Pocket WiFi / single for home apartment

Jackcwba

I’m looking at getting myself some internet sorted for my apartment here in Bangkok.

theres 5 floors in this apartment and each floor has its own router but as you can imagine the WiFi is abysmal and can’t really do anything with it disconnecting every 10 minutes. ( online games are frustrating as you can imagine )

i don’t have one of those connections in my room where I can get my own router / ISP installed which leads me wondering if they have pocket WiFi dongles here that can gives me unlimited data each month or am I just limited to using my mobile phone hotspot for this need?

currently on my mobile sim I’ve with AIS and they gave me a ‘tourist package’ sim which was a special promo last year and it only cost 200 baht a month for 200GB of internet for 12 months so I just use my hotspot for my laptop at the moment. However this is due to expire next month so don’t know what my options will be with them after this.

hesrd DTAC are expensive but not sure if they do dongle / pocket WiFi.

anyone who has this if you wouldn’t mind pointing me in the right direction along with how much you pay a month and what package you have that would be great. ( remember I can’t get my own router installed here so if I am limited to just using my mobile data as a hotspot let me know. 

I use this device already 2 years in different location, work perfect up to 6 users - 10-30 mb/s.. You can buy it in Lazada or Choppee , work with AIS and TRUE 4 g cards. Have special sim card , can buy again in Lazada - non stop internet 10mb/s 200 baht per month , or in some office.

maxresdefault.jpg

There are some pocket wifi dongles around but you are just using the same cellular internet and doing the samme as your mobile phone, same  packages etc. You may as well just buy a cheap mobile phone and use it as a hotspot. Cellular internet is usually unlimited with low speed or high speed with limited data. Last time I looked there was not much with unlimited data and high speed, or it was expensive. All the networks have webpages with their different cellular internet packages. Its usually just a matter of entering a USSD code to switch packages.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There are some pocket wifi dongles around but you are just using the same cellular internet and doing the samme as your mobile phone, same  packages etc. You may as well just buy a cheap mobile phone and use it as a hotspot. Cellular internet is usually unlimited with low speed or high speed with limited data. Last time I looked there was not much with unlimited data and high speed, or it was expensive. All the networks have webpages with their different cellular internet packages. Its usually just a matter of entering a USSD code to switch packages.

Why would you do that? Phones are less suitable to the task than a dedicated MiFi. Phone more likely to disconnect when idle. Just keeping the phone plugged in 24/7 would be another issue.

MiFi perhaps 1200 baht, so cheap phone doesn't bring a cost saving.

ELL has already indicated that there are both full speed and/or capped speed unlimited plans(annual) available to purchase online.

OP needs to run speed tests https://testmy.net to see what speeds are delivered by the various networks before settling on a provider.  Beginning with his current provider, AIS.

If, after a speed test, Truemove H can deliver upwards of 10 Mbps, these are cheapest options; 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/truemove-h-10mbps-1-i548946713.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sim-fast-80gb-300mbps-80gb-1-i549074921-s996314261.html

But if they are poor at your location, you'll need to look at options from the other providers. Speed tests first.

• 3 weeks later...

if i was to go with one of these dongles, pocket wifis... do shops like AIS sell simcards for it that are  pay monthly - unlimited speed - i dont want the speed to decrease half way through the month or when its running out. and a good download / upload speed for online gaming? apologizes if i sound like a dinasaur. i used a dongle back in the UK from EE and i think it was capped at 20GB for 1 month only and playing on xbox online i used all that data in 3 days! insane how quikcly it uses up the data so would need to be an unlimited amount and high speed.

thanks

5 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

if i was to go with one of these dongles, pocket wifis... do shops like AIS sell simcards for it that are  pay monthly - unlimited speed - i dont want the speed to decrease half way through the month or when its running out. and a good download / upload speed for online gaming? apologizes if i sound like a dinasaur. i used a dongle back in the UK from EE and i think it was capped at 20GB for 1 month only and playing on xbox online i used all that data in 3 days! insane how quikcly it uses up the data so would need to be an unlimited amount and high speed.

thanks

Best to actually read what has been written in your replies.