PM Prayut urges strict international traveler screening

webfact

PM urges strict international traveler screening

eb65be8980f4dec536eb50013e2c3ca3_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT)-The Prime Minister has expressed his concerns about the future resumption of international travel under the Travel Bubble scheme, stressing Thailand must implement a vigorous arrivals screening.

Prime Minister and Minister of Defence, Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, discussed the proposed Travel Bubble scheme, saying that Thailand must be prepared to allow the resumption of international travel, with the other countries involved carefully considered, and adding that a mutual agreement must be reached, to ensure compliance with public health measures.

The Travel Bubble is a proposed limited resumption of international travel to and from countries where a bilateral agreement is made.

The Prime Minister said the government is concerned about the prospects of international aviation and the country’s external revenue.

During this 4-day weekend, the Ministry of Finance is expecting up to 10 billion baht in cashflow from domestic economic activities. The Prime Minister said Thai people are now making more domestic trips, with many hotels now sold out, thanks to further easing of COVID-19 restrictions.

He said however that all businesses must remain strict with their precautionary measures in order to minimize the persistent risk of a new viral outbreak.

nnt.jpg
  • Thanks 1

Plans are afoot for an airport screening of all arrivals for a check up that will take 1 and a half hours to get the results and will cost 3000 baht, other than that, can they really trust that some incommers will be virus free and ruin Thailand record of keeping the virus in check so far?...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sharp said:

He should take a trIp to Pattaya and Phuket and see the disaster unfolding there due to zero domestic and international travel..Definitely way more help  is needed for these guys in all aspects of tourism to survive the coming weeks or months

Pattaya and Phuket have never been neglected like the North East of the country and the desperate situation for the rural poor up there.

They have constantly thumbed their nose at the poorest of the country for years. 

As a Bangkok native now living in Chonburi, I can't say I have much sympathy for either place or their inhabitants

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, CLS said:

Wow, 10 billion baht in 4 days. Measly 150 baht per resident.

Does buying three large Chang beers count as domestic economic activity?

Add it to the "Nobody is left behind" handouts. 

Would you buy a used car from this person. 

(Count your fingers if you shake his hand)..

31D84BF41ECE4DA8AE21118DD31927D5.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Pattaya and Phuket have never been neglected like the North East of the country and the desperate situation for the rural poor up there.

They have constantly thumbed their nose at the poorest of the country for years. 

As a Bangkok native now living in Chonburi, I can't say I have much sympathy for either place or their inhabitants

You will get no argument from me on your points I actually agree but it has to be said the money the Goverment received from these two provinces alone would warrant a little more assistance 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Plans are afoot for an airport screening of all arrivals for a check up that will take 1 and a half hours to get the results and will cost 3000 baht, other than that, can they really trust that some incommers will be virus free and ruin Thailand record of keeping the virus in check so far?...

Only short term arrivals have access to the rapid testing at 3000 baht per 90 minutes...

The facility can do 1000 a day.

Not designed for use on everyone...

Just short term business arrivals...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

expressed his concerns about the future resumption of international travel

This morning's Khmer Times (Cambodia) carries a very interesting article about The Royal Thai Police setting up a "special task force" to track down tourists infected with Covid-19 as Thailand prepares to welcome arriving travelers. I cannot quote the original article as it is from the Bangkok Post.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think that the Thai government has decided to write off Thailand's tourism until

the high season, or even until 2021. The way the USA is going, it will take until 2022

for them to get some control of their relationship they have with the virus.

Europe is trying to get some business and I wish them well.  I will stay close to home

until I can get at least one vaccine, before venturing to some foreign country.

Geezer

• Like 2

I respectfully withdraw my earlier prediction of a reasonable progressive recovery to tourism September to November and insert a new future date yet to be determined.  With all the *farting* about being done by the politicians there may only be a trickle of tourists arriving this year!  ????

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Who's buying up all the hotel rooms, certainly won't be thais as the majority of them have no money

5 hours ago, Cali farong said:

I would bet that more Thais have committed suicide

because of the virus than have died from the virus.

a lot of cases in other countries but the death rate

has decreased.

I think the 130,000+ dead in the U.S., a number that right now is increasing by about 600 each and every day due to COVID, will more than makeup for whatever shortfalls Thailand has fortunately experienced when it comes to death toll from the virus.

Thailand should consider itself fortunate that it didn't/hasn't thus far become the U.S., in part because Thailand imposed a comprehensive set of countrywide measures to prevent and contain the spread of the virus, something the U.S. has never done at the national level.