Travel Coupons For Thais

I see that the government is gong to issue coupons for thai's to get discounts on hotel rooms.  Good idea wrong timing but what can i say

Most Thai families will not be able to use them as their kids will be in school

Anyway my question is this they say they are gong togive them out.

Does anyone with past experience here know how they are going to go about that to make sure that a lot of people can use the.  I don't have kids and can afford with teh gf to take a few days and go to Pattaya for a weekend

2 hours ago, Deli said:

Me,too, would be interested how to get these coupons. Would go with GF to Samui for some days

It has never happened before,so who knows? And even if a poor Thai gets 50% discount for the hotel room, he/she still needs money for other expenses during the trip. Do you consider yourself poor,by the way? 

It is not as if the government have done this before. However, I would say you will have to apply and the voucher will be sent to you. I agree with the OP that the timing is way off. Noone in Thailand has money to spare after more than 3 months of COVID. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sumarianson said:

I agree with the OP that the timing is way off. Noone in Thailand has money to spare after more than 3 months of COVID. 

Bingo! That's the point. The government can claim they are taking care of the people with the offer. The fact that it is impractical and won't be taken up by many isn't the government's problem. They've made themselves look good with the offer and Somchai will be grateful and at the same time think he is to blame for not being able to use the kind offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2020 at 5:34 PM, uncola said:

I was thinking my thai gf could get the coupons and we'd take advantage of the offer.   However after i thought about it i came to the conclusion that unless they offer it to expats as well i will just stay home.  I mean the purpose is to stimulate tourism in Thailand helping hotels, restaurants and tourism in general.   I am tired of the 2 tier system here.  If they want my money they have to offer a plan where i am equal and i don't have to play to game the system.   After over 25 years of living here that gets old.

Hey if I can have a holiday at a discount I really do not care how they do it.

Remember there are more Thais than there are Expats.  

The other point is that we as expats for the most part will not use our credit cards and take loans to go on holiday.

I still think that the only way this works is if they give the Thais their time off for Songkran. Still not sure how they are going to do it though.

June? By the time the government gets this organised it will probably be July anyway.

Also we do not know if you will be able to use in any hotel ..... probably just the big expensive ones.

Bringing happiness to the Hiso people, not the majority.

On 5/30/2020 at 2:46 AM, Max69xl said:

It has never happened before,so who knows? And even if a poor Thai gets 50% discount for the hotel room, he/she still needs money for other expenses during the trip. Do you consider yourself poor,by the way? 

The government has done a similar thing many times. My Thai friend who works at BoT has gone on trips before.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:10 PM, ripstanley said:

"Most Thai families will not be able to use them as their kids will be in school"

Schools do not start until 01/07/2020. Thai families can utilize the coupons in June for a holiday

The government is not starting this program until after July 1st when it opens hotels