‘English pilot’ romance scam shot down in Udon Thani

snoop1130

‘English pilot’ romance scam shot down in Udon Thani

By The Nation

800_c72a3d47431d26f.jpg

An English heartthrob turned out to be a crook after flirting with a Thai woman for several days and asking her to transfer Bt24,000 to his account.

Police in Chaiwan, Udon Thani, were contacted by a woman who had been chatting online with a man who claimed to be a rich airline pilot from England.

After just four days of talking on social media, the so-called pilot expressed his desire to meet and even marry the woman. He then sent her pictures of expensive gifts he said he had bought for her, before asking her for the address he should send them to.

Seven hours later, he said the package had arrived and gave her a telephone number to arrange delivery. She called the number and spoke to a man who spoke in Thai and said she would have to pay Bt24,000 for the delivery service. She quickly realised that she was being scammed, and blocked the online Romeo.

Chaiwan police warned women to be on their guard against such online romance scams, adding that women in other countries had already lost money after falling for the “English pilot”.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389256

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-08

15 hours ago, rvaviator said:

I wonder if immigration will have his photo on a ID hot list should he try and enter Thailand 

I'd reckon that is a strip mall in USA not UK where the outlets are called FeDEx Station no FeDex Office

Just some innocent guy who posted a pic it would be ridiculous to apprehend based on a photo

used by romance scammers.

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

This is a common Nigerian Scam. They steal photos and impersonate that person to scam women out of money after claiming to send expensive gifts or money. Then have a local contact to claim money for delivery.  

Really???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

This is a common Nigerian Scam. They steal photos and impersonate that person to scam women out of money after claiming to send expensive gifts or money. Then have a local contact to claim money for delivery.  

Just now, AgMech Cowboy said:

Really???? 

???? 

About 4 years ago a Thai lady was showing me this guy she was chatting with that claimed he was a British pilot too.  I told her it was a scam but she was reluctant to believe me.

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I'd reckon that is a strip mall in USA not UK where the outlets are called FeDEx Station no FeDex Office

Just some innocent guy who posted a pic it would be ridiculous to apprehend based on a photo

used by romance scammers.

Good point !   Looking at the address number above the door ... That is probably the US ... I could never understand why the 'house number' tend to be so high .. ???? 

Edited by rvaviator

3 hours ago, rwill said:

About 4 years ago a Thai lady was showing me this guy she was chatting with that claimed he was a British pilot too.  I told her it was a scam but she was reluctant to believe me.

I have a Thai wealthy friend who my wife said was contacting a so called American army officer who supposedly had served in Afghanistan. Like you, I told her it was a scam, but she was reluctant to believe me. An opposite of the falang being ripped off by the beautiful Thai girl who lubs him forever, I suppose.

• Like 1