Telephone Line

Davidcharles

You have two choices: TOT or TTT. You go to either of them and tell them you want a phone line. They will tell you if any are available. TOT office is corner of Central and Third, TTT office on Naklua Rd, left side about 2-3 km north of the dolphin roundabout. I don't remember the official price but it's not a lot, maybe a thousinde or two.

If none are available at either you can try to knock doors in the hood to see if anyone wants to "sell" (transfer) their line - many of those who don't use Internet are often only using mobile phones now, and wouldn't mind transferring their line for a couple of pink notes.

In the UK right now. But when I get back to dear old Pattaya (can't wait) I want a phone line put into my new house.

How do I go about it and how much will it cost?

Not sure if there are regional variations in costings for installing and line rentals but in the northeast we paid 4.500 deposit and monthly line rental @ 100.

We got a TT&T line about 20 months ago.

Phone connections were into the house, but line had been disconnected by the previous owner.

Cost was 4,200 THB with a three week wait.

Had to supply copy of blue house registration book and passport/visa.

To make international calls you have to later set up a separate account at the offices on South Pattaya Road (corner Third Road.) Something which I never got round to doing as it seemed easier to use my mobile or one of the cheap international call services around town.

Mike.

I must be green then.

Cost me 18,000 for a direct line in my Condo. Not through the Condo management, but direct with the phone company. This is IDD, so I assume my wife dealt with both local and International offices.

(She brought the bills back - so it probably wasn't her ripping me off :o )

But that was installed within a couple of weeks of me asking for it. o maybe money matters.

it took us 2 years to get a line installed.

3k for install and we haven't had our first bill yet so I do not know the monthlies :o

Monthly rental is 100 baht.

Local calls 3 baht a time.

Long distance 3-18 baht a minute.

Better to use a mobile for long distance, much cheaper.

International calls quite cheap these days. 20baht a minute to europe.

Just got mine here in Pattaya :D Similar story as above, there was a phone in the townhouse I'm renting but an 11k baht bill outstanding. :o After badgering the landlord for 2 months he finally came one day - took my passport and returned with forms for me to sign. Got a new phone number in my name. Cost ~3,300 baht and took about a week after the application to actually start service. :D

-redwood

As with most countries if you use the government run system it wil tajke a long time but if you use the private enterprise company it is pretty quick.

TOT will take up to 2 years to get around to installing the line, TT&T do there's within 3 weeks.

Paying more than about 4k is getting through the black market nad rund the risk of getting disconnected, or in some cases a 'party line' (shared line between several users.

When I got mine, IDD was automatically available, the bills just come from a different company.

Something else you will want to know about, call costs to mobiles can be reduced dramatically by dialling 1234 first, this gives about 30% discount. Also, the cost to mobiles is charged at a rate determined by where the phone number is registered. So even though the mobile may be only 2 sois away, if it was purchased in Udon, then the call is calculated as going to Udon. Many lovely isaan girls have discovered this the hard way. :o

My development north of CM is five years old and the nieghbor on one side has TOT and the other has TT&T. They both "bought" their lines from "others" Have gone into Tt&T everyyear for three years and am given the "no lines are avaialble", but if you want to "buy" one from someone, etc, etc. etc.

TOT doesn't have any lines available.

My developer has lines available from TOT for 15k baht purchase fee.

My Thai believes that developer signed up with TOT for all available lines assigned to this project, and shares the "sales price" with someone in TOT.

We use cellphones, so have really not pushed it. Perhaps when the developer moves on, some lines will be available at normal installation prices.

wow

here are the infos...

tot office corner central and third road were the large pole is

tt&t office inside carefour just 500m away from tot

price for install normall 3800 if cable needed is longer than?? meter some extra fopr the cable my cable is 400m i paid 4200 at tot

from time to time promotion rates at th moment at tt&T around 3200....

i got 2 lines from tot within 1 week !!!

i prefer tot as the internet is better and cheaper you can use the 1222 and they are very good at the moment better than lox info.... you can get 15 days jnet shark bite for 179 baht or if you buy multiple packages as low as 150 baht for 15 days unlimited internet !!!

works fine with inet telefone !!!

my opinion go there your self and order it on your name you will need a non immigrant visa for that .....talk with them tell them you need leoleo ....

that way you can deal with all problems on your own and you can let them get the montly bill from your bankaccount!!!

montly cost 107 baht incl tax

local and inet call 3 baht unlimited time

internation you need to order seperate at international phone office corner 3 road south patty road

have fun

dms

i prefer tot as the internet is better and cheaper you can use the 1222 and they are very good at the moment better than lox info.... you can get 15 days jnet shark bite for 179 baht or if you buy multiple packages as low as 150 baht for 15 days unlimited internet !!!

This is just not true. In some areas TOT lines are good and other they're bad. Same goes with TTT. I used Shark Byte just fine with my TTT line but changed to N-rich - TTT's own alternative - as it has a much better (faster) access number and same price.

This is just not true.  In some areas TOT lines are good and other they're bad. Same goes with TTT.  I used Shark Byte just fine with my TTT line but changed to N-rich - TTT's own alternative - as it has a much better (faster) access number and same price.

but i think we can agree

that TT&T are more expencive than TOT ....

i do not know if in some areas the one ore the other is better how could I but i heard some not so good stories about TTT an so i better stay with my TOT

furthermore i think TOT is offering the higher dsl speeds for the lower prices....

but their coverage area is smaller i guess 3rd road not up to the north but down to south pattay road also soi bukao and second road....

their newest promotion for this month is :

1024/256 1000 baht

512/256 700 baht

256/128 500 baht

that is alsways the montly rate for the first years there after it will increase around 40% always include free installtion

TT&T has similar promotions but lower speeds but there coverage area is bigger from walking until pattaya nua andf from the beach until 3rd road....

also a big point for TOT there dsl does include some basic internet access i guess over there TOT web and for TT&T you need a service provider....

so everyone has to go to their offices and has to find out what is best for him...

i will stick with TOT as i am satisfide with them got 2 lines installed in 1 week got service same day when i reported the problem early morning....

and i need the fastest available DSL for my work so i will move after Xmas into there coferage area....

good luck...

dms

TT&T is certainly unbeatable at the moment with their adsl packages!

Hinet: 999Baht/month, includes adsl fee, unlimited internet access with a shared bandwith of 2Mbps between maximum 50 subscribers!

If you take an ADSL package with either KSC, Loxinfo or JI-net (TT&T's partner ISP's) there will be no extra charge for the adsl service if you have a TT&T line, only pay your ISP.

There are stiil a lot of uncovered area's though, friend of mine just asked for adsl at the market on Soi Buakhao(South pattaya) and was told available probably in 2 months...

DMS,

On almost all internet connections you have a contention ratio, meaning the amount of customers you hook up to a certain bandwith!

Firstly, if you are online, you are not using up all your available bandwith, you do that only while downloading files! On average, most users use up around 5 to 8Mb per hour while surfing, which is about half what a modemconnection's capacity is. You most likely can hook up 70 or 80 people simultaniously and still have modem speeds.

Secondly, if you have 50 subscribers, when will they be online alltogether at the same time? Guess at peakhours it will be 35 people online, off peak hours maybe 10.

And remember, 999Baht/month!!! I pay way more to be online 5 or 6 hours wiyh Loxinfo over modem...

If you want lower contention ratio's you still cam go to the bigger ISP's like CSLoxinfo or KSC (at between 3500 and 7000 Baht/month for max 256Kbps)