Social media abuzz! This example of Thai parking might astound you!

rooster59

7 hours ago, DaLa said:

I'm not excusing this but some of the mult-storey car parks are a night-mare to navigate.  I used the one at Manchester airport and it  indicated there were 14 places available. I drove around for 20 minutes trying to find one I could get my medium size van into before having to PAY before leaving without parking.

I know we 'knock' the Thais with their driving , but one aspect I've noticed here is that a large percentage of them reverse park which is far safer than the majority of people in the UK that have little concept ( or skills) of this.

My driving instructor told me Drive In, Reverse Out when I learned to drive 50 years ago. On the theory that your less likely to hit the car, wall what ever going in and reverse out because you have much more room.

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

An easy solution to stop the driver from doing it again would be to clamp a wheel and they would have to pay a fine to have it removed .

I think it's just auto social distancing. 

Seriously, who in the garage would conceivably care enough to clamp the wheel ? 

And perhaps rightfully so. Just wag your head and move on. Don't sweat the small stuff. 

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's well known that Thai drivers don't park. They simply stop driving.

This car is probably owned and driven by some cranky, uppity, retired, knowitall farang anyway.

Have you seen the effort they put just to make a turn , my god they cannot turn a steering wheel , Gikiat 

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She posed the question: "Who taught them to park like that?".

No one is the answer.....

Every day from my window I watch a neighbour trying to reverse into a parking space, she shunts forwards and backwards multiple times and gets into all sorts of bother, she lowers the door window and you can see her using the side mirrors but gets confused about which way to turn the steering wheel..

eventually she drives out then drives back in front first. 
So the early morning entertainment is watching her trying to reverse out of the parking spot !!!

Hilarious.

12 hours ago, roger101 said:

My driving instructor told me Drive In, Reverse Out when I learned to drive 50 years ago. On the theory that your less likely to hit the car, wall what ever going in and reverse out because you have much more room

We were told that you never reverse out into traffic. That is why we were taught reverse parking .

Haven't seen it yet in Thailand but in Saudi, way back in the 80's, they would double park and leave the handbrake off, so the car could be moved by one who had already parked but was boxed in.

As for what they used to to with the building of the first roundabouts ....

Cutting corners,in Australia they used to have a metal disc at the junction so you couldn't cut.

Here they are just getting used to the sleeping policemen...

23 hours ago, DaLa said:

I'm not excusing this but some of the mult-storey car parks are a night-mare to navigate.  I used the one at Manchester airport and it  indicated there were 14 places available. I drove around for 20 minutes trying to find one I could get my medium size van into before having to PAY before leaving without parking.

I know we 'knock' the Thais with their driving , but one aspect I've noticed here is that a large percentage of them reverse park which is far safer than the majority of people in the UK that have little concept ( or skills) of this.

You paid for something you couldn't get????

18 hours ago, LOS1 said:

Reminds me of back in the US some cars parked like that so no door scratches from adjacent cars.???? 

But plenty from aggravated drivers trying to find a parking space. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, bodga said:

Is  that  all the "soshulmeeedia" plebs  have to worry  about, why not  look more at your own appalling driving skills, start  simple ,see if you can keep  all 4  wheels  on the right side of the white  line (when visible)  especially at corners.

Yeah that parkings  really going to injure someone, what they might get a blister  having to walk  2  metres farther to the  store entry.

Erm ... I was taught by a UK police driving instructor to use the whole width of the road where appropriate and with adequate vision ahead. Allows you to flatten curves of bends and to see oncoming traffic when approaching blind bends earlier than you would if sticking within your own lane.

Sounds mental but it works well in practice. I move back into 'my' lane well before I've frightened any oncoming driver

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, colinneil said:

Who taught them to park like that? Answer nobody, even taught them how to drive.

What are you complainin about! 

There's enough room either side, for you to park your wheels. ???? How much room do you need. ????