Amazing Story Of The Toilets!

A good friend, who is a senior official connected to the new airport, told me last night that the toilets that have been the subject of much discussion, due to their absence, are, in fact, actually there all along. Thats it - really!, they were constructed, fitted out, plumbed in and then walled over to make way for more space for - you've guessed it - King Power!!! :o

I am sure this is true, as I trust the source completely. This must be the craziest TIT moment thus far!

Edited by bkkandrew

they were constructed, fitted out, plumbed in and then walled over to make way for more space for

help me out here ,

how would that make more space ??

Because toilets need an entrance door and space either side as a thouroughfare :o

No toilet entrance, no door, shop in front, where you couldn't have one before!

Not much difference with some houses then - buy a house with a beautiful lake or mountain view, and before you know it they build shophouses in front of the house , blocking the view...

On a more serious note... if this is really true, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised. Granted, the airport looks quite impressive, but what is more important in the end - what the facility looks like or how functional it is? Especially if it is seriously trying to become the aviation hub in the region.

I am sure this is true, as I trust the source completely. This must be the craziest TIT moment thus far!

Outstanding.

And very believable - after all, any hack of an architect isn't going to screw up something as simple as number of toilets to the extent so far...

Coops

Outstanding.

And very believable - after all, any hack of an architect isn't going to screw up something as simple as number of toilets to the extent so far...

Coops

Well it does explain the conundrum of this point, one that has been made many times on this board, how a Western, internationally reknowned firm of architects could fail on such a basic matter.

I wonder if this will ever come out in the wider media :o

Correct me if I am wrong - but I was always told that buying goods (cigarettes, alcohol etc) at Duty Free should be much cheaper than buying it from Big C or 7-11 or the Mom and Pop store in a village somewhere.

Why then does L & M cigarettes (hard pack of 20s) cost 100 baht a pack at Don Muang, the same price at Suvarnabhumi Airport and only 42 to 45 baht a packet anywhere else in Thailand?

Why can I buy 700ml Johnny Walker Black Label for 990 baht at Big C in Khon Kaen - but the asking price at King Power at Suvarnabhumi Airport is around 1200 baht a bottle?

Amazing Thailand.

Peter

Correct me if I am wrong - but I was always told that buying goods (cigarettes, alcohol etc) at Duty Free should be much cheaper than buying it from Big C or 7-11 or the Mom and Pop store in a village somewhere.

Why then does L & M cigarettes (hard pack of 20s) cost 100 baht a pack at Don Muang, the same price at Suvarnabhumi Airport and only 42 to 45 baht a packet anywhere else in Thailand?

Why can I buy 700ml Johnny Walker Black Label for 990 baht at Big C in Khon Kaen - but the asking price at King Power at Suvarnabhumi Airport is around 1200 baht a bottle?

Amazing Thailand.

Peter

That's same in all the places I've been to. Buy cameras in KL - cheaper than Singapore. In Sydney it's better to go to a camera shop & claim the tax back later - even if you don't, it's still cheaper than the DF stores.

Mrs gets all her cosmetics in BKK - shop near Pratunam.

Guess my only question for you is *why* would you buy Johnnie Black? Don't you like real whisk(e)y?

i had a funny experience at tax free shop.

I recently bought a videocamera at Panthip for 42.000 Bath.

At the tax free shop at SB the same model was priced at 50.000 Bath.

I showed the sales guy the reciept and asked him: WHY?

Only got back that famous Thai smile.....

The "Duty Free" shops are there to service the travelers who forgot to purchase souvenirs for family and friends. They have a captive audience with no choices left. On some controlled and heavily taxed items like tobacco products and liquor, they might even provide some modest savings. But primarily they offer convenience to business people who have been too busy to do some shopping for the spouse and kids or for vacationers who have been too engaged at Nana Plaza to do such shoping for the spouse at home. I rarely seen the bulk of the passengers who fly economy paying any attention to these trinket shops apart from the occasional transit passenger who never exits the airport. Despite the limited market, and the ex-pat community is not part of that market, these shops are clearly profitable.

Well I for one won't miss King Power, for one thing the quality of the cigarettes is appalling, must be Burmese imports they are using as they are very poor quality. Its not the cheap stuff either but the Lambert and Butler and Superkings!

People all over the world make a common mistake.Duty Free does not mean Profit Free.

KP are not my favorite people by any stretch,but I bet they are paying a huge amount of rent.It's got to be paid for somehow...

A couple of years ago, I was heading back to the UK for a break and with a present for my ex wife (some 3 baht of gold in necklace and earrings). Now I saw a very similar set in the airport and asked the weight. It was about 3.5 baht. Mine cost about Bt30,000 and this should therefore have cost about Bt35,000. Of course not at rip of King Power. It was a snip at about Bt58,000, only some Bt23,000 or about 65% overpriced !

Water in the shops ? Bt7 bottle for Bt90 at the old airport. Didn't buy any at the new one the last few times but I suspect much the same.

:D Good grief Jims Knight. How can you honestly say that they are not the cheap sort of cigs.Everyone in the UK knows that lambert and Butler or Superkings are the Dagenham of fags. :o

Dagenham of fags :D:D:D

Dagenham will be playing in the Football League next season. They are on their way up. L&B and Superkings are the Essex girls of cigarettes?

"A good friend, who is a senior official connected to the new airport..."

Oh, yeah, Mr. Anonymous -

Oh yeah, like he's going to break trust in a friendship just so you can have a name to take to the media, and have the poor guy busted for revealing the scandal! :o