None Thai Marriage Cert Conversion

Hi looking for help/advice on easiest way to go about getting our marriage certificate (Tanzania) recognised here in Thai.

Me (British), Wife (Thai) were married in Tanzania, whilst i lived and worked there.

This was in 2014. We live near Korat.

Any help will be gratefully recieved

DarrenSpencer

I had our marriage certificate (Australia) translated and certified about 4 years ago.

I initially used Isaan Lawyers who are located in Korat, however they made a couple of stupid mistakes with the translation which resulted in my Missus getting someone at the Buriram University to translate it to Thai.

I personally wanted to go back and get Isaan Lawyers to make the corrections but my Missus as usual knew better and it took a whole lot of time to get the second one done. The mistake/s they made were, on the marriage certificate it says "Bridegroom" and I had signed underneath. They instead of writing my name wrote " write your name here".

Once you have the translation you will need to take it to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bangkok to have it certified. We did that and had them post the certified document back to us rather than wait in Bangkok for a couple of days.

Once you have the certified copy you will need to go to your local Amphur office and have your marriage registered there. They will then be able to provide you with a TM?? (sorry can't remember the number) which you will need to present to Immigration. I have heard that some Immigration offices like to get the TM?? dated the same day as when you apply for a Visa/Extension.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OOTAI said:

DarrenSpencer

I had our marriage certificate (Australia) translated and certified about 4 years ago.

I initially used Isaan Lawyers who are located in Korat, however they made a couple of stupid mistakes with the translation which resulted in my Missus getting someone at the Buriram University to translate it to Thai.

I personally wanted to go back and get Isaan Lawyers to make the corrections but my Missus as usual knew better and it took a whole lot of time to get the second one done. The mistake/s they made were, on the marriage certificate it says "Bridegroom" and I had signed underneath. They instead of writing my name wrote " write your name here".

Once you have the translation you will need to take it to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bangkok to have it certified. We did that and had them post the certified document back to us rather than wait in Bangkok for a couple of days.

Once you have the certified copy you will need to go to your local Amphur office and have your marriage registered there. They will then be able to provide you with a TM?? (sorry can't remember the number) which you will need to present to Immigration. I have heard that some Immigration offices like to get the TM?? dated the same day as when you apply for a Visa/Extension.

Ok thats sound very useful info thanks.

So no need to have my UK Embassy involved, as i just found out they dont offer this service any more.

Also, for clarity, it has to be Ministry in Bangkok, there is no local office who can provide this service?

Edited by DarrenSpencer
Additional question

29 minutes ago, DarrenSpencer said:

Ok thats sound very useful info thanks.

So no need to have my UK Embassy involved, as i just found out they dont offer this service any more.

Also, for clarity, it has to be Ministry in Bangkok, there is no local office who can provide this service?

As far as I know it is only able to be done in Bangkok (the certification that is) but when you go there get your wife to apply for the certification as when I did it and they rejected me and my wife had to start from the beginning again and get in the back of the queue. They said I didn't have a valid visa to be able to apply. Not sure why but can't argue if those situations just have to do as you are told.

Once again I emphasise that if you get Isaan lawyers to translate try and get someone to check their translation before you go to Bangkok. The translation has to match exactly what is written on the certificate. Maybe your wife is proficient in written English (mine isn't) and she can check it.

Good luck

Edited by OOTAI
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OOTAI said:

As far as I know it is only able to be done in Bangkok (the certification that is) but when you go there get your wife to apply for the certification as when I did it and they rejected me and my wife had to start from the beginning again and get in the back of the queue. They said I didn't have a valid visa to be able to apply. Not sure why but can't argue if those situations just have to do as you are told.

Once again I emphasise that if you get Isaan lawyers to translate try and get someone to check their translation before you go to Bangkok. The translation has to match exactly what is written on the certificate. Maybe your wife is proficient in written English (mine isn't) and she can check it.

Good luck

Thanks Ootai, thats very helpful.

The marriage certificate has to be legalised by the country that issued it, in this case Tanzania, unless you also registered the marriage in The UK. In that case the UK might be able to legalise it. Don't hold your breath on that.

After having the document legalised by the government of Tanzania you have to translate the docuemnt into Thai and next certify the document with the Thai government (consular department in Bangkok)  There is also a consular department in Chiang Mai and there might be one in Isaan. (Contact the consular department about that. (www.consular.go.th). 

Having done all that make copies of all documents for future reference and submit the documents with a Thai amphur.

• Like 2

@DarrenSpencer 

First check the requirements for registering your foreign marriage at your local Amphoe.

As well as proof of a foreign marriage, some also request a certified and legalised copy of your passport.

As a British citizen, the certified copy can been completed by the British Embassy, then translated and both legalised by the MFA.

@Preacher is perfectly correct.

19 minutes ago, Preacher said:

The marriage certificate has to be legalised by the country that issued it, in this case Tanzania, unless you also registered the marriage in The UK. In that case the UK might be able to legalise it.

The marriage certificate must first be authenticated (legalised) by the department of Foreign Affairs from the issuing Country, then certified by the Thai Embassy in Tanzania.

In Thailand it then has to be translated into Thai and both the marriage certificate and translation legalised by the Consular section of Thailand's MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs.)

The Amphoe will then register your foreign marriage.

There is an exception to the above procedure. The US Embassy in Thailand for example will certify an 'affidavit' attesting to the validity of a US marriage certificate, which can then be translated, both legalised by the MFA and accepted by the Amphoe's.

Your issue is complicated because the nearest Tanzanian Embassy is in Kuala Lumpur.

I would advise you initially contact them about how to get your Tanzanian marriage certificate legalised to be accepted as an authentic document in Thailand.

The Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania

Chancery: High Commission of the United Republic of Tanzania,
44 Jalan U-Thant,
55000 Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia
Tel: (603) 4251 7603
Fax: (603) 4251 5641
E-mail: [email protected]

• Thanks 1