Booster Advice

My cats have been here nearly 5 months now and generally are in good health, the older (fatter) one has lost some weight, (which is good) although not significantly, his appetite has not withered though.

He has however been getting into some tussles with the local thai mafia feline fraternity and as such has suffered some bites/scratches around his chest/neck area causing significant loss of hair. I have been keeping them both inside the last few days to give these scratches a chance to heal.

I have noticed that they are both scratching and grooming themselves more frequently, Having brushed them I can find no evidence of fleas/ticks, there may be eggs but im not sure... but I did see 3 flea-type thingys floating in their water bowl this morning.

From being here this long I am sure they need some sort of booster for both health and flea/tick prevention - so someone advise , thanks in advance

There is a medication called Revolution which is applied to the skin at the back of the neck and is supposed to prevent ticks and fleas as well as treat roundworm. Most vets have it and you can also buy it at the tiny pet shop behind Villa Market on Soi 33 Sukhumvit.

In Thailand you need to deworm your cats every 3 months.

My cats have been here nearly 5 months now and generally are in good health, the older (fatter) one has lost some weight, (which is good) although not significantly, his appetite has not withered though.

He has however been getting into some tussles with the local thai mafia feline fraternity and as such has suffered some bites/scratches around his chest/neck area causing significant loss of hair. I have been keeping them both inside the last few days to give these scratches a chance to heal.

I have noticed that they are both scratching and grooming themselves more frequently, Having brushed them I can find no evidence of fleas/ticks, there may be eggs but im not sure... but I did see 3 flea-type thingys floating in their water bowl this morning.

From being here this long I am sure they need some sort of booster for both health and flea/tick prevention - so someone advise , thanks in advance

I don't want to make you scared, but be aware that there is a lot of FIV and leukaemia (how do you write that?)under the cats that roam the streets.

Nienke

I don't want to make you scared, but be aware that there is a lot of FIV and leukaemia (how do you write that?)under the cats that roam the streets.

Nienke

what is FIV>?

There is a medication called Revolution which is applied to the skin at the back of the neck and is supposed to prevent ticks and fleas as well as treat roundworm. Most vets have it and you can also buy it at the tiny pet shop behind Villa Market on Soi 33 Sukhumvit.

My bigger cat seems to have lost weight around his face, neck and chest area, his stomach is still as it was and his appetite is as usual very good, what could this be?

what is FIV>?

FIV = Feline Immunodeficiency Virus. It's a retrovirus and related to the AIDS virus in humans (HIV). An infected cat can not give this virus to humans, however! The two viruses are species specific.

Infection is highest in outdoor cats. Cat bites are the major cause of infection.

Signs of illness:

4 to 6 weeks after exposure the cat can show fever and swelling of the lymph nodes and a lower White Blood Count than normal. Diarrhea, skin infections and anemia can occur.

After this acute phase, there can be a intermediate period that can last for up to 3 years with no specific symptoms.

After this period signs of the chronic stage appear gradually and progresss slowly, which again can take months or years.

The chronic stage symptoms are similar to diseases such as leukemia, severe malnutrition, immunosuppressive drug therapy and wide spread cancer, including, recurrent upper respiratory infections with eye and nasal discharge, recurrent urinary tract infections, loss of appetite, weight loss, fever, diarrhea, mouth and gum diseases.

There are test that can look for antibodies against FIV.

An infected cat is a source of infection to othet cats. This is something that needs to be kept in mind, when an infected FIW cat is allowed to go outdoor.

There is no effective treatment against FIV, other than boosting the immune system by providing the cat with the best nutrititious diet there is and avoiding further combined vaccinations and other kinds of stress for the cat's physical and mental health.

There is no vaccine available for FIV.

The research for looking for effective drugs against HIV involves cats. It might with the improvement in finding effective drugs for HIV, in future there will be effective drugs for FIV for cats as well. Nevertheless, that doesn't help the currently infected cats much.

Nienke

My bigger cat seems to have lost weight around his face, neck and chest area, his stomach is still as it was and his appetite is as usual very good, what could this be?

I suggest to take your cat(s) to the vet and have him (them) tested for both leukemia and FIV, plus a full blood test. be aware that the test can give a false negative if there has been a transmission of the (a) virus only recently (or when the cat is in the final stages of the FIV disease, which I assume is not the case with your cats).

Oh, and bring the feces (poop) as well for a check under the microscoop. Fleas can transmit tape worm.

Nienke