Gun Violence

borracho

Calm down, please.

where is the little emoticon for butting my head against a brick wall there, endure?????

I think it's worn out. George promised he'd order a new one :o

So much for having a valid discussion of a topic which seriously affects all expats.

The moderators are the ones who go off topic and troll for reactions.

Aren't there any standards for behavior here?

however, murders using any method........ Thailand is down to a more respectable 14th It doesnt really matter what the method is, does it?

nation murder rates

14th out of a total of 62 countries in a league table of murders per capita is not particularly respectable in my book.

Strangely, murders per capita doesn't seem to include murders by gun??

Murders: 5,140

Murders (per capita): 0.0800798 per 1,000 people

Murders with firearms: 20,032

Murders with firearms (per capita): 0.312093 per 1,000 people

Rapes: 4,020

Total crimes: 565,108

Thailand is number three for murder by firearms!

Crime Statistics > Murders with firearms (per capita) by country

VIEW DATA: Totals Per capita

Definition Source Printable version

Bar Graph Map Correlations

Rank Countries Amount (top to bottom)

#1 South Africa: 0.719782 per 1,000 people

#2 Colombia: 0.509801 per 1,000 people

#3 Thailand: 0.312093 per 1,000 people

#4 Zimbabwe: 0.0491736 per 1,000 people

#5 Mexico: 0.0337938 per 1,000 people

#6 Belarus: 0.0321359 per 1,000 people

#7 Costa Rica: 0.0313745 per 1,000 people

#8 United States: 0.0279271 per 1,000 people

#9 Uruguay: 0.0245902 per 1,000 people

#10 Lithuania: 0.0230748 per 1,000 people

#11 Slovakia: 0.021543 per 1,000 people

#12 Czech Republic: 0.0207988 per 1,000 people

#13 Estonia: 0.0157539 per 1,000 people

#14 Latvia: 0.0131004 per 1,000 people

#15 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of: 0.0127139 per 1,000 people

#16 Bulgaria: 0.00845638 per 1,000 people

#17 Portugal: 0.00795003 per 1,000 people

#18 Slovenia: 0.00596718 per 1,000 people

#19 Switzerland: 0.00534117 per 1,000 people

#20 Canada: 0.00502972 per 1,000 people

#21 Germany: 0.00465844 per 1,000 people

#22 Moldova: 0.00448934 per 1,000 people

#23 Hungary: 0.00439692 per 1,000 people

#24 Poland: 0.0043052 per 1,000 people

#25 Ukraine: 0.00368109 per 1,000 people

#26 Ireland: 0.00298805 per 1,000 people

#27 Australia: 0.00293678 per 1,000 people

#28 Denmark: 0.00257732 per 1,000 people

#29 Spain: 0.0024045 per 1,000 people

#30 Azerbaijan: 0.00227503 per 1,000 people

#31 New Zealand: 0.00173482 per 1,000 people

#32 United Kingdom: 0.00102579 per 1,000 people

Weighted average: 0.1 per 1,000 people

Keep your head down!

How come I don't see IRAQ on this list.

Because.

Yes mabe further down but the bottom line to it is there is far too many shootings here now.

At last, a post I can agree with :o

The posted figures are 7 years old. That should answer all of the above questions regarding Iraq, etc etc. OK?

Who knows what the current rate is? Can anyone find any figures that are within the past 2 years?

And yes, undercover, the bottom line is, there are far too many murders here, not just shootings but all murders. I don't particularly care where Thailand ranks when I see someone I know get stabbed or shot. Or do the shooting or stabbing. Its all sad and wrong but unfortunately, seems to be a human specialty since Cain & Abel.

:o Swords seem to be the prefered weapon of aggression both in Isaan and here in Bangkok...but correct me as I have been wrong a millon times...most thais keep a sword in their possion rather than a gun...but then I have been wrong a million tmes...does this ring true ...?? Rspect to our supa moderator whose quote I have plaigerised....it is a society of servitude and all that implys.. :D

Yes mabe further down but the bottom line to it is there is far too many shootings here now.

At last, a post I can agree with :D

The posted figures are 7 years old. That should answer all of the above questions regarding Iraq, etc etc. OK?

Who knows what the current rate is? Can anyone find any figures that are within the past 2 years?

And yes, undercover, the bottom line is, there are far too many murders here, not just shootings but all murders. I don't particularly care where Thailand ranks when I see someone I know get stabbed or shot. Or do the shooting or stabbing. Its all sad and wrong but unfortunately, seems to be a human specialty since Cain & Abel.

General Comment.

Lets keep this thread Thailand related, based on facts. The second this post goes off the rails, it will be closed.

Seems like an off topic comment to me. Have some respect. :D

Go ahead and close the thread now if you're so uptight! :o

And there have been quite a few recent shootings.

Even foreigners are getting shot.

A bullet caught a poor new zealand lady recently in a drive by shooting.

LOL ... WAY outta date statistics ...... rather suspect numbers IN the statistics .... and silly overall to think this applies to foriegners (errr farang actually)

Calm down, please.

where is the little emoticon for butting my head against a brick wall there, endure?????

So much for having a valid discussion of a topic which seriously affects all expats.

again ... it is silliness and doesn't affect expats to any real/measurable degree .... try finding some current info please :D

Trying to stay on topic, though I've not expended that amount of time in this, but I still can't find any reliable source for current {guess that would be 2005 maybe 2006} data sets. Whilst I can understand the desire to keep 'bad news' quiet it is odd that there is a dearth of data readily available.

Though this is true for other data sets as well, unemployment for example. I also recall reading a Phuket report which showed that the Tourist figures were physically impossible compared to the airports own movement data, go figure, pun intended.

Regards

/edit format //

Edited by A_Traveller

Calm down, please.

If this is a topic which seriously affects all expats do you have any statistics as to how many expats are actually affected by gun violence in Thailand? What percentage of gun violence is directed towards expats?

Statistics are a great thing but like almost anything it looks larger than life on paper. I'm from Philadelphia, PA, USA we average 5 or more shootings per night in a city 25% the size of Bangkok. Now take a state like South Dakota (where I relocated to before moving to Thailand) the population is only 850,000 people and 400 miles side to side 375 top to bottom and they average 10 shootings a year among the drunk cowboys, go figure thugs and gangsters are more violent than cowboys. I honestly feel you need to take statistics with a grain of salt. Yes, I feel very safe here, never felt safer in my life.

no - iraq, sierra leone, liberia, haiti, cambodia etc etc - a very select sample. I think if it included all countries Thailand would be much further down

The United Nations list only includes countries that report their crime statistics. Obviously the countries you named don't. The U.N. doesn't have the personnel to go to Iraq, Sierra Leone, Liberia, etc. to keep score.

General Comment.

Lets keep this thread Thailand related, based on facts. The second this post goes off the rails, it will be closed.

Not very friendly, is it?

Hey, I'm a real friendly guy!! :D Just trying to do everyone a favour.

As a mod, this type of thread is same-old, same-old if they aren't kept on a particularly tight leash.

Starts off innocent enough.

Someone then starts the yank bashing, introducing a very tenuous link between Thailand and certain incidents in the US.

Someone comes into defend the whatever US ammendemnt it is

Starts not being not very Thai related.

Starts getting all personal.

Lots of posts are then deleted by us mods.

We then close it.

So lets try and keep the chat/debate intelligent. Look at it this way, I'm saving the yank/brit/aussie bashing in advance. You should be thanking me bwotha.

I for one, thank you for clipping it before it started. If a pizza thread can bring up America bashing, for sure a gun control topic will. :o

As for the topic, I heard that there was a Songkran shooting on Soi Cowboy, right by Asoke. Can anyone confirm this? I can't recall every hearing of a shooting in the area in my time here.

Mabe we should say where we are in the country as I think that would possibly explain some people not realy seeing the dangers, I live in shotgun city (Pattaya) here we see new shootings and murders on the tv every day, some people living in quieter places wont be seeing this, some people might say thats just the tv, ok it is but the murders are not staged they are taking place, also in my time here I have seen a few shootings first hand and Im not talking about hanging out on the bridge that runs from Bali high to south pattaya, possibly the most dodgy place in the city at night, Ive seen one in Naklua, two in soi portisan, and one in central pattaya.

I generally feel safe in Thailand as well despite the statistics. Knowing that there are many guns out there allows one to be polite and avoid confrontation.

You are probably more likely to die from a coconut falling from a tree than from catching a stray bullet.

Approximately 30 people a year are killed in Thailand from falling coconuts. :D

Watch out! :o

Edited by borracho

30 a year? I've heard it's 150 or so worldwide. And even that is hard to prove. Where are the statistics?

I think you're much more likely to die from a stray bullet, especially if you live in Pattaya. Still, probably not likely.

Edited by Jimjim

The last stray bullet that killed somebody I can remember was the one that killed that young man waiting at the traffic lights on third road.

Cant remember the last coconut but I always look before I sit down under a tree.

Girl powdering her nose outside a bar was hit by 11mm stray bullet in the head a couple of days ago here in pattya, luckyly she was not killed the bullet was just falling from the sky fired somwhere else in pattaya according to police.