Viola Davis says she feels like she 'betrayed' herself by being in The Help

snoop1130

Viola Davis says she feels like she 'betrayed' herself by being in The Help

By KELBY VERA

30751130-8521779-image-a-1_1594734579567.jpg

Regrets, I have a few: Viola Davis says she sometimes feels like she 'betrayed' herself by appearing in 2011's The Help in a new profile for Vanity Fair. Above she's seen in a stunning blue Max Mara gown and earrings by Pomellato for the cover

Viola Davis says a part of her feels like she 'betrayed' herself by starring in The Help.

The Academy Award-winner explained her mixed feelings about the 2011 film in a profile for the August issue of Vanity Fair,  telling the magazine while 'there's no one who's not entertained' by the movie, it was created 'catering to a white audience.'

Viola, 54, said she has regrets about being in the movie because it 'wasn't ready to [tell the whole truth]' about racism.

The film follows the story of two Black working as maids for a white family in Mississippi in the midst of the Civil Rights Movement and has been critiqued for having an oversimplified take on race relations.

Full Story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8521779/Viola-Davis-says-feels-like-betrayed-Help.html

Hindsight is always the best. She's raking it in and an Academy Award is a license to print money so she can console herself in her mansion that she's doing good things for people of colour by speaking out. I find it hard to believe she had no awareness of the storyline being 'oversimplified' at the time, and as a total bitter crusty old cynic that I am she saw the ego boost, the job and the bucks before any attendance to what I imagine would have tweaked her conscience.

22 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Hindsight is always the best. She's raking it in and an Academy Award is a license to print money so she can console herself in her mansion that she's doing good things for people of colour by speaking out. I find it hard to believe she had no awareness of the storyline being 'oversimplified' at the time, and as a total bitter crusty old cynic that I am she saw the ego boost, the job and the bucks before any attendance to what I imagine would have tweaked her conscience.

This "people of colour" phrase is total bo$$ocks. White is a colour or that a revelation to some?

The phrase was used to categorize mixed race people, freed slaves (as opposed to the N word), and any who weren't clearly white European descent. It was as racist an expression as the N word. Only covering a broader category. The South African apartheid regime used coloured as catch all too for non blacks or whites.

BLM movement use it to try and isolate white people and from all the rest. They are as racist as the Nation of Islam movement. The latter bordering on eugenics but reversing the colours.