Department of Land Transport: New Normal Driving License Test

snoop1130

47 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:
  1. Alien 365 should not blame the system his wife was slack by letting her licence expire when she could have renewed it prior to expiry.

She should have yes but she didn't. What I'm highlighting is that she wants a valid license again but can't get an appointment. We complain that a lot of people here don't have licenses but if the system can't handle the number of people requesting licenses then the system is also at fault. This 'new normal' will only exacerbate the problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

My wife's license has expired and she now needs to redo all the test (so it's a one or two day process) Over a year now and she's been unable to get a booking in or around our province. And they wonder why people drive without a license.

Yes it’s a total mess. Both my licenses - motorbike and car have expired and there is no way you can get into the online cue. The application will not accept your passport number which is also printed on your driving license - the online application accepts only the 13 digit Thai ID card numbers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I want to use the DLT office in Cha-Am.  I have a 5 year TDL issued at Pran Buri just

south of Hua Hin / Cha-Am.  I understand you can get or renew a TDL at any office.

I suppose I'll need a proof of address from HHIO (Hua Hin Immigration Office).  Five

years ago this cost me 1-000 Thai baht.

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

My wife's license has expired and she now needs to redo all the test (so it's a one or two day process) Over a year now and she's been unable to get a booking in or around our province. And they wonder why people drive without a license.

yep, my Mrs same issue - but in bangkok 

Explains, why 10 out of 31 million drivers apparently roam the country's grid of death tolls without the said license. I've been doing this renewal for decades, had my driving license taken in Europe with a change of tires, fitting snow chains and explaining basics like battery acid levels, engine oil levels etc. to the expert, followed by a two hours physical driving test. All that only after 20 hours of actual training with a driving teacher and upon completion of a 80 questions theory test. 

This year the DLT clowns though, it would be a good idea to put me together with first license applicants and hence I could enjoy not one but two hours of silly videos; not any of the participants paid attention after a few minutes and resorted to smart phones, two on books and four on a more intelligent mid-morning nap. 

Time and resource wasting of the finest order!