Your Picks For Best/worst Food In The World

jellymeister

What are your picks for best/worst food

Here’s my list…try not to get too nationalisitc....let yer taste buds do the talking.....

Best Food countries

Thai

Japanese

Italian

French

Chinese

Mexican

Vietnamese

Korean

Taiwanese

Isaan/Lao

worst food countries

Philippines

British Isles

German

Most Central American(‘cept Mexico)

Most South American(‘cept Brasil)

Cambodian

Russian

American(fast food)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the diss on South America? Have you been to Peru and Argentina? Can't imagine thinking their food is bad. Otherwise, I basically agree with the OP's list. I would also add Malaysian/Singaporean to the great food list.

Edited by Jingthing

I hate to say it but I have to disagree with the USA being on the poor list - In my experience the food in the states is fantastic, Some of my most memorable meals have been there and I've only spent a total of 6 weeks there in my life. It's not just the Pizza's, Burgers etc.. that are great but steaks, Tex-mex, Ribs.

In terms of Britain, I believe we have some of the greatest chefs in the world and nothing tops a Sunday Roast.

When I initially saw this thread title, I expected it to be an atack on PI food. When I opened it, I found PI food to be on the top of the list.

Health considerations should aso be considered in the food selected

Best Food countries

Thai, Isaan/Lao Certainly towards the top

Japanese Good, but a little bland for my tastes... yes, I have eaten pleanty of wasabi

Italian Top 10

French Top 10

Chinese, Taiwanese Not top 10

Mexican Top 10

Vietnamese Top 5

Korean Top 15

Cambodian Cambodian food has similarities to Thai food without the Pa-Lah and chillis to

excess. Cambodian beef salad is fantastic as are many of their other dishes.

worst food countries

Philippines Filipinos all over the world cook non-Filipino food and it is great.

Why they cannot improve their own is beyond me.

British Isles Is this any worse than the non-Isles

German

Most Central American(‘cept Mexico) Central American food is OK, just not spicey like Mexican.

Most South American(‘cept Brasil)

Russian Two bites and you are full. Too much oil and fat.

American(fast food) American... most food. I'm American.

Yes I will agree that Peruvian ceviche is outstanding(not to mention Pisco sours) and Argentina has some great beef and wines....Is there other stuff you are referring to?

Not meant to "diss" anyone but only opinion......

Why the diss on South America? Have you been to Peru and Argentina? Can't imagine thinking their food is bad. Otherwise, I basically agree with the OP's list. I would also add Malaysian/Singaporean to the great food list.

As a Brit I feel I should promote REAL British stodge to a sort of mediocre level, nothing quite like a proper sunday roast followed by Spotted Dick and custard :D:P

Agree that Malay / Singapore deserves to be on the good list, Philippines should be further down the bad list.

The local food I've had here in Delhi has been great, unfortunately let down by a dose of Delhi-belly (looking for squitty emoticon) :o:D

As a Brit I feel I should promote REAL British stodge to a sort of mediocre level, nothing quite like a proper sunday roast followed by Spotted Dick and custard :D:P

Agree that Malay / Singapore deserves to be on the good list, Philippines should be further down the bad list.

The local food I've had here in Delhi has been great, unfortunately let down by a dose of Delhi-belly (looking for squitty emoticon) :D :D

There you go... :o

The UK has had a rep for bad food abroad mainly because of the rationing during the WW's. Also, though our geographic isolation did manage to spare us from the worst political excesses of mainland Europe; Fascism, Nazism, Communism; etc. Somehow "tasty food" was the trade-off...

US restaurant food is great, but the bland, over-processed stuff in the supermarkets is awful. Do any of you know what real cheese and chocolate taste like? :D

post-32068-1177130974.gif

A Brit friend of mine told me it might have something to do with the industrial revolution ruining regional cuisine through massive labour and forced national integration of values whereas the contientals maintianed some sort of regional cuisine even to this day....

though I never understood how people could carry a baguette around with them all day in Paris(including putting it on the metro seats) and then proceed to eat it(can't really wash breads"...maybe that is what the strong smelling cheeses but very tastyy are meant to mask... :o

The local food I've had here in Delhi has been great, unfortunately let down by a dose of Delhi-belly (looking for squitty emoticon) :D :D

There you go... :D

The UK has had a rep for bad food abroad mainly because of the rationing during the WW's. Also, though our geographic isolation did manage to spare us from the worst political excesses of mainland Europe; Fascism, Nazism, Communism; etc. Somehow "tasty food" was the trade-off...

US restaurant food is great, but the bland, over-processed stuff in the supermarkets is awful. Do any of you know what real cheese and chocolate taste like? :bah:

I disagree with german food. The Austrian/German deers and all these "wild animals" from the forest (eg: Wiener Wald) dishes are excellent.

I would add Burmeese food in the worst. I have very bad souvenirs about their local food in the country side.

Some Indian dishes are also very good.

Edited by Amir

Worst:

British

Thai (Vietnamese, Lao, Cambodian,.. all more/less same)

Japanese

Chinese

German

USA

Best:

Italian

French

Brazilian

Mexican

Indian

Turkish/Greek

We're talking "traditional" here, i.e. there are lot of excellent Italian and French restaurants in both UK and Germany, what I rate is the traditional food of these countries. And yes, I'm not here for the food, more like in spite of the food :o

Edited by Phil Conners

Worst:

British

Thai (Vietnamese, Lao, Cambodian,.. all more/less same)

Japanese

Chinese

German

USA

Best:

Italian

French

Brazilian

Mexican

Indian

Turkish/Greek

We're talking "traditional" here, i.e. there are lot of excellent Italian and French restaurants in both UK and Germany, what I rate is the traditional food of these countries. And yes, I'm not here for the food, more like in spite of the food :o

I don't know a lot about Loa or Cambodian food as never lived there, but Thai and Vietnamese are very far from beeing "more or less the same".

I prefer Thai food, but i enjoy sometimes a good Vietnamese "Lau" with catfish inside.

Best:

Italian

French

Indonesian

Worst:

British

British

British

Thai

I am sorry for the Brits here, but the fact that and your food is horrible and you have the most ugliest women in the world, must have some sort of correlation.

I alway wondered why there are virtually no Pi restaurants compared with Thai, Chinese etc.

Is it that bad?

Obviously most filipinos like it. The problem is that most others do not. How many restaurants serving filipino food have you seen outside the Philippines? Hordes of filipinos in he US, just about zero restaurants except for those catering to filipinos. To the outsider like myself it is bland, spiceless (except for a few localities), often fried to death, features innards, guts, blood, etc. In addition to that, what they do with rice is a crime. Often the consistency of mashed potatos, and the poorest grade you can find, even in restaurants catering to the wealthy. Again, it is the way they like it and good for them. But no thank you, except for Adobo, Bacolod chicken and a few other exceptions. Top o' the Bad list for me.

Edited by qualtrough

Here we go;Asian food is fantastic 1 Chinese(and not the westernmaked style tastes not good),2 I would say Indonesian together with thaifood(but you have to know what to order,this food never bores me) ,3 French is the best western food 4 italian,for western food but not personal favourite, and real Italian made comes close to the very best.5 I would say Greek have their own kind of exellence dishes.6 I have to start thinking but probarly I will come to Vietnamese and Indian and more countys I have never tried.

The worst 1 All of eastern Europe 2 (sorry)England(ofcourse exeptions from the star restaurants)it is just no taste food.3 Myanmar Laos and the Pfilipines4Dutch food ,exept from the croquets harings and meatballs.

This is about it and I am sure their will be more worse but these are from my own experiences

Well, if you'll allow one of the "most ugliest women" in the world have her say (thanks for that, KireB! :D)

Best food:

Indian

British (actually, we do do some very good food, particularly native Scottish food)

Italian

Australian (good fusion between Western & Asian ideas)

Some Thai (not too keen on the bugs or rats, but love Central Thai food)

Mexican (or Tex Mex)

Turkish/Greek

Spanish (particularly tapas)

Worst:

Cantonese

Phillipines

French, particularly nouvelle cuisine (I like their cheese & their wine, though)

Anything that includes bugs, rats, dog, or loads of bony bits :o

What actually is Turkish food and what makes it good???….I am always ready to learn something new. I have never actually seen a “Turkish” restaurant” Are there any in Bangkok?

Hello,

my list is:

Best food: turkish( mediteranian at its best)

Thai

Italian

German/Austrian

Indian/Pakistani

indonesian

worst food: tagalog

american

russian

best food :

thai ofcourse :D call me a nationalist :D

but o other than that Id say Italian is my fav

Spanish n mediterrenian (grrrr I cant spell) would be my other favs :D

french /belgian for dessert

Indian is the best food for vegetarians

worst food Ive had is filipina :o

Best food:

Italian

Thai

Japanese (a few dishes)

Czech

Romanian

Greek

Israeli

Lebanese

Ethiopian

Worst:

Malay

Cambodian

Northern Thai

Filipina

Hungarian (except goulash wich is practically czech)

Bulgarian

American (the fat dishes)

Well, if you'll allow one of the "most ugliest women" in the world have her say (thanks for that, KireB! :D)

native scottish food??????would that be deep fried mars bars, haggis and blood puddin mayhaps?????

Definitely got great whiskey to was the aforementioned "doon the wee hatch" :o though

Interested why you dislike Cantonese...I thought it was supposed to be good

and Tapas...aren't they jsut a bar snack, like an hor d'oeuvre? Paella is good, but do not know of any other Spanish dishes that rate...otoh Portuguese food seems to be quite nice with many seafood dishes....

Best food:

Indian

British (actually, we do do some very good food, particularly native Scottish food)

Italian

Mexican (or Tex Mex)

Turkish/Greek

Worst:

Cantonese

Phillipines

French, particularly nouvelle cuisine (I like their cheese & their wine, though)

Anything that includes bugs, rats, dog, or loads of bony bits :D

My Top 5

Mexican

Italian

Chinese

Indian

Japanese

Honorable mention whould have to be Thai... It's slowly growing on me as my wife is introducing me to new and interesting dishes. As for American Food. Not sure what that really means anymore. Is it Burgers & Fries? Steak and Potatoes? Apple Pie? I mean America is an immigrant country and most families brought their cooking traditions with them. Growing up in California, sure we had our fair share of steak and potatoes, but my mom also was very diverse in her cooking and cooked her fair share of Mexican (enchiladas and tamales), Chinese (schezwan beef, Fried Rice and stir fry), Italian (Pastas and Lasagna), etc., as well as her mother's traditional Scandinavian dishes.

Anyway, that's one of the biggest things I miss about home is the diversty in food. I mean I can walk down the main street at home and find a good restaurant from any imaginable country. Whereas in Thailand, it's hard to find quality restaurants that aren't Thai.

With that said... Does anyone know of a good Mexican Restaurant in Chiang Mai. I tried a couple and they stink compared to back home in California.

sorry messed up reply

native scottish food??????would that be deep fried mars bars, haggis and blood puddin mayhaps?????

Definitely got great whiskey to was the aforementioned "doon the wee hatch" though

Interested why you dislike Cantonese...I thought it was supposed to be good

and Tapas...aren't they jsut a bar snack, like an hor d'oeuvre? Paella is good, but do not know of any other Spanish dishes that rate...otoh Portuguese food seems to be quite nice with many seafood dishes....

Best food:

Indian

Italian

Mexican (or Tex Mex)

Turkish/Greek

Worst:

Cantonese

Phillipines

Anything that includes bugs, rats, dog, or loads of bony bits :o