Exchange Rates

pipchatel

Hiyou all. I am just about to move some cash from the U K.

I see on the Web such a big variation of the rate between GBP and the Thai Baht.

THAI VISA today 69.8 (19th April)

Bloomberg 65.7

FX 66.4

Bangkok bank 68.4

Any comments on the higher rates qouted . My HSBC bank in the UK wont qoute untill I actually make the Transfere. Where can I get good info? a lot of money involved

. Thanks Pip

onshore rates are more, anything outside thailand will be far less. I suggest you make sure the conversion is done after the transfer to thailand.

Yes, I have found you definitely get a much better rate when transferring foreign currency to Thailand and having the FX happen here (rather than the alternative, converting your money to THB overseas and sending the THB to Thailand).

what about when you use your key card in thailand its still accessing your offshore account but withdrawing in thailand what rate do you get onshore or offshore?

reason i ask is im going over for a month and have 5 grand saved but i dont want to carry that uch cash with me was thinking of taking half in cash and other half on my key card

onshore rates are more, anything outside thailand will be far less. I suggest you make sure the conversion is done after the transfer to thailand.

Yes, I have found you definitely get a much better rate when transferring foreign currency to Thailand and having the FX happen here (rather than the alternative, converting your money to THB overseas and sending the THB to Thailand).

Thank you Guys great advise. HSBC UK today offered me 62.5 Thats really grim Apart from Going Back (not Home) and bringing the cash back how do can HSBC send sterling then into Baht, Should I open an HSBC account in Thailand first?? Or can Bangkok bank do it?? I value your good advise. Ill be bust soon at that rate

Thanks again

Pip

Thank you Guys great advise. HSBC UK today offered me 62.5 Thats really grim Apart from Going Back (not Home) and bringing the cash back how do can HSBC send sterling then into Baht, Should I open an HSBC account in Thailand first?? Or can Bangkok bank do it?? I value your good advise. Ill be bust soon at that rate

Thanks again

Pip

If you are transferring from a bank account in the UK to a bank account in Thailand, you should simply be able to choose that you're sending GBP. The receiving bank will take care of the conversion into THB, assuming it's a THB account of course.

(Open an account with a Thai bank, if you don't already have one, it's easy and you don't need a work permit despite what people might try to tell you. There are 1000 threads on TV on this subject.)