Expat medical insurance not valid if returning to live in home country - consequences

Perhaps it's obvious to many that an 'expat' private medical insurance policy is intended only for expats, and not for those that live in their home country. However, if one is an expat, then it's worth considering what will happen if you return to live back in your home country - in my case the UK.

Although I have no plans to return to live in the UK, it's prudent to plan for this possibility.  I realised that my wonderful $1 million annual cover expat policy would cease if I returned to live in the UK, (for short visits, I would still be covered).  This has been confirmed to me by my policy provider - April International.

This means that if I were to return to the UK, it's unlikely that I could obtain private medical insurance for cover within the UK at any reasonable price (I'm 61 years old, but happily with zero existing medical conditions).  I'd have to rely on the underfunded NHS.

This situation means that returning to live in the UK is actually wiped completely off my future options.  In order to continue my medical cover, I must remain an expat. My existing policy will continue until the day I die, so long as I pay the premiums....

Others might be wise to consider this scenario and to check their own expat policies.

• Haha 1

Yes, I think you are just stating the obvious. There is no chance that the policy will cover countries like the UK (except for as you say only for short visits, the policy I last had was for up to 7 weeks I think) Think about how much 1 years private insurance would be for any UK resident, a lot more than the bog standard expat premium.

If tens of millions rely on the NHS then why can't you??

Edited by Keyser Soze666
  • Haha 1

Unwilling to pay an extremely expensive premium for almost little to no health coverage for preexisting conditions to a Thai recommended insurance company...inorder to continue a long stay visa was just too much for me on top of all the other punitive Thai visa requirements.

Back home in US now have complete healthcare coverage with both government facilities and private healthcare facilities at a very reasonable rate...prescription drugs included...VA and Medicare for people over 65...

Leaving Thailand was not something I wished for...but something I was forced to do by Thai immigration policies...

If tens of millions rely on the NHS then why can't you??

While the NHS has a good reputation for dealing with emergency treatments (heart attacks, strokes etc), it has a woeful reputation for dealing with non-emergencies.  One can die while on lengthy waiting lists for treatment.  My concern is not about private rooms or haute cuisine - it is about being treated quickly for any ailment.