Thailand Aims to Turn Away From Mass Tourism and Target the Wealthy

rooster59

1 hour ago, Trolleen said:

I agree with you. Thailand should rid of old farang who complain all the time. It is does not matter what government do. Never positive.

Why they stay in Thailand. ?Why they do not move  somewhere else?

It won't be long before all the farang are gone don't worry. Businesses, expats, tourists all gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trolleen said:

I agree with you. Thailand should rid of old farang who complain all the time. It is does not matter what government do. Never positive.

at least we have the ----- to complain - you try it and see what happens to you, and don't bother escaping to Cambodia, we know what happens to people who do such things

• Like 2

Greatest Hits here. Recall this one:

Your profile is 0% complete!

webfact

Thailand's tourism minister: Everything will be fine after Songkran - the hot weather will blow the virus away!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, burgdawg said:

to the shirts that are of the color red. Not good and certainly not smart. Thailand is destabilizing themselves. T h a k s i n has been given a cause to return.

I love your deliberate wording/phrasing. Probably wise. ????

I for one believe that high end tourists just cannot wait to travel here...being driven around in a coach by some drugged up non driver...going to high end stores in the malls where duty free prices are the same prices as window prices....scrambling for the prawn buffet....

So much more preferable than skiing in St. Moritz....sipping aged cognac on the banks of the Seine....helo flights over the Rockies...etc

Edited by ChrisY1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand Aims to Turn Away From Mass Tourism and Target the Wealthy

Naturally….high dollar, wealthy, and valued visitors will have a choice of fashionable and trendy tracking devices…

Monitor 3 minus.jpg

Edited by Hayduke

18 hours ago, burgdawg said:

TAT is a running comedy show. How many of us punters recall their ill-advised repackaging of Pattaya as the "HoneyMoon Capital of the World?" Recall that two-year stunt? I've heard that many Eastern European couples busted up over that stupid marketing plan. As in formal complaints filed with The Hague.

Medical Tourism? Too pricey. The deal is to get sliced 'n diced in Chennai, Indian. Indian Hospitals are much better and affordable vs Thai Hospitals. Once stable, then fly to Thailand to rehab. India is too rough to rehab. I've done 5 major surgeries in India and their doctors, hospitals and staff are all World Class.

Some of the finest Surgeons in the world.

• Like 1

I have seen a few wealthy people fly first class to where they go, also seen

many wealthy people get off cruise ships in various parts of the world.

They were certainly not in great numbers, as a lot of wealthy people

do not go vacation that often, or for too long.  I think Thailand is dreaming

and some one should shake them awake, before they go totally bankrupt.

Geezer

18 hours ago, retsdon said:

Go and have a look at the boats in the Royal Phuket Marina, and then go and have a look at the boats in Port Hercule Monaco, or even English Harbour, Antigua.

The wealthy do not, and never will, take their holidays on Thailand.

...and by far not fill the number of available hotel rooms

• Like 1

First I really hope tourism will come back to Thailand, as many of my friends and ex-colleague are currently out of job.

But TAT should stop dreaming and facing the reality: a change from Mass tourism back to premium is quite impossible, many countries have tried and ALL have failed. Let not forget that Mass tourism where making the numbers after 2008 where the airport where closed for several weeks during the yellow shirt protest. First came the Indian, Iranian, after 2011 there where the Russian, which been banned from traveling to Egypt after their revolution and a dispute with Putin. Than came more and more the Chinese and the arrivals raised by the millions. 

The reason of medical tourism to Thailand is because Thailand is not better than western countries, but cheaper. And Thailand as shopper paradise?! Today I can buy cheaper in Europe including service, and bargain sales are not fitting in the Premium bracket. S what is it then Numbers (which can only achieved with MASS} or Premium (less occupancy but higher spending; maybe..}.

20 hours ago, garyk said:

Got to love Thailand, one of the most polluted country in the world. Killing it's people, expats, and tourists with pollution and filth and wanting to cater to the rich. Hahaha

I look at these posts like I do paid advertising on TV, trying to sell you junk.

The tourism lady has succeeded  her own personal mission. To kill nightlife and send the country broke. She will be blamed and history soon. Rich tourists lol. I asked my sister who is wealthy due to brother  in law. They said no we wouldn't go. They prefer to support AU

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, NB1986 said:

Definetely i agree with you...i dont think wealthy rich foreigner will walk into street markets, have some street foods instead they will walk into expensive restaurants, so if they are targeting wealthy is obvious that they dont care about how poor people will survive, is obvious also that billionares in Thailand have much more influence than i thought, fee weeks prior to this topic on TVF i saw a post from a richest man in Thai the CP guy said that he suggest and he think it would be best for Thailand that only wealthy tourist visit, the second thing luxury 14 days quarantine rooms have been made... Well good luck Thailand let rich people fill pockets more than ever while poor in Thailand will become more poor. 

Gov don't even bring the untaxed revenue into the picture. They are to dumb

Decades and billions of farang money super boosting the economy..They only account for taxed revenue. They are incompetent fools

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Accidental Tourist said:

But TAT should stop dreaming and facing the reality: a change from Mass tourism back to premium is quite impossible, many countries have tried and ALL have failed.

Not only have countries that tried it failed, but it was usually a sign of impeding decline. Witness Mallorca, where one of the drivers of keeping out low-end tourism is in fact the anti-tourism eco-warrior group, that basically argue that Mallorca should revert to being a crafts and artisan island that makes shoes and leather goods. As a result now that Mallorca has reopened all that has returned is a smattering of family tourists, usually only in the expensive hotels, whereas mid-range hotels stay closed.

This will not be enough to keep Mallorcan tourism going. However, it is a dream come true for the eco-warrior opponents of mass tourism, who basically want tourism to die off altogether.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Trolleen said:

Why don't you

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Not only have countries that tried it failed, but it was usually a sign of impeding decline. Witness Mallorca, where one of the drivers of keeping out low-end tourism is in fact the anti-tourism eco-warrior group, that basically argue that Mallorca should revert to being a crafts and artisan island that makes shoes and leather goods. As a result now that Mallorca has reopened all that has returned is a smattering of family tourists, usually only in the expensive hotels, whereas mid-range hotels stay closed.

This will not be enough to keep Mallorcan tourism going. However, it is a dream come true for the eco-warrior opponents of mass tourism, who basically want tourism to die off altogether.

Spain has only been open again for 2 days. Hardly surprising the numbers are down.

Last year Mallorca had 10 million visitors.

Last week Thailand's tourism minister unveiled a recovery strategy that would see the Southeast Asian nation try to attract well-heeled visitors rather than large numbers, once borders reopen.

The possibility of a "travel bubble" bilateral agreement with Australia was mentioned, with marketing efforts to be re-pitched towards "high-end visitors" and luxury travel, Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said last Thursday.

Around 800,000 Australians visit Thailand each year, meaning the suptropical nation's tourism economy will no doubt be eager to welcome Aussie visitors back as soon as it's safe to do so.

But what does this new pact mean for Aussie travellers who've historically flocked to the jungles, beaches and big cities for a good, cheap time?

Well it may mean, at least initially, travel in Thailand will have a very different look and feel to what we're accustomed to, with many strict new measures to be rolled out, and popular activities and free travel temporarily banned. Revellers seeking out full moon parties, cheap buckets of booze and backpacker-strewn beaches may need to readjust their expectations — and their travel budget. Here's what we know so far.

While the ins and outs of the proposed travel bubble are still being nutted out, Phiphat said agreements wouldn't be ready until at least August, but they hope to welcome visitors from around November to February, during the Northern Hemisphere winter months.

Given that the Australian Government has been saying that borders aren't likely to reopen for overseas travel this year, will a November date be out of the question for Aussies?

"While the proposed November-February target period from Thailand may feel optimistic, it isn't impossible — but it depends on both how Thailand handles any future outbreaks and where Australia and other target visitor countries are at in handling the virus," he tells 9Honey, though admits a 2021 date is more likely at this stage.

• Like 1

Thai Government has made it abundantly clear they do not want anymore "cheap Charlie's," which is their label for anyone not staying at the Dusit Thani.  That's fine! I think we should all assist the Thai government by not booking any flights to their Kingdom. Give them 2 years and they'll be dropping the annual fee for their visa back under $200 USD. Give them enough rope.....

On 6/23/2020 at 12:12 PM, Accidental Tourist said:

a change from Mass tourism back to premium is quite impossible, many countries have tried and ALL have failed.

Placing some emphasis on premium isn't irrational. Thailand already has, and has had, mass tourism and it will likely continue w/o much promotion. A poster above thinks it hasn't failed with Mauritius.

The reason of medical tourism to Thailand is because Thailand is not better than western countries, but cheaper.

That all depends. It can be better as well, depending on what you're getting and where in Western countries.

And Thailand as shopper paradise?! Today I can buy cheaper in Europe including service, and bargain sales are not fitting in the Premium bracket.

You don't really understand the psychology of tourists' spending while on vacation. There's a reason the Ala Moana Center in Honolulu is the largest shopping mall in the world and one of the most successful.

Thailand has bargains but it also has plenty of premium stuff. In fact TVF Economists sneer every time a mall opens that nobody has the money to buy anything in the shops. ????

• Like 1