Is lamyai (longan) fruit bad for fish and/or pond?

Hello! A friend has a big above ground cement water storage tank. Ill guess 4 x 4 meters, maybe 1.2 meter deep. Keeps red tilapia in there as pets. A lamyai tree shades the water. Recently there was a big fish die off. Also the the tree has a lot of fruit coming this time of year. 

So a thai worker walking past looked at the dead fish, looked at the lamyai tree and said "lamyai fruit kill fish." 

He seemed absolutely confident about it, like it was a fact. 

I researched this and came up with nothing. I also have a lamyai shading a pond, but have never had a problem.

Anyone on the forum ever hear of this issue? Thanks.

Another thai farmer here say he have to cut his teak trees on our border, which I think is sad for as for us because it gives us great shade in the hot season. I asked to buy the trees from him, but he say no, teak tree no good for my rice!? 

I feel they sometimes jump to conclusions, since I can not see any difference from that part to another parts of his rice fields. 

23 hours ago, Tagged said:

Another thai farmer here say he have to cut his teak trees on our border, which I think is sad for as for us because it gives us great shade in the hot season. I asked to buy the trees from him, but he say no, teak tree no good for my rice!? 

I feel they sometimes jump to conclusions, since I can not see any difference from that part to another parts of his rice fields. 

Not just Thai farmers. All over the world, farmers are convinced that tree roots cause damage to crop yield, will fall over, or bring bad luck (neighbour saw phi walking around a 100 year old tree, tree had to go. Probably a combination of Lao kao and not liking trees in general....)

• Like 1