Just When You Think You've Seen It All ...

rainman

Wats the cashier's reaction?

Cashier takes the card, runs it through, looks around at the ceiling while waiting for the transaction to go through, rips the paper off the machine, puts it on the counter along with the pen, chews finger nails, takes the signed paper back, gives the card back and that's it.

I wonder if the woman who paid for the 5 baht chewing gum is actually aware that the credit card fees are likely to be higher than what the gum cost.

Edited by rainman

Just when you think you've seen it all ...

..the woman in front of me at the cashier at Top's supermarket paid with her credit card for a 5 baht chewing gum.

Feel free to add your weird experiences. :o

Once saw a Thai lady park her car in a parking bay at the 1st go !

..the woman in front of me at the cashier at Top's supermarket paid with her credit card for a 5 baht chewing gum.

Never seen that myself...

Never seen that myself...

Never seen any lady do that anywhere :D

Edited by johnsurin

the woman in front of me at the cashier at Top's supermarket paid with her credit card for a 5 baht chewing gum
Cashier takes the card, runs it through, looks around at the ceiling while waiting for the transaction to go through, rips the paper off the machine, puts it on the counter along with the pen, chews finger nails, takes the signed paper back, gives the card back and that's it.

I wonder if the woman who paid for the 5 baht chewing gum is actually aware that the credit card fees are likely to be higher than what the gum cost.

Interesting , but i don't believe it.

There is a minimum rate as 200-500 bht that can you use your credit card to pay if you want to buy some things.

sorry to be harsh on u before, but now ur just blowing my mind, mR rainman.

next time u go to that store maybe u should take off ur sun glasses, unless it's nightime of course, and u would realize that the item bought in fact is a gold chain and the amount in question is 50k baht.

couldnt agree with u more bambina i dont believe a word of this. waste of space and time.

enjoy ur 5555555555 baht chewing gum rainman.

hope that the new exchange rates suit ur taste.

Edited by oooooo

If you don't believe it, why don't you try it yourself? If the woman without 5 baht spare change in her pocket could do it, why couldn't you? Fact is, the woman in front of me grabbed a 5 baht chewing gum and paid it with her "Central MasterCard". I happen to have the same card so I know what it looks like. And i stood near enough to "peek" onto the sales slip and see with my own eyes "Baht 5.00" printed on it.

Try it, go to Tops in the Central Department Store and purchase a 5 baht gum with your credit card. If you can't, well no harm done. If she however swipes your card through, don't come running here and expect me to reimburse the card fees for your gum :o

I've been on this board for over 3 years - I don't tell lies or made up stories, I have no reason to. I write it as it is, its up to you to believe it or not.

post-36275-1177160788_thumb.jpg

Edited by buriramboy

Yup, definitely was a credit card. ATM cards don't have the 'standing out' numbers like credit cards, plus I have the same Central credit card as she used. And Central doesn't issue debit cards ..

I don't think there's a minimum charge required by Visa or MasterCard, but rather some shops have a minimum requirement to use credit/debit cards. I know S&P does, because my wife once wanted to pay with her debit card and they said "sorry minimum is 300 baht". Most likely because of the fees.

If you don't believe it, why don't you try it yourself? If the woman without 5 baht spare change in her pocket could do it, why couldn't you? Fact is, the woman in front of me grabbed a 5 baht chewing gum and paid it with her "Central MasterCard". I happen to have the same card so I know what it looks like. And i stood near enough to "peek" onto the sales slip and see with my own eyes "Baht 5.00" printed on it.

Try it, go to Tops in the Central Department Store and purchase a 5 baht gum with your credit card. If you can't, well no harm done. If she however swipes your card through, don't come running here and expect me to reimburse the card fees for your gum :o

I've been on this board for over 3 years - I don't tell lies or made up stories, I have no reason to. I write it as it is, its up to you to believe it or not.

I believe you mate. After several years in los, nothing surprises me anymore.

Yeah, there is no minimum applied by the CC companies, what do they care?

It's often shops or establishments that have a minimum requirement, often due to the CC company charges to the retailers.

Some shops will even give you cash-back if only you will put something substantial on your card, not just a teeny amount.

Speaking of getting something back when you shop ... friends took me to Big C in Khon Kaen. I bought a top-of-the-range DVD player (3500 baht) on my credit card. Then bought other items - clothes, food, alcohol (all much cheaper than at King Power at BKK Airport) - another 3500 baht (paid cash for these).

Aunty took my cash register receipts to a counter. The list was checked and she was given a free can of Coke.

Peter