At Least Four Dead in Phnom Penh Gas Explosion, Officers Say

geovalin

Bodies continued to be pulled from the scene of a huge gas explosion in central Phnom Penh into Saturday evening, with two shops destroyed and officers at the scene saying at least four people, including a girl, had died.

Loud explosions and building-high flames could be seen and heard across central Phnom Penh on Saturday afternoon as at least a dozen fire trucks and an ambulance attended the scene on Street 63, and authorities closed nearby roads to traffic. “We thought it was a bomb,” said Kelly Roberts, a 33-year-old civil servant from the U.K. who witnessed the explosion at around 4:30 p.m.

“I stood in shock and looked towards where the explosion had happened and tried to see if I could see anyone hurt, but I couldn’t,” she said via message. “I was going to go closer to see if there were any injured people when my friend screamed, ‘Run, I can smell gas.’”

read more https://vodenglish.news/at-least-four-dead-in-phnom-penh-gas-explosion-officers-say/

A video of this fire was posted on my Facebook page by friends in Phnom Penh and it was horrendous as many gas cylinders kept exploding like fire bombs. Although deadly and devastating, the rescue services were able to remove some gas cylinders before they could explode. There is now public concern about such gas cylinder filling businesses located in busy residential and commercial areas. Unfortunately I cannot post the video but this photo shows the fire ball from an exploding cylinder:-

Gas exploson Accident in Phnom Penh 18-July-20 - YouTube