Living will

IF it is on file at that hospital and IF your family members insist on it, then usually yes. Note that many hospitals require it to be on their own form.

And it certainly needs to be in Thai language.

It sounds strange to say but, on two separate occasions one of which was a stroke with complications, my DNR ( which had been placed at the hospitals sometime before ) was honoured.    They asked the person who accompanied me to the hospital if it was still my wish and they asked me during my times of consciousness if I would accept intervention treatment, which would have included kidney dialysis.    This was at a local government hospital and a private hospital in Khon Kaen.

The first occasion was when I had a very serious lung infection and could not be treated by antibiotics due my extreme allergic response to them.     The hospital acknowledged they could do nothing, however a friend who was with me offered an alternative which had to be agreed by both the hospital, and myself when conscious.    As it did not require a ventilator or any form of surgery etc. I agreed and have noted it in my list of drug allergies and alternatives which I also carry with me,    The alternative worked although it was not "acceptable" to the hospital.

I always carry a copy of the document with me when I go out and there is a copy in plain view in my house.

I also check whenever I have cause to visit the hospitals.   Following a recent eye operation at a different hospital I had my requests placed on file before agreeing to the eye operation

Yes but please ensure that the relatives are OK with this.

Currently, there are no guarantee that the doctors can honour the living will without being sued later, if it goes against relative's decision.

Edited by PPMMUU
  • Like 1