Danish man wins lawsuit against Thai wife for not sharing assets

rooster59

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the car was a gift of affection and so was the house

Hmmm, the only "gifts of affection" I ever give are an occasional bunch of flowers, a nice set of ear rings or a pendant now and then, perhaps even the new dress or those shoes she's been eyeing for some time. It has never crossed my mind that cars and houses should be regarded as "gifts of affection", let alone potential generous financial contributions to nurse the ailing water buffalo back to health. In other words: When I notice that her only affection is for my assets, she's really not worthy of my... uhm... affection. Period.

I met a person in CM who the courts entitled him to 50% of everything. woman had to pay up or sell the home and divide it. Home got sold. Also met another person who the courts did not agree and lost everything. I think up to the judge and their decision and that is mostly based on if the judge is ok with foreigners or the foreigner he or she sees, or if not ok and does not like foreigners. Thai usually always stick with Thai .

5 hours ago, NumbNut said:

I'm amazed too. I've been in Thailand for ten years now and I've never heard of a single even-handed legal decision like this come down when a defacto relationship was being adjudicated on.

I would think this will heartened a lot of folks in a similar situation.

There have been a number, if you read the press regularly...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Or get a woman that actually earns an income, preferably one higher than yours. 

Our house is in my wife's name and she makes the monthly mortgage payments from her paycheck.

Higher than mine huh, ahahaaa, I wasn't an English Teacher. I was making 300,000 to 450,000 bht/mo.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

An important lesson to be learned here to all those who still believe and trust local spouses...

I trust my wife, she gets the house, the car, the bike, the furniture and the kids, I get all of my money which is overseas ????

That's fair, I have a prenuptial in the old country and she isn't entitled to any of it, like I said, sounds fair, and naturally I would support our kids, no point in crying over spilt milk.

Edited by 4MyEgo

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

I find this story absolutely amazing, the same court gave my ex house, car, motorbikes.

I was left with nothing, not even my clothes that were in the house.

Did you forget the Judges Brown envelope prior to the hearing???

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

I find this story absolutely amazing, the same court gave my ex house, car, motorbikes.

I was left with nothing, not even my clothes that were in the house.

Maybe the judge was "influenced" in this case? (Read whatever you want into "influenced"!)

6 hours ago, Badbanker said:

This is not a legal precedent, as there have been many cases in the past, in which the court has found that the person who invested the money to purchase the assets while in a relationship, retains the right to use the asset or to liquidate them and retrieve the money.

Sadly, it also takes an honest and competent lawyer to do this!  This is where the problem starts as the woman will often cut a deal with your lawyer to mess up your case so she wins. 

Indeed. About 10 years ago my friend won a judgment for 60 million THB against his ex (that he was not legally married to). The court ordered that the property be sold at auction and that my friend recover 70% and the ex retain 30% as a settlement. Unfortunately it was during the economic slowdown of the global financial crisis. The court held 3 auctions and bidding as I recall didn't even reach 40% of the asking price. Not sure what happened after that. I think the lawyers arranged a sale a few years later (for much less money). So justice is possible. 

For many years I married a Thai woman, I paid to buy some land and build a house, bought a car in my name, and bought some things inside the house, one day she said she didn't love me anymore (she didn't never loved, only my money loved) asked me for a divorce she had started with a thai man, I told her that I gave her a divorce when she sold the house and gave me half the money, she said let's divorce then I will sell the house, no I told her, from now and in an hour you go out of this house, and come back here when you sold the house and with half the money, return after 2 weeks with half the money in hand, the next day at 9 we had already divorced, she didn't ask me anything else, she said that if I was still in Thailand if I needed her help to call her, I told her not about you I already did the funeral you died for me and in front of her I canceled the his phone number was very bad for me, but I was very happy, never seen again after hearing he spoke he asked the friends about me, but the friends have the order not to tell him let him know anything about me, he understood it, he stopped asking, within 3 months I made the divorce helped by a woman that I had put together but also with her and finished in a year and a half, I met another real independent woman with her job, her house and also a car, I remarried and for now it's okay, but there is already a clause, you have first problems the money for the plane ticket they are ready set aside. First my tranquility and peaceful life always.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

If you do not trust your local spouse, whay the deleted do you live with her in the first place. I could not live with someone I did not trust, but I believe if I <deleted> her off enough, im out, and she keeps everything thats in here name. So simple and esay it is said.  

exactly, always rent don't buy....There is always a new firmer cow with better milk just around the corner ????