Immigration International Volunteers

Sundown

I have nothing but praise for the officers in Nakhon Pathom immigration.  They have been helpful when I badly needed it, always professional, efficient, and friendly enough.  Once I was standing in front of the Wat nearby (Rai Khing) and a car pulled up, three of the officers stepped out and two came directly towards me.  I had my passport, visa, 90 day paper, etc. all in order in my messenger bag but nonetheless I felt a cold chill seeing them approach me so seriously.  The tall one smiled, stood to one side of me, the second one stood on my other side and the third one took out his phone and aimed it at us as the first one looked at me and asked simply, Tai ruup, ok, maai?

Ok.  They shot a few pics with me and we all grinned and did wais and off they went.  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 5:09 PM, Sundown said:

What's their problem?

Phuket syndrome? 

I saw some at CM and they were patient beyond patient.. one guy kept asking the same question over and over, more hysterical each time, and they kept reassuring him he was ok... 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Try speaking Thai to them then. 

I don't understand your problem,

They are put there by the Thai Immigration Department to check the application documents.

If you like it or not doesn't really matter but for a lot of people they are a welcome source of information and help.

If your paperwork is in order it only takes a few minutes.

Showing of that you can speak Thai does not have any relevant to their work for the foreigners.

• Like 2

As with any group of people, there is a normal distribution of characteristics. I have the (dis)pleasure of visiting Phuket Immigration a few times every year. Yes, there are some foreign volunteers who seem to revel in their 'power', but they seem to work mainly downstairs and who also mirror the general attitude of many of the IOs in that particular office. The upstairs office, and I have met with most of the volunteers there, are, to a person, very polite, knowledgeable and helpful. I have witnessed them lose their composure on a few occasions when dealing with arrogant expats who seem unwilling to take advice and know al the answers despite asking questions... It's also worth noting that the volunteers are working in their second, third or even fourth language for, as their title indicates, no payment.

I, for one, am happy they are there.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 9:00 PM, couchpotato said:

Just gone back thru your posts. Your obvious distaste for Thai people is quite alarming, quite racist actually. If you are indeed in Thailand, then perhaps you shouldn't be.

As for the international volunteers, who help and give information to many many foreigners a day at immigration offices around Thailand. They give their time and are appreciated by most. So why the hatred??

If you are deliberately and unjustly treated badly by anyone of any nationality, you are entitled to hate them, as long as you don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Edited by possum1931

These well meaning simpletons who volunteer do not realise what their efforts are responsible for.....

The complete lack of improvement in the Immigration Dept. dealings for some 30+ years (my time coming here).

You can bet your life that if the IO's had to personally deal with the huge amounts of paperwork the volunteers currently check, they would have progressed to computerising the processing of data a long time ago.

Most of the forms, photos and photocopies are never likely to be looked at again, can you imagine how many trees are chopped down to make all this unnecessary paperwork ?

HELP SAVE THE PLANET VOLUNTEERS AND STOP DOING THEIR JOB, THINGS WOULD THEN CHANGE SOON ENOUGH !

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2020 at 7:59 PM, northsouthdevide said:

Visiting immigration every 3 months can be a stressful experience for many, so imagine how those guys feel, having to do it every day... 

Rather them than me. 

When did a 90 days report become stressful? 

• Haha 1

Throughout the years I've seen many different volunteers in Phuket Immigration, 95% of them are nice. There used to be big African American lady, she was very helpful, also the old guy wearing French and English tags is cool.

But few years ago there was an Aussie guy, true scumbag....when I asked him perfectly normal question he said: "if you don't like it, you can always leave Thailand". I swear to God, wanted to whack him straight across the mouth. I live here for 19 years, deep roots, family, properties and other stuff which someone like him can only dream about, and this loser shooting his piehole away. Perfect example of relevance deprivation disorder kicking in big time. Otherwise, why waste your life on tropical island by being an a$$hole stuck 5 days a week in crammy immigration office instead of enjoying the beaches, traveling, socializing etc?

Edited by BMW Overlander
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

Throughout the years I've seen many different volunteers in Phuket Immigration, 95% of them are nice. There used to be big African American lady, she was very helpful, also the old guy wearing French and English tags is cool.

But few years ago there was an Aussie guy, true scumbag....when I asked him perfectly normal question he said: "if you don't like it, you can always leave Thailand". I swear to God, wanted to whack him straight across the mouth. I live here for 19 years, deep roots, family, properties and other stuff which he only can dream about, and this loser shooting his piehole away. Perfect example of relevance deprivation disorder kicking in big time. Otherwise, why waste your life on tropical island by being an a$$hole stuck 5 days a week in crammy immigration office instead of enjoying the beaches, traveling, socializing etc?

Luckily that Aussie guy is already long gone ????

2 hours ago, Honesto said:

You can bet your life that if the IO's had to personally deal with the huge amounts of paperwork the volunteers currently check, they would have progressed to computerising the processing of data a long time ago.

Bangkok Chaeng Wattana does not have foreign immigration volunteers, and it is the biggest and busiest immigration department. As you probably know, it processes literally thousands of various applications and reports on a daily basis.

Chaeng Wattana still uses paper copies for everything. In some instances they won't even accept copies; it has to be original documents only.

Since the one year extension moved down to room 103 more than 3 years now ?? I have never seen a volunteer. There is a Thai IO outside who helps with papers and pre screens. Gives a number. Know this guy for more than 20 years. Pleasant officer. 

• Like 1

Only been dealing with the upstairs ones on a yearly basis, and they are very helpfull and a great addition to this already stressful process of renewing permits of stay. No idea how they do this job, as they are caught between foreigners who don't really respect them and IO's who also don't really respect them. Add to that the stressful moment due to changes in regulations coming from Bangkok and it sounds like a nightmare to work there. 

Anyone got a clue why they do it?

Why spend your free time to sit in immigration and help people who don't respect you, while you could also go sit in a bar at 10AM and drink beer?

(all joking aside, they should get a salary for their work and some more credit: most do a great job! )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Honesto said:

These well meaning simpletons who volunteer do not realise what their efforts are responsible for.....

The complete lack of improvement in the Immigration Dept. dealings for some 30+ years (my time coming here).

Most of the forms, photos and photocopies are never likely to be looked at again, can you imagine how many trees are chopped down to make all this unnecessary paperwork ?

HELP SAVE THE PLANET VOLUNTEERS AND STOP DOING THEIR JOB, THINGS WOULD THEN CHANGE SOON ENOUGH !

simpletons.....Oh the irony.

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Interesting that the Op has only ever made one post and seems to have joined the forum just to post it-sock or troll?

Actually. I posted and answered another time, answering also to your "nice" words and explaining about the picture I had posted previously.

You assume a lot of things (wrong). You are a bit distracted, and you dream an immigration "smart" car. Your profile is perfect to be a volunteer at immigration. Send your application now!???? 

https://www.phuket-tourist-police-volunteers.com/join.html

Edited by Sundown
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Actually. I posted and answered another time, answering also to your "nice" words and explaining about the picture I had posted previously.

You assume a lot of things (wrong). You are a bit distracted, and you dream an immigration "smart" car. Your profile is perfect to be a volunteer at immigration. Send your application now!???? 

I am afraid that you are confusing Tourist Police Volunteers  ( https://www.phuket-tourist-police-volunteers.com/join.html ) with Immigration Volunteers ( http://piv-phuket.com/ )

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, federicoP said:

I am afraid that you are confusing Tourist Police Volunteers  ( https://www.phuket-tourist-police-volunteers.com/join.html ) with Immigration Volunteers ( http://piv-phuket.com/ )

Phuket immigration volunteers are part of phuket police volunteers, since they wear exactly the same uniform. Or anyway, those that I was referring to have the Phuket police uniform and are usually at the desk at ground floor. 

Edited by Sundown
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sundown said:

Have a look at the person I quoted Snowflake. Here's a hint- it wasn't you.

Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted. A but quick off the  mark to castigate me has made you look rather foolish.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Have a look at the person I quoted Snowflake. Here's a hint- it wasn't you.

Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted. A but quick off the  mark to castigate me has made you look rather foolish.

Well OP is the poster of the thread, always. I understand what you mean now. See ya

Edited by Sundown

6 hours ago, Sundown said:

Phuket immigration volunteers are part of phuket police volunteers, since they wear exactly the same uniform. Or anyway, those that I was referring to have the Phuket police uniform and are usually at the desk at ground floor. 

I can guarantee you that the immigration volunteers have totally nothing to do with the toerist police volunteers.

better look good as their uniforms are not the same except that both are white ????

14 hours ago, Sundown said:

Wrong.

Re: Phuket volunteers. A thankless job trying to appease a group of elderly farangs from different backgrounds. Their English website is upgraded daily as situations change  Local office (Thais)  has improved over the years. Drive thru for 90 day reporting exceeded my expectations. Kudos to all who serve.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Since the one year extension moved down to room 103 more than 3 years now ?? I have never seen a volunteer. There is a Thai IO outside who helps with papers and pre screens. Gives a number. Know this guy for more than 20 years. Pleasant officer. 

Extensions are upstairs, room 204, well at least marriage extensions are. Very pleasant volunteer, Korean i think or possible Chinese.

20 hours ago, Max69xl said:

When did a 90 days report become stressful? 

Try to think beyond your own selfish little life.

Not everyone's reports work on line.

Not everyone can leap on to a bike for a pleasant jaunt down town to the drive through.

Some people are disabled or otherwise infirm and making a report in person can be difficult. This is not helped when IO's refuse an application delivered by a wife, but will greedily welcome one from an agent.

18 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Room 103 is not big enough to have volunteers working there and they also don’t have the manpower to man 3 office’s.

People are sent to room 204 if they have any problems or have questions about their retirement extension application.

• Like 1