that once he and has wife have the virus they'll be unable to provide the care a 4 year old needs. So they took the kid to where he would have maximum family support. I'd do the same if it were my kid. 

As others have said, the mistake he has made here is not coming out and publicly apologising, and clarifying the situation. I think the chief political advisor could do with his own PR advisor!  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

2 trips and was seen wandering around Barnard Castle with his family when they were all supposed to be in quarantine.

I find that very sad, irrespective of political persuasion, that these situations become political footballs.

AFAIK the 'second trip' report by The Observor and Sunday Mirror was said to be "false" by government officials. I think it hinges on the facts of that alleged trip. For me, the first one is plausible; if stories of the second trip were not 'false' then the government have been misled by Cummings.   

34 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Stick me on ignore 49; It's far easier than continually baiting in the vain hope that you'll generate something you can report via the route you openly bragged about in your previous post.

Not everyone on this forum is low enough to use your tactics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

I find that very sad, irrespective of political persuasion, that these situations become political footballs.

AFAIK the 'second trip' report by The Observor and Sunday Mirror was said to be "false" by government officials. I think it hinges on the facts of that alleged trip. For me, the first one is plausible; if stories of the second trip were not 'false' then the government have been misled by Cummings.   

Agree. if the reasons of his first trip were as he stated then I'd like to think families come first and would defend anyone in the same position.

If the unsubstantiated details of his alleged subsequent trips are established as fact then he should go. That would be fair.

Newspaper reports of unnamed witesses and others who said they saw a tall man who looked like him with a woman and a child dont stand up I'm afraid.

Lets wait for facts

16 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

An eye witness who says they saw someone who looked like Dominic Cummings. Err...ok ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

An eye witness who says they saw someone who looked like Dominic Cummings. Err...ok ????

The Guardian have more they are keeping back challenging No 10 to come out fighting and walk straight into their trap. They have been building information for over 6 weeks now. If he digs in it will be a drip feed over the week to tighten the screw. They’ll be working on his resignation. A sacking is hard to come back from, honourably resigning over this error of judgment makes it much easier to be brought back to deal with Brexit once Covid has waned

Edited by jimmyswale
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyswale said:

The Guardian have more they are keeping back challenging No 10 to come out fighting and walk straight into their trap. They have been building information for over 6 weeks now. If he digs in it will be a drip feed over the week to tighten the screw. 

Excellent.  This is just what we need right now, during the biggest global pandemic for over 100 years. Never mind the NHS workers - the Guardian are the real heros! ????‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Would that such swift and assertive action as has been expended defending Cummings had been exerted to protect the nation against the virus.

NHS chiefs commuting between Orkney and the mainland could have helped too!!!! ????

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

He broke the guidance, not the law. If he'd broken the law he'd have been arrested by now. 

The guidance is all about sticking to the rules to the best of your ability. There are circumstances where common sense prevails, and people have to veer outside the guidelines. Cummings was (apparently) concerned that once he and has wife have the virus they'll be unable to provide the care a 4 year old needs. So they took the kid to where he would have maximum family support. I'd do the same if it were my kid. 

As others have said, the mistake he has made here is not coming out and publicly apologising, and clarifying the situation. I think the chief political advisor could do with his own PR advisor!  

You won't see this on MSM but it amply explains the mob handed nature of their orchestrated pile on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1