Elephant Camps That Offer Mahout Courses

almarg3088

Hi everybody,

I am now searching for an elephant camp close to Chiang Mai which offers a one day mahout course as I have three eager women wanting to control one of these noble beasts and we have only one spare day top do it.

Can anyone please advise which camp (if any) and it's location relative to Chiang Mai.

Thanks Alan

The Lampang Elephant Hospital / Elephant Conservation Center does.

The other ethically sound elephant operation where you can learn / spend a lot of time with elephants is the Elephant Nature Park.. Expensive, but I've yet to hear from someone who didn't feel it was awesome. They're currently opening a new in town office in a ratherprime location... Business is going well I suppose. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi everybody,

I am now searching for an elephant camp close to Chiang Mai which offers a one day mahout course as I have three eager women wanting to control one of these noble beasts and we have only one spare day top do it.

Can anyone please advise which camp (if any) and it's location relative to Chiang Mai.

Thanks Alan

Lamphang Elephant hospital has mahout courses starting from 1 day to you pick how long. If you look in a Lonely Planet guide book for the contact number and details it's all there. Else wait until I get back on Monday and I will PM it to you.

There are others but they will need more time to negotiate and are a minimum of five days and are much further out. I am not aware of any in the local elephant camp group that offer mahout training, they tend to be more "tourist sits on carabina on elephant and walk around for two hours" type.

You may also like to look up Milton Bradley who posts on thai visa and send him a PM he is involved in the Elephant Rescue project. They do not offer elephant rides or training but they have a farm where abused and injured elephants roam free. Wonderful place run by an amazing woman called "lek". Your friends may be interested in see them there. The camp has on site accomodation - Milton can fill you in on the details

CB

I have also seen falang in the mahout gear at Mae Sa elephant camp on the Mae rim to Samoeng loop road.Lampang elephant hospital definetly does and they have a one month old calf there which is the cutest thing you ever saw.Its about fourty minute drive down the Lampang road.

the elephant conservation center in Lampang has a mahout course.

Its quite easy to get to. Its on the main rd. out of CM. RT 11 all on the way to Lampang provence. Just watch for the signs on the Rd after going over the mountains. but be carefull you dont miss it, the entrance is small.

Not sure if they have a 1 day course, but do know they have courses for a week or more if desired. The longer courses involve a home stay type of program where you live with a Hmong family who are the mahouts at the Center and grads of the longer programs also get to participate in the shows that are offered at the center.

Its well worth the trip there, is an easy drive, makes a good day trip.

Its on my itinerary of things to do and places to go for my standard 50 satang tour when I have visitors.