Uk Banks Block Their Debit Cards After 1st Use In Thailand

I have had a running battle with Barclays over ATMs blocking my Visa debit card whilst on 2-3 month trips to Thailand, even when I let them know -- by telephone in advance -- where I am going. There has never been any fraud on the account. They are just ridiculously over-cautious and said all UK banks are doing this in Thailand.

The reason is, of course, card cloning but their policy is a huge inconvenience for bona fide travellers relying on their UK cash cards for travel funds. It means phoning them to get the card unblocked, sometimes twice in a trip, having already told them in advance my location and date of return to UK.

On complaining to my branch on return they supplied me with a form to write my exact travel dates for next trip. However I doubt this will be any better than phoning their card services in advance of travel. The card just seems to get blocked at random, and even Barclays seems powerless to stop it, until the customer phones in from abroad requesting a manual release.

In-bank withdrawals with passport do not seem to be affected by this policy, but it's a pain being left short on an evening or weekend.

What a farce! Have other Brits experienced this, or any other nationalities? A Swiss friend never had any problems with his card, but then they are world-class bankers.

Edited by Trevor

The card just seems to get blocked at random, and even Barclays seems powerless to stop it, until the customer phones in from abroad requesting a manual release.

the problem is the software which makes the decision to block a card. it happens with non-UK banks too. i was told there is no way to override the software except manually and only for the specific case when the s-h-i-t has already hit the fan.

once i got a call in the middle of the night "did you just charge GBP 42.50 on your Visa?" i said "no, i'm in my bed in Thailand trying to sleep but you won't let me" and got as an answer "Sir, we are blocking your card. it looks as if it is used fraudulently". that made me fully awake and i remembered that my better half was in London visiting her friends. the fact that my wife checked into a hotel one day earlier and used the card did obviously not trigger any block.

they are world-class bankers.

:o

Sorry for that, it is irritating when you ask a serious question and get this sort of thing but it was too good to miss.

On the subject, I've been using my Natwest Cirrus card over the past year in Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and Viet Nam. I've never had a problem at any ATM and I never advised them of my travel plans.

So maybe it's Barclays that are world class bankers. :D

I have had a running battle with Barclays over ATMs blocking my Visa debit card whilst on 2-3 month trips to Thailand, even when I let them know -- by telephone in advance -- where I am going. There has never been any fraud on the account. They are just ridiculously over-cautious and said all UK banks are doing this in Thailand.

The reason is, of course, card cloning but their policy is a huge inconvenience for bona fide travellers relying on their UK cash cards for travel funds. It means phoning them to get the card unblocked, sometimes twice in a trip, having already told them in advance my location and date of return to UK.

On complaining to my branch on return they supplied me with a form to write my exact travel dates for next trip. However I doubt this will be any better than phoning their card services in advance of travel. The card just seems to get blocked at random, and even Barclays seems powerless to stop it, until the customer phones in from abroad requesting a manual release.

In-bank withdrawals with passport do not seem to be affected by this policy, but it's a pain being left short on an evening or weekend.

What a farce! Have other Brits experienced this, or any other nationalities? A Swiss friend never had any problems with his card, but then they are world-class bankers.

HSBC (UK) had a habit of doing this to me, a long term resident who occasionally uses a UK bank card. It was becoming more frequent, and I had to phone on several occasions to get it unblocked.

After the last "blocking" I wrote a snotty letter to the bank stating if they didn't stop doing this I would take my custom elsewhere.

They wrote back to state that they had removed the "Automatic" fraud protection checking software from my account and as such this will never happen again. Leaving the onus on me to ensure the security of the card.

I guess if It does ever get cloned then it's all my fault and I'll have no recourse with the bank.

However, ubtil now (2 mths later) they ave stopped blocking my card.

So, I suggest you consider using the same instruction to the bank - remove the software checks.

cheers

I mostly use cards issued by major American companies (MBNA, Bank America, Wells Fargo, CitiBank), and have never had my purchase or withdrawal refused, even though I live in Thailand and travel elsewhere. But they know that. Before I make a major cc purchase (like a 28K laptop), I phone them and tell them to expect it. But, I expect that, sooner or later, I'll be refused. For that reason, when I make my next trip to Moscow, Ireland, etc., I'll be sure to have enough cash on hand to pay for whatever might get refused. After all, my mobile phone won't work in Amsterdam, will it?

... After all, my mobile phone won't work in Amsterdam, will it?

Why not? My AIS-card works all over Europe and Asia.

OK, had had some problems in the past with Dubai/UEA as AIS thought "worldwide" should not include the Middle East, but solved this with a phone call.

Personally I'm happy that these safe guards exist and that the banks actually put in effort to prevent unauthorized charges. MY HSBC Hong Kong credit card number has been used fraudulently on three occasions in the past four years and on each occasion HSBC notified me that the event had taken place before I knew anything about it, and, took steps to get a replacement card to me within two days. This is a not an ad for HSBC just a reminder that the size and nature of the problem is massive and we all need all the help we can get.

Thanks for the replies. Didn't quite get that joke(?) about the Swiss being world-class bankers but they certainly know what side their bread is buttered: more than half of their GDP is earned interest, much of it from grey, if not dirty money.

The banks have to tread a narrow line between fraud protection and p*ssing off their customers with restrictions. I just felt that multiple telephone reasurrances from myself, together with any security answers they needed, would have been enough. But they are effectively ruled by computers and algorithms. Also reflects the high levels of white-collar crime in S E Asia, including 'insider' crims.

my Australian bank calls me within 15 minutes (and often within 5 minutes) of any use of the card in Thailand to verify the transaction. Much better system than just blocking the card, and much better at detecting and preventing real fraud with the least inconvenience to the customer.

Why can't other supposedly world class banks do this I wonder.

Only ever had one card blocked for overseas usage, that was my Barclaycard when I used it in the Nederlands after six months of using it in Thailand :o

I never ever managed to get my Nationwide card to work in a Dutch bank (and I tried them all) even after multiple calls to NW. Daft thing is, it worked just fine in the Belgian branches of the same banks, go figure.

I agree it's a bind, but is a useful anti-fraud tactic. I always have at least three cards when I travel, and located in different bags, pockets wallets in case something untoward happens, one of them is guaranteed to work at the hotel check-out.

HALIFAX does the same time after time normaly on a friday then when you phone they say they have to send email to sort it out but they are closed over the weekend and they say you can go into a bank as its only atms that you cant use and get cash but thai banks want to see passport and proof of address and its a pain in the arse :o

yes they think there are,, then they just throw the guilt trip at you with (well we are protecting your money sir ) but what about the cost of the phone calls and hassle they have caused and i did inform them i was abroad then the halifax tell me i have to phone them every two weeks to renew the security,, and they charge a fortune with low exchange rate and atm fee moan moan moan soorrry :o

Before my last trip to LOS, I called my US credit union (sort of like a bank for those unfamiliar with credit unions) to let them know where to expect charges from. I have don't this in the past and they were always appreciative. This time they told me that I couldn't use my Visa card in Thailand because of the high incidence of fraud. Nothing I said would dissuade them from this so I changed to a different credit union a few blocks away and the card I got from them worked perfectly in all the ATMs I used in Thailand.

Notify all my credit/bank cards before trips to LOS.

Even then get the "odd" block...Sometimes this is down to local "software issues". My mates Barclaycard wouldn't work in Krabi, Phi Phi for a week, even after repeated calls, yet mine worked fine :D

I suppose I'd rather have a block removed after a phone call, than someone fraudulently using the card :o

RAZZ

Every time during my three visits to LOS each year - I forget to tell Barclaycard that I'm going - and they are the only credit card that gets blocked - usually in some shop where phoning the card company proves difficult

Made a diary note this time!

Why do some people use a credit card in a shop/Supermarket ?

To impress the Checkout Chick :o

What's wrong with cash ?

Naka.

Fifty years ago, when people were paid in cash, that would be logical. Today it is both much less safe to carry cash it is an extra step to even obtain it, count it, pay it, make change, receive change, pocket it. Here I normally use cash because my cards are US and draw extra charges. But for most people cards do make sense.

I always thought England was considered "the hub of banking" worldwide. They must know best.

Not sure if the Hub of Banking is correct, more like the Hub of ######s! Halifax have caused me so many problems with my ATM Cards here in Thailand, I am looking forward to smacking the Bank Manager in the face next time I get over to England, what joy!

KD :o

With internet banking you just need to send them a secure message that you can't use the card, i've had to do this numerous times with Barclaycard, Egg and firstdirect. Of course, if you need the money urgently you'd have to call them.

It seems like the banks have changed their security software as i've had more trouble with cards being blocked in the last 6 months than i have in all the 5 years i've been coming here. I send them a secure message with my travel dates now and have not had so many problems.

Write to all your banks and credit card people and threaten them that you will charge them for screw ups and then sue if they don't pay. Give them your email and overseas phone numbers and ask that they contact you to put a block on. They cannot walk away from their responsibilities to ensure that their technology is secure enough so don't worry on that one.

They are parasites but they don't like it when you bite back.