Renewal of car insurance and road tax in view of current travel restrictions

nokia

Hi guys,

My car insurance (Viraya) and road tax will be expiring in a few months' time. 

As I am presently not in LOS (Thailand), and in view of the current travel restrictions due to Covid-19, I wonder whether there will be any penalty for late renewal?

Perhaps I can renew the insurance online but I dont think I will be able to renew the road tax including the car inspection (car is more than 7 years), until the travel restrictions are lifted.

Any thoughts or comments especially from expats who travel back and forth from LOS?

Cheers

Let me check with Viraya regarding insuring online. Btw, what is the usual penalty for late payment of gov insurance & road tax? Is it 1% per month and is there any maximum limit in terms of months for late renewal? Thank you.

The government insurance can be bought (from Viraya) at the same time as you buy your main car insurance.

The fee is very little for late renewal of road tax ... and no limit as to how long you can leave it...years if you want ... you just have to pay all the back tax when you go to re-tax.

• Like 1

Understand from JAS21 that fee is very little for late renewal of road tax. What would be the penalty for non-payment or late payment of road tax if the driver is stopped by traffic police, since there are frequent police checks on the roads?