DLT open or closed?

What hasn't been made clear in the answer above is that your licence(s) will continue to be valid until the end of the emergency.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

A bit odd that every other government office I can think of is open as normal (perhaps apart from TAT and the tourism ministry, lol), but the DLT remains firmly shut. I don't much care what they announce about licences remaining valid after their expiry date, I hate driving with an expired licence.

Well the DLT said that the Police would be instructed not to charge people on an expired license but there is no mention regarding insurance companies and no way would I trust any assurances by an insurer unless given in writing if I was involved in an accident!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

A bit odd that every other government office I can think of is open as normal (perhaps apart from TAT and the tourism ministry, lol), but the DLT remains firmly shut. I don't much care what they announce about licences remaining valid after their expiry date, I hate driving with an expired licence.

If the DLT allows everyone to drive with an expired license until further notice, why do you worry? You think the police aren't informed? 

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If the DLT allows everyone to drive with an expired license until further notice, why do you worry? You think the police aren't informed? 

Because your insurance could be void for not having a valid licence.

There should not be a problem with insurance being valid with an out of date licence as it is still valid until after the emengency decree. The validity of the licence is determined by the Government not the insurance companies. The problem will be the amount of leeway you get when the offices open and the decree ends as there will be literally thousands of people with expired licences. Even before the lockdown renewing a licence for Thai's meant queueing very early at some places and still being sent away and told to return and queue again the next day. they just can not process them all in  a couple of days. It could take weeks as every day more expire. I hope they dispence with some of the requirements like watching the same video everytime you go.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, andygrr said:

The problem will be the amount of leeway you get when the offices open and the decree ends as there will be literally thousands of people with expired licences.

That might indeed be quite stressful.

Even when offices are open for license issues they are crowded.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

That might indeed be quite stressful.

Even when offices are open for license issues they are crowded.

The problem will be the amount of leeway you get when the offices open and the decree ends as there will be literally thousands of people with expired licences.

Therein lies the rub.  When offices open how much time will they give to renew?  It's going to be a madhouse.  Not to mention Covid incubator.

23 hours ago, Guderian said:

I think you will find the DLT offices are open for the renewal of the registration and compulsory insurance I renewed mine a couple of days ago.

In relation to licence renewal the last time I renewed mine was in February and there must have been about fifty Thai people who had to sit in a room watch a DVD and listen to a lecture, somehow with this Covid and social distancing I don’t thing it would be a good idea, hence why it’s not happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 7:53 PM, KhunBENQ said:

@michael888

bumping the thread.

There is news!

Let's assume it's not another flip-flop and they really restart the DL procedure.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1167615-department-of-land-transport-new-normal-driving-license-test/

Best to visit one's DLT office and ask how to proceed.

I have "heard' they are open from a friend and now this "announcement".  Does this mean they are open but you have to book in advance (2 to 5 year license)?  And they are currently not accepting any more bookings until July 1st? 

The whole thing is shrouded in mystery and secrecy for some reason.  I've tried to call but couldn't get through.  The website still says they are closed.  If anyone has any insight and can confirm any of this heresay it would be greatly appreciated.