Chihuahua's With Diarrhoea

My two Chihuahua's had pretty awful diarrhoea last night, should I be doing something today to replenish any vital fluids that might have been lost?

They looked in good spirits this morning, except the male had watery eyes but this is not unusual for Chihuahua's.

I think I know what caused it, a Chicken I gave them for a treat the day before, although I have never had a problem with Chicken with them before.

Any idea's? Or am I unduly worried?

Can call the Vet, but as they seem OK I thought I would ask here first to see if there was any best practice for this event.

Thanks

Moss

Are they eating & drinking normally, Moss? If so, monitor (as they'll be replacing fluids & electrolytes themselves). If it stops tomorrow, OK. If not, contact vet. Contact him sooner if they're not eating & drinking, if diarrhoea gets more severe or if they vomit. Chihuahuas are really small (obviously) & cannot stand to lose too much fluid. A good test for dehydration is to pinch the skin at the back of the neck. It should fall back immediately. If it takes a couple of seconds, they are dehydrated & you need help with them. You can syringe feed them human electrolyte solutions (about 150ml a day depending on your chihuahua size) but it's not needed if they are eating & drinking

Edit - typo

Edited by November Rain

nice advices again from November rain :o

Anyhow, the causes of diarrhea

1) viral enteritis >bloody diarrhea (from red till coke coloured),flatid (smell likes spoiled shrimp)

2)coccidiosis

3)food poisioning

4)food allergy

(1) is a acute -severe disease - 80% of dogs dead because of blood lost , lost of electrolye and fluid and heart failure (Tiger heart disease)

(2) and (3) is also acute-severe but its pretty easy to cure with antibiotic such as metronidazole

(4) it's chornic disease.. and i rule it out in your case

for simple diarrhea you can use kid's syrup such as disento (1cc /kg) 4 times a day

basically we will withdraw food and drink for first 24 hrs of gastro-intestinal distubance (diarrhea /vomitting)

you can feed ORS , just a bit but do it often .. you can also use ice cube

Thanks for prompt replies, NR and Bam,

I am at work now but rang home at lunch time and they appeared OK but still with a little running stomach!

I will check more thoroughly when I get home later and go thru your suggestions and report back, however if I am in any doubt later this afternoon I will rush them straight to the Vets.

Thanks for concern and prompt assistance.

cheers

Moss

Are they eating & drinking normally, Moss? It appears so, they havn't eaten or drank a lot, but are doing so, I will feed them by hand later and see the results If so, monitor (as they'll be replacing fluids & electrolytes themselves). If it stops tomorrow, OK. Very little diarrhoea from both of them today. If not, contact vet. Contact him sooner if they're not eating & drinking, if diarrhoea gets more severe or if they vomit. Chihuahuas are really small (obviously) & cannot stand to lose too much fluid This is what worried me, don't worry about stating the obvious. A good test for dehydration is to pinch the skin at the back of the neck. It should fall back immediately Yes, good signs here, immediately fell back on both :D . If it takes a couple of seconds, they are dehydrated & you need help with them. You can syringe feed them human electrolyte solutions (about 150ml a day depending on your chihuahua size) but it's not needed if they are eating & drinking

Thanks for that in depth feed back November, I really appreciate it.

Being new to pets and Dogs in particular it was a bit of a worry.

Sadie, the female is only two kilo's and fully grown, so I presume it will not take a lot to upset her metabolism.

Cheers :o

Moss

nice advices again from November rain :D

Anyhow, the causes of diarrhea

1) viral enteritis >bloody diarrhea (from red till coke coloured),flatid (smell likes spoiled shrimp) No blood in stools and although the smell in part was horrendous. I do not think it was like spoiled Shrimp.

2)coccidiosis

3)food poisioning Quite possibly, aka Chicken

4)food allergy

(1) is a acute -severe disease - 80% of dogs dead because of blood lost , lost of electrolye and fluid and heart failure (Tiger heart disease)

(2) and (3) is also acute-severe but its pretty easy to cure with antibiotic such as metronidazole

(4) it's chornic disease.. and i rule it out in your case

for simple diarrhea you can use kid's syrup such as disento (1cc /kg) 4 times a day OK, if it continues I will try, but all seems OK at present

basically we will withdraw food and drink for first 24 hrs of gastro-intestinal distubance (diarrhea /vomitting)

you can feed ORS , just a bit but do it often .. you can also use ice cube Bam, what is ORS?

Thanks again for prompt response, as said in above comments I believe all to be OK

I firmly believe it to be the Chicken, because when I bought it, it was already reduced in price, something they didn't advertize openly and was being sold alongside the good stuff, it only came to light when I came to pay.

I asked them, "does it mean it is old", it was only 10.00am. so they shouldn't be selling old stock at this time.

The said it would be fine, I should have known better, I couldn't care less about the reduced price, they are going to get a broadside when I see them next. :o

Whilst writing, Sadie has had another episode of diarrhoea, if only slightly, so I guess as you stated above, I will keep them off their solid food today.

And see what happens tomorrow. :D

Thanks again for the response, much appreciated

Moss

ORS = oral rehydration solution

:o as gatorade or cheaper dried form in a sachet .

yes.. maybe it was from the spoiled chicken

you can also solve this problem with "ultra carbon" and with antibiotic ( give it before U-carbon atleast 1 hour)

Edited by BambinA

All is now well and was a couple of days after the event.

Didn't try any exotic remedies, just kept them off food for a day and a half, although let them have water.

Complained to the lady who sold it to us, from a big supermarket remember, and less concern or indifference couldn't be imagined :o

If I wasn't under orders from the wife not to get angry, I could have kicked off, but there was such little attempt at a response from my concerns, I was quite shocked.

But there you go!

Thanks Bam and NR

Very much appreciate the in-put.

Good Luck

Moss