More heavy rains anticipated in Thailand

rooster59

More heavy rains anticipated in Thailand

40158728_10161072592430085_3375104357690245120_o.jpg

Thai people have been warned to brace for more and isolated heavy rain, from tomorrow (Saturday) until next Tuesday, due to the impact of a depression over the upper South China Sea.

Thailand’s Meteorological Department said today that, at about 10am today, the depression was moving north at a speed of 25kph, with 55kph wind speeds at its centre.

The depression is gaining strength and is expected to develop into tropical storm as it heads toward landfall in southern China on Sunday or Monday, said the Met Office, adding that this will cause more rain and isolated heavy showers in Thailand.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/more-heavy-rains-anticipated-in-thailand/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-06-13

Does 'isolated showers' mean that most of us will not get them?

Looking on Google Earth, if the depression is in the upper South China Sea and moving north, it is not very close to Thailand, with Vietnam in the way. OK, I appreciate that it is a depression which will 'suck' winds into itself. 

And are they 'self-isolated '.   PML

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 1

Isolated heavy rains forecast for many parts of Thailand

By THE NATION

800_d70025380e94e71.jpg

The Thailand Meteorological Department forecast on Saturday (June 13) that the southwest monsoon prevailing over the Andaman Sea and Thailand is strengthening and bringing isolated heavy rains in the Northeast, the East and the South (west coast).

The department also mentioned that tropical storm “Nuri” over the upper South China Sea is expected to make landfall over the South of China on June 13-14.

The weather forecast for the next 24 hours is as follows:

Northern region: Partly cloudy with thundershowers in 30 per cent of the areas; temperature lows of 24-28 degrees Celsius and highs of 36-39°C.

Northeastern region: Mostly cloudy with thundershowers in 40 per cent of the areas and isolated heavy rains; temperature lows of 25-27°C and highs of 34-36°C.

Central region: Partly cloudy with thundershowers in 30 per cent of the areas; temperature lows of 24-26°C, highs of 34-38°C.

Eastern region: Mostly cloudy with thundershowers in 40 per cent of the areas and isolated heavy rains; temperature lows of 25-28°C, highs of 31-37°C; waves a metre high and two metres during thundershowers.

Southern region (east coast): Mostly cloudy with thundershowers in 60 per cent of the areas; temperature lows of 24-26°C, highs of 32-35°C; waves a metre high and two metres during thundershowers.

Southern region (west coast): Mostly cloudy with thundershowers in 60 per cent of the areas and isolated heavy rains; temperature lows of 23-25°C, highs of 30-33°C; waves 1-2 metres high and two metres during thundershowers.

Bangkok and surrounding areas: Partly cloudy with thundershowers in 30 per cent of the areas; temperature lows of 26-27°C, highs of 35-37°C.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389557

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-13

As I am typing this from Sisaket, closer to the South China Sea than most other provinces of Thailand, the sky is bright blue with very few white clouds...

We need the rain, but we don't see it coming...maybe the depression has changed tack during the night...

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1

Lol  -"more" heavy rains. Since the official start of the rainy season almost a month ago I think we've had 1 heavy and 2 light rains in Chon Buri which have done little or nothing to alleviate the water situation here.

Which doesn't seem to stop the locals from rushing out to wash their vehicles as soon as the water is turned on again for a few minutes every other day or so.
I swear, if the water wasn't running for a week and the government said they'd turn on the taps for just 5 minutes on day 8 and that would be it for another week, 3/4s of the people around me would be rushing to wash their cars/trucks/minivans during that 5 minutes.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

good ....  i hope it floods everywhere

That would be monumental, be time to cut the mooring ropes on the Ark I have been building ????

Believe every reservoir in the North East is at critically low levels, UdonRat (the biggest) is as low as its ever been, if they were all to fill up and still flood be interesting! ????

• Haha 1

Nah. It's been hot as hell, mostly sunny and hardly an indication we're supposedly in the rainy season for the past 10 days. I'll believe it's raining when I look outside my window. Until then I expect this drought to continue for several more weeks; wouldn't be surprised if most of Thailand doesn't see any rain until next month.