Investing In Vietnam Mutual Funds / Stocks

You can open an account with a Vietnamese broker - Saigon Securities is the biggest one - but you have to go there in person and apply for a foreign investor's license. It takes half a day traipsing round different offices and your consulate to get a notarised copy of your passport. Otherwise look at one of the offshore funds. Dragon Capital is good. There is a new one listed in London called Indochina Capital.

JF Funds opened a Vietnam fund toward the end of last year and it was more than ten times oversubscribed. My understanding is that there are not many funds open to thee public and that most if not all of them have followed the same pattern since the marke theret is relatively small and cannot absorb all that much liquidity. Demand for VN equities far exceeds supply at the moment. By the way, the index there is down about 25% in the last three months.

The 'chatter' about the VN stock market is there will be a downward correction this year of about 30%. VN is considered the second fastest growing Asian country behind China. While China is considered an emerging market and one of the four of the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China), VN is considered a "frontier market" and therefore more volatile.

The funds listed in this thread are ones I would have mentioned and maybe a couple more (PM me if you want more). A few are pink sheeted through the London Exchange. I know I can purchase them through my broker and don't have to go to Vietnam to do so (I do it online).

I do know of one stock that is based in the US but does business in VN. They have the contract to register all the .vn website addresses and contracts with over 70 resellers around the world. Ticker symbol DTVI on the OTC.

The bottom line with them is anyone in the world who wants a .vn website address has to purchase it through this company, they have a lock on the worldwide market.

I invest in China and Vietnam, among other countries. I have some positions in VN but not adding until later this year to see if the correction occurs so I can buy more. My VN holdings are in the "highly speculative" part of my portfolio. I have them as a 1-5 year hold. Plus, with a frontier market stock your analysis in selecting them, IMHO, is different. You are purchasing less on the technicals and more on what you think the stock can be. FOr example, you can't really focus on 1,3, and 5 year charts because they will be misleading if you do. Of course there are other factors to consider.

When some of the state owned companies have their IPOs this year I'm going to see if I can get in on them too.