Hummus - Making at home

Speedo1968

As a vegan hummus is an ideal food due to it's high protein content.

I have made myself before but it is very time consuming especially making the tahini.

Has any one tried using pre-made tahini then made the hummus ( chickpea powder or home boiled chickpeas ) ?

The problem with chickpea powder is that it is prone to cause gas whereas cooked and blended chickpeas are fine.
I can buy small amounts of tahini up to 5kg..

• Like 1

Do you have a food processor?

This is the best way to do it in 5 mins. I learned it in Israel. Scale up as needed. 

--

QUICK TEHINA SAUCE

1 garlic clove

Juice of 1 lemon

1 (16-ounce) jar tehina

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 to 1½ cups ice water

HUMMUS

2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1. MAKE THE TEHINA SAUCE: Nick off a piece of the garlic (about a quarter of the clove) and drop it into a food processor.

2. Squeeze the lemon juice into the food processor. Pour the tehina on top, making sure to scrape it all out of the container, and add the salt and cumin.

3. Process until the mixture looks peanut-buttery, about 1 minute.

4. Stream in the ice water, a little at a time, with the motor running. Process just until the mixture is smooth and creamy and lightens to the color of dry sand. Now you have Quick Tehina Sauce!

5. MAKE THE HUMMUS: Add the chickpeas to the tehina sauce and process for about 3 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as you go, until the chickpeas are completely blended and the hummus is smooth and uniform in color.

Edited by intheheartoftheheart
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

The problem with chickpea powder is that it is prone to cause gas

Stadtler since passing age 80 has always had a "gas" problem.  He wasn't aware that the gas came from chick peas. 

• Haha 1

Tinned chickpeas are expensive compared to the dried ones (particularly cheap if you buy them from an Indian store).  I soak then cook a large batch in a pressure cooker, then freeze them for later use.  I find commercial tahini absolutely fine, though some brands are nicer than others.

12 hours ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

This is the best way to do it in 5 mins. I learned it in Israel. Scale up as needed. 

--

QUICK TEHINA SAUCE

1 garlic clove

Juice of 1 lemon

1 (16-ounce) jar tehina

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 to 1½ cups ice water

HUMMUS

1. MAKE THE TEHINA SAUCE: Nick off a piece of the garlic (about a quarter of the clove) and drop it into a food processor.

2. Squeeze the lemon juice into the food processor. Pour the tehina on top, making sure to scrape it all out of the container, and add the salt and cumin.

4. Stream in the ice water, a little at a time, with the motor running. Process just until the mixture is smooth and creamy and lightens to the color of dry sand. Now you have Quick Tehina Sauce!

5. MAKE THE HUMMUS: Add the chickpeas to the tehina sauce and process for about 3 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as you go, until the chickpeas are completely blended and the hummus is smooth and uniform in color.

Your method of humus making is close but not correct, first start with the tinned chickpeas depend on the amount say 2 cans run them in the food processor until very fine, then add about no more than one cup of tahini (that can be bought on Lazada reasonably cheap continue) as well as either cold water of ice cubes and the juice of one lemon and 2-3 mashed garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon salt continue until well, until mixture is somewhat half thick as it will be solidified in the fridge, taste for seasoning and adjust, and i often run the thing through a sieve to remove all lumps...

15 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

This is a timely post. I have been making Hummus while on lockdown in Bangkok. Let's start with the ingredients:

You can use tinned chickpeas, saves all the soaking and boiling. Most of the large supermarkets sell them. Just make sure you drain them and rinse well.

I have no idea why anyone would make their own tahini. It's available around town in certain supermarkets but the cheapest place to buy it is in the Arabic Supermarket behind the Zenith hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 3. 500g for around 350thb That's quite a lot but if you make it regularly will save you money and trips to the supermarket. Keeps for ages in the fridge anyway. 

I have never heard of chickpea flour in hummus

If you prefer traditional lemon juice in your hummus to lime juice, you can buy lemon juice in a bottle in Big C for 35thb. Fresh lemons are expensive in Thailand, if you can find them

Cumin is available in most supermarkets. I use fresh yoghurt in mine as well. I buy the natural Greek yoghurt available in most large supermarkets

Everything else for hummus is easily available

Many thanks BillStrangeOgre for all the info.
Unfortunately ( or fortunately ) I live in the sticks, the nearest place ( 50km away ) to me is Khon Kaen and I don't have my own transport ( can use train and then city bus in KK ).
Can order some things online.

Lemons limes available in my local wet market, yes can be a bit pricey.
Not tried tinned chickpeas yet.
Is the Arabic Supermarket the one on the same floor as the Lebanese restaurant Beirut, Ploenchit, Suk. Soi 2  ?   The servings are large, excellent food for a vegan diet. Turkish coffee, relaxing decor.  They used to have a "hubbly bubbly pipe" area upstairs.

Chickpea flour - Fresh Besan - Gram flour - about 50 baht for 500gms - can cook carefully with enough water to make a paste that can be blended.
I don't use yogurt as a vegan, tried making soy yogurt but doesn't set well.

16 hours ago, RickG16 said:

It really is something which is hard to get right at home AFAIK.

Of course, how high your hummus standards are also comes into play. 

Can order online from places like JonDee shop not too expensive for organic.

15 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

This is a timely post. I have been making Hummus while on lockdown in Bangkok. Let's start with the ingredients:

You can use tinned chickpeas, saves all the soaking and boiling. Most of the large supermarkets sell them. Just make sure you drain them and rinse well.

I have no idea why anyone would make their own tahini. It's available around town in certain supermarkets but the cheapest place to buy it is in the Arabic Supermarket behind the Zenith hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 3. 500g for around 350thb That's quite a lot but if you make it regularly will save you money and trips to the supermarket. Keeps for ages in the fridge anyway. 

If you prefer traditional lemon juice in your hummus to lime juice, you can buy lemon juice in a bottle in Big C for 35thb. Fresh lemons are expensive in Thailand, if you can find them

Cumin is available in most supermarkets. I use fresh yoghurt in mine as well. I buy the natural Greek yoghurt available in most large supermarkets

Can get 5kg tahini for about 1700 baht online

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Tinned chickpeas are expensive compared to the dried ones (particularly cheap if you buy them from an Indian store).  I soak then cook a large batch in a pressure cooker, then freeze them for later use.  I find commercial tahini absolutely fine, though some brands are nicer than others.

Chickpea flour - Fresh Besan - Gram flour - about 50 baht for 500gms - can cook carefully with enough water to make a paste that can be blended.
Yes dry chickpeas are available sometimes where I live, next time I venture to Khon Kaen, by train I will buy some dried ones.

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I make it all the time using ready made tahini bought in Bangkok abd either canned or dried chickpeas. 

Very easy to do as long as you have a blender.

The cheats way out !, but very practical and probably just as delicious.
Tried before with a blender, cooked Besan flour and homemade tahini spent half the day and lots of nice bread trying to clean out the blender, well worth it of course.

15 hours ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

--

QUICK TEHINA SAUCE

1 garlic clove

Juice of 1 lemon

1 (16-ounce) jar tehina

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 to 1½ cups ice water

HUMMUS

Thanks for the details on how to make.

The nearest I have to a blender is a spoon and fork. 
A friend tried once using a blender never did get it clean.

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Yes dry chickpeas are available sometimes where I live, next time I venture to Khon Kaen, by train I will buy some dried ones.

I find dried chickpeas much easier to obtain than besan.  (The former I can get in supermarkets, the latter I have to order through the Interweb.)

However, whilst besan is great for bhaji and pakora, I personally don't think it's good for hummus.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Many thanks BillStrangeOgre for all the info.
Unfortunately ( or fortunately ) I live in the sticks, the nearest place ( 50km away ) to me is Khon Kaen and I don't have my own transport ( can use train and then city bus in KK ).
Can order some things online.

Lemons limes available in my local wet market, yes can be a bit pricey.
Not tried tinned chickpeas yet.
Is the Arabic Supermarket the one on the same floor as the Lebanese restaurant Beirut, Ploenchit, Suk. Soi 2  ?   The servings are large, excellent food for a vegan diet. Turkish coffee, relaxing decor.  They used to have a "hubbly bubbly pipe" area upstairs.

I don't use yogurt as a vegan, tried making soy yogurt but doesn't set well.

The Arabic supermarket is behind Zenith Hotel on Sukhumvit soi 3. It's a small stand alone place. You can also find other middle eastern products there. I recently bought Burghul for tabbouleh. 500g/140thb

I really cannot imagine how besan flour will replace whole chickpeas in hummus. The flour will be raw. 

Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 10.03.17.png

Edited by BillStrangeOgre

I use an electric food processor all the time at home with the base being 2 15 oz cans of chickpeas, usually the Fiamma brand that's widely available at Foodland, Tops and elsewhere, usually in the 50-60 baht per can range.

Wiping out the food processor with pita bread or something similar after the preparation is the reward for a job well done!

1 hour ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

The Arabic supermarket is behind Zenith Hotel on Sukhumvit soi 3. It's a small stand alone place. You can also find other middle eastern products there. I recently bought Burghul for tabbouleh. 500g/140thb

I really cannot imagine how besan flour will replace whole chickpeas in hummus. The flour will be raw. 

Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 10.03.17.png

Many thanks for the map.
Next time I am in Bangkok ( lived / based there for 10 years from 2001 ) I will have a look at the Arab supermarket near Zenith.   Was there in February for a few days.   Normally only get to Bangkok now a couple of times a year.

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

I find dried chickpeas much easier to obtain than besan.  (The former I can get in supermarkets, the latter I have to order through the Interweb.)

However, whilst besan is great for bhaji and pakora, I personally don't think it's good for hummus.  

Agree too powdery for hummus, will try to find dried chickpeas locally or next time I am in Khon Kaen.

On 7/4/2020 at 6:24 PM, BillStrangeOgre said:

1/4 cup lime juice

1/4 cup tahini-Buy at Villa, cheaper than soi Arab.

2 cloves garlic chopped and crushed

2T Olive Oil

1/2teaspoon salt

1/2teaspoon cumin

1 cup canned garbanzos

Put all ingredients into a bowl. I use stainless steel. I use a hand blender to mix. Usually I will add 1 or 2 Tablespoons of the liquid that the beans come in. I also put the remainder of the beans back into the liquid and store it in the fridge for the next time. 

• Thanks 1

A couple of things:

I buy tahini from J Cafe on Sukhumvit Soi 20 - a nice Israeli cafe and shop with a good grocery section. They also have fresh baked pitas and excellent food.

More or less the same recipe as mentioned by others but I use canned chick peas (Fiamma) drained and rinsed and boil them with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for about 20 minutes. This causes the peas to break down easily and results in a very creamy hummus. Much easier than using dried chick pea methods. 

you can buy lemon juice in a bottle in Big C for 35thb.

@BillStrangeOgre, I was looking for bottled lemon juice last week at Tops, because I didn't think Big C would have it (my usual shopping place). I bought 3 large lemons for about 150 baht (don't remember exact cost). The maid said expensive. I thought it was cheap, but I'd rather have had the juice in a bottle.

What section in the store? Thanks

Fresh lemons are expensive in Thailand, if you can find them

I buy fresh lemons from Makro, 55/kg so not expensive at all, though I don’t use them for hummus

I used tinned once, didn’t rinse them and used the water in the hummus. Now I always soak and boil, really not a hardship, soak overnight and boil about an hour..

I’m not vegan but I eat meatless maybe 3 days or so a week. I loveeee hummus???????? 

I use dried peas mostly (but always carry tinned in my pantry too) cause they’re great to spin all sorts of dishes I cook.

I like lime juice cause it’s got a more complex and slightly less sharp flavour than lemons (personal taste), I add different things to vary my taste. I add cumin often which of course makes the colour look completely unlike traditional but fresh cumin is very good for us. I add garlic from a little to loads, sometimes chilli. I get my tahini from some Arabic folks I know. I also get awesome truly divine falafels from this family too ????????.
But they don’t do commercial cooking just for themselves n me ????????????

I got a good food processor in which I also make my tabouli as well.
I don’t have any trouble cleaning it (I don’t put the cumin in the blender) but mix through by hand with a large serving fork. 
it’s not traditional but I add raisins sometimes as a twist.

Of course I eat it as I make it wherever possible and always at room temperature not straight out of the fridge ! Sacrilege!!!

My Arab friends told me to be a good host hummus is made fresh daily and especially for guests.

I grow my own organic parsley from packet seeds. I grow rocket too which is really peppery n I add this sometimes to my tabouli mix ????????

On 7/4/2020 at 12:51 PM, intheheartoftheheart said:

--

QUICK TEHINA SAUCE

1 garlic clove

Juice of 1 lemon

1 (16-ounce) jar tehina

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 to 1½ cups ice water

HUMMUS

One TABLESPOON of salt? JC!