VFS Passport Application Question

I am starting to get my paperwork in order for a VFS visit in the next month or so.

This is a 5 hour drive each way and I don't plan on a hotel stay, so I don't want to get rejected for a missing piece of paper.

In the second list of required documents for residency, the only thing I could offer would be my Thai driving licence as it has my address in both Thai and English. Is this acceptable? I don't have any others from the list. I also don't want to have to have something translated if I can avoid it.

Or is all they are looking for a copy of my current extension stamp? Would an invoice for delivered goods from say Amazon or Lazada be of any use? These got me my last residency certificate from the UK embassy last time when needed for renewal of the driving licence.

I note some of you are going to VFS soon, what ID will you use for this?

Thanks

Passport renewal documents for VFS.png

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

I am starting to get my paperwork in order for a VFS visit in the next month or so.

This is a 5 hour drive each way and I don't plan on a hotel stay, so I don't want to get rejected for a missing piece of paper.

In the second list of required documents for residency, the only thing I could offer would be my Thai driving licence as it has my address in both Thai and English. Is this acceptable? I don't have any others from the list. I also don't want to have to have something translated if I can avoid it.

Or is all they are looking for a copy of my current extension stamp? Would an invoice for delivered goods from say Amazon or Lazada be of any use? These got me my last residency certificate from the UK embassy last time when needed for renewal of the driving licence.

I note some of you are going to VFS soon, what ID will you use for this?

Thanks

Passport renewal documents for VFS.png

VfS will only ask you if you are happy with what you sending - they do not police it.

HMPO have a track record of being helpful.

In theory the Thai DL only meets the criteria if it is less than 6 months old....... copy it anyway. Add the Lazada invoice.

HMPO has previously confirmed that a copy of a wife's ID/Passport, with "I confirm that Saltire lives with me at 21 Moo 7.......", duly signed, is acceptable. I would add that as well.

Note: VfS can't turn you away for 'missing' address documentation - they are not the arbiters....... just make sure you have completed and signed the application and supplied photos (unlikely that they would require a counter signatory).

It is a box ticking exercise because there are no checks of the address and the passport does not get sent there.

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

...the only thing I could offer would be my Thai driving licence as it has my address in both Thai and English.

Are you sure? My Thai driving license only has the address in Thai, on the reverse of the license.

I hope you are right because that would be a great improvement.

13 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Are you sure? My Thai driving license only has the address in Thai, on the reverse of the license.

I just checked, and yes the back of my licence has address in both Thai and English

I renewed in February this year it's a 5 year one.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

VfS will only ask you if you are happy with what you sending - they do not police it.

HMPO have a track record of being helpful.

In theory the Thai DL only meets the criteria if it is less than 6 months old....... copy it anyway. Add the Lazada invoice.

HMPO has previously confirmed that a copy of a wife's ID/Passport, with "I confirm that Saltire lives with me at 21 Moo 7.......", duly signed, is acceptable. I would add that as well.

Note: VfS can't turn you away for 'missing' address documentation - they are not the arbiters....... just make sure you have completed and signed the application and supplied photos (unlikely that they would require a counter signatory).

It is a box ticking exercise because there are no checks of the address and the passport does not get sent there.

Thank you - I will definitely do the letter from the wife that's a great idea.

Will they submit the licence, a letter AND an invoice or make me choose just one document?

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Thank you - I will definitely do the letter from the wife that's a great idea.

Will they submit the licence, a letter AND an invoice or make me choose just one document?

You choose what YOU wish to send (VfS are your 'servants' in that respect. 

You can (hand) write a covering note to say that as you are unsure whether you satisfy the exact address requirements you are submitting A, B and C.

VfS cannot say "you cannot send that".

28 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

VfS cannot say "you cannot send that".

You are correct, but this might not stop them saying something anyway. Two different times on two different passport applications VFS staff have basically told me that I could not submit a certain document. I politely told them that it was my application, not their application and that I insisted on sending the document. I explained their only option was to either accept my application with the document, or to refuse my application.

The staff were not happy about it, muttering that my application would be rejected, etc, but they did accept the application and send it to HMPO.

I later collected the new passport from the same muttering member of VFS staff. She obviously remembered me, and it looked like she was somewhat surprised the passport had been issued.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

You are correct, but this might not stop them saying something anyway. Two different times on two different passport applications VFS staff have basically told me that I could not submit a certain document. I politely told them that it was my application, not their application and that I insisted on sending the document. I explained their only option was to either accept my application with the document, or to refuse my application.

The staff were not happy about it, muttering that my application would be rejected, etc, but they did accept the application and send it to HMPO.

I later collected the new passport from the same muttering member of VFS staff. She obviously remembered me, and it looked like she was somewhat surprised the passport had been issued.

Yes, thank you, blackcab.  Saltire needs to show confidence and be assertive if the 'minions' start to think they are controlling the show.

I mean no disrespect to VfS staff (who have improved over recent years) whose level of service is sometimes limited by their experience and knowledge. In this example those staff will not be aware that HMPO have stated that such documents (the signed copy of ID from a wife) are acceptable.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:02 PM, blackcab said:

I can confirm that mine is in both Thai and then English below on the back. I suppose it's up to the registry and how good they are at translating.

Next time you are due for a renewal, you might want to ask if they can do it in English as well.

I now have an appointment for later this week.

The correspondence confirming my appointment has the address as Floor 28 in the Trendy building, but everything I've seen before says Floor 8.

Which is it for passport renewal?

On 6/1/2020 at 1:58 PM, Saltire said:

I take it when you say visit in the next month or so, is after you have confirmed that they have re-opened, because they are closed due to Covid-19 ?

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I take it when you say visit in the next month or so, is after you have confirmed that they have re-opened, because they are closed due to Covid-19 ?

They re-opened on June 1st.

I have an email confirming my appointment now.

Archived