Glue for hard plastic

Maybole

I have no idea which forum to post this in, so, I am going for maximum exposure.

The tray under the freezing compartment (believe it is called the meat tray) in my refrigerator has cracked. The shop I bought it from says no spares are available and since it is already 5 years old I should buy a new refrigerator.

I believe that it can be repaired using the correct adhesive (for hard clear plastic) but I am ignorant of which glue to buy.

Advice please.

You need to identify the specific type of "hard clear plastic" that your refrigerator tray is made from, because it makes a big difference. If I had to guess with no other information, I would say it is probably acrylic, in which case you are going to need to buy an acrylic cement.

May be tough to find in Thailand, but you can check at your local hardware store, or something like this might work:

https://shopee.co.th/กาวสำหรับติดพลาสติกและอะครีลิค-เนื้อกาวสีใส-ยี่ห้อ-Scotch-3M-40-ml-Plastic-Acrylic-Adhesive-i.65626829.1512080687

Best to be absolutely sure what plastic you are trying to glue though, because the adhesive needs to be matched to the activation energy of the plastic. "Hard clear plastic" is not sufficiently descriptive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maybole said:

Advice please.

We were told the same about our 15 year old fridge buy a new fridge because of a broken shelf yeah right, I just bought a plastic common household tray, they come in different sizes and just cut it to fit the fridge shelf.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly  Thais are  too lazy to actually  check parts  are available, Wife  had  similar problems with her condos, the parts CAN be found, am not sure  but she usually  calls the manufacturer, try that first

I bought "duct tape" from Lazada a while back.  It doesn't look like the duct tape I am familiar with, but it does a good job sealing things.  I used it to cover a crack in a wash tub; it fixed the leak and doesn't unravel in water.  It has a peel off backing.  Maybe something like that?

Duct tape.jpg

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I bought "duct tape" from Lazada a while back.  It doesn't look like the duct tape I am familiar with, but it does a good job sealing things.  I used it to cover a crack in a wash tub; it fixed the leak and doesn't unravel in water.  It has a peel off backing.  Maybe something like that?

Duct tape.jpg

That isn’t any version of duct tape, it has no elasticity, which a quality duct tape certainly has.

It’s an adhesive coated aluminium tape, excellent if there is no, or virtually no, movement in the covered join.

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That isn’t any version of duct tape, it has no elasticity, which a quality duct tape certainly has.

Yah.  Just said that's what I got looking for "duct tape" on Lazada.  It says "Duct" on the inside - maybe a brand.  (?)  Again, it does a pretty good job on most applications.