Danish man wins lawsuit against Thai wife for not sharing assets

rooster59

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A bar-girl friend has just told me that this a terrible ruling for her profession. She is reconsidering her position.

I'm sure she's quite used to doing that..... ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

exactly, always rent don't buy....There is always a new firmer cow with better milk just around the corner ????

Well long term rent or not, dependes how you feel about it, how you are grounded, raised, understood your feelings, but for all the broken ones, it seems like short time renting only possible. So up to each and one how you see it. Some still have passion, feelings, empathy and enjoy being with one, so? What else to say. Either whay could end up deleted anyway. Happiness is something you do not know you have before you loose it sometimes, if you do not look at yourselves from outside and in. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, NumbNut said:

I'm amazed too. I've been in Thailand for ten years now and I've never heard of a single even-handed legal decision like this come down when a defacto relationship was being adjudicated on.

I would think this will heartened a lot of folks in a similar situation.

Cant have listened much if this is so big news. Nothing new really if you have a good lawyer and you keep all the bills and bank transferes. A friend of mine also got the house of his wife together with the car.It all comes down to corruption in the system.For myself also I have not lost a penny after my break up after 8 years.But yes there is still many loosing everything because its for sure true love, and dont bother to think ahead.Or more like thinking with the smalest head.Only enough blood for one at the time.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

I have been living in Thailand for over a decade and have had strong relations to the nation for over 20 years. I have always been interested in digging into scrupulous stories about scams in thai. So I have seen and hear a slot through friends.   

The case above is not

special in its own.  If anything special it is that he took it to court.  Which most foreigners don’t. Because in court you will get back most of your belongings. But it depends a great deal if you can trace the money to your account. Ie. when building a house make sure all big and small expenses for construction can be traced back to your account. Also motorbikes and cars.  If being married and you can show proof of this one way money flow even being married and just for a short time, Thai woman have been left with almost nothing in court rulings. 
If being married for let’s say 20 years and having kids then the ruling  be different and more a 50/50 split. 

A funny story about one guy up in Isaan.  He paid for all the house and construction and his gf left him a month after it was all done on her mother’s land. The strange thing about this case was that she left him there alone in the house and took off for weeks. He then went to the local police station and showed all the construction bills. And whereas the agreed to he being the owner of the newly built house. He then organized a big digger and tore down the whole house in A very short time.  Then Drove all what was left away and left too.  The mother to the gf was left with just a plate of cement and the smoke of a farang. 
I guess that’s called a loss of face. 

Briliant story.Exactly the reason I have a 5x10 swimming pool in the middle for the house to fit into.My X was smart enough not to tempt me to fill it in there ,so I stil live there????

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2020 at 10:10 PM, amykat said:

7 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

The system obviously failed, the Thai woman should get everything, my wife told me so.

The only reason he got that much was the proof of transfering money in stages related to making payments. Without that, he would have got nothing.

That is the culture. While totally "unfair" to us westerners, it is not our culture. It is not OUR legal or lawful system.

Getting an agreement before handing over money may make you sticky sh... but if you care about your money, be realistic. 

the court made it clear that the couple had entered a common law marriage and lived together as husband and wife – although not for very long.

this is fascinating, 'common law marriage' is recognised under thai law? what are the criteria for a non-legally married relationship to have legal standing as a ''common law marriage?

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

I find this story absolutely amazing, the same court gave my ex house, car, motorbikes.

I was left with nothing, not even my clothes that were in the house.

Same court but did you get the same judge a she!  maybe she saw something in the Danish?????

• Haha 1

i think anyone that buys a house here and puts it in his wife or gf name needs a check up from the neck up.

if the relationship ever turns bad, it will go horribly wrong for you.

just rent, take care of the woman, and leave her all your assets after you have died by natural causes.

natural causes only, not accidental death........you know what its like in those high shopping centres!!!

easy to slip and fall

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cali farong said:

Don’t put anything in ANY woman’s name that you can’t afford to lose.

Life is full of surprises 

The bigger surprise are all the men that get married and have no idea who they are marrying, thinking with their peanuts and end up getting divorced.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Denim said:

' I love you long time '

This phrase seems to be entirely subjective.

At least he got something back after his long time ran out.

In Thailand you can pay for short time or long time , what you get for it is up to you and the girl . Either way you will be paying for it . 

Strange 15 years ago it was the government office that insisted that they would put my name on the house etc., as the legal married husband I bought these things in wedlock, stating that I have an equal share in everything, wife still thinks in 'cuckoo land' even through the senior told her and gave her the information in Black and white. But, then she is Thai, and the only threat I get is when she wins 6 million baht on lottery then she will give me half and go. I had to remind her that she gives me 3 million and divorced me then she will also have to give me half of her 3 million too. as I paid for the lottery tickets I am entitled to 50 percent then the divorce she will have to share 50 percent of everything else, plus she has to have my permission to divorce too! That gave her a headache!

7 hours ago, Badbanker said:

This is not a legal precedent, as there have been many cases in the past, in which the court has found that the person who invested the money to purchase the assets while in a relationship, retains the right to use the asset or to liquidate them and retrieve the money.

No but there is a strong probability that it will now. You obviously have little knowledge of the legal system in which case law is used extensively to make judicial decisions.

This is a landmark case, maybe, Thailand is coming of age in this department. 

People have walked away in the past because of the advice and beliefs given by patrons of this forum (not necessarily incorrect at that time)

This hopefully is the turning point where the saying don't invest in Thailand what you are not prepared to throw away becomes debatable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

That was not how the judge saw it. According to her, the hearing on Tuesday in the court made it clear that the couple had entered a common law marriage and lived together as husband and wife – although not for very long.

I didn't think Thailand recognized the notion of common law marriage.

If that were the case, a lot more farangs here (who've only gone thru village wedding ceremonies but not legally registered their marriages) would have community property obligations to their partners than currently think they do...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I didn't think Thailand recognized the notion of common law marriage.

I didn't think they did either.

Even in the UK where everyone thinks there is such a thing it is not legally excepted/ no such thing in the eyes of the law

Each partner has to prove that that they are both named on utility bills etc  and prove that they have contributed equability to the house or car beyond all possible doubt.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

I find this story absolutely amazing, the same court gave my ex house, car, motorbikes.

I was left with nothing, not even my clothes that were in the house.

Maybe he got in first with the brown paper envelope offer?????

• Like 1

When will farangs in love learn that their assets go to the girlfriends if they have to leave... There is a rule, do not invest in your so called wife or girlfriend unless u set up an agreement thru lawyers. They get your stuff and walk away into the arms of the Thai boyfriend...or you meet a new one and want to switch... life is like that and you should not put huge moneys into any relationship and especially not in Thailand or Philippines. You want to invest in future life together? Make house for mama? You're sick! By condo for mama and put in your own name! She won't leave you like that...

Edited by P100
  • Like 1