Does it ever cool down up here?

Keyser Soze666

Been spending some time in Ubon at the wife's ranch during this covid nonsense. Wow, every day insane heat, where are the clouds? BKK is hot of course but not blazing like this, it's like being in a desert. Is it usually like this at this time of year? No rain, not even any clouds?

41 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

The drought has continued in Isaan for at least three years.  What saved the farmers in the last two years—rare Pacific storms, which caused overflows on the Che and Mun Rivers.  It flooded rice fields in August and drowned some rice, but the rest survived.

For answers, one can only guess why we have extreme drought.  I suspect the world’s #1 polluter to the north, has something to do with this.

Confirmed...same in Sisaket, the province next to Ubon.

No more than 2 or 3 small showers in July up until now.

And yes it is the third year in a row, and we can only hope that the Pacific will save us once again.

As for the pollution, better look to the West, where the dominant winds come from, to that other major polluter, India.

There's a frightening satelitte photo showing how India is sending a gigantic pollution cloud all the way to the Pacific, with the help of the Himalayas...

• Like 2

Jai Yen Yen KS!!  Must keep a cool head!   Hotter than the hinges of Hades...Sweating like a Burmese fella on Ko Tao when the cops say they wanna talk to him.......Time to get you some Prickly Heat!!!   ????

Keep your frank n beans dry and a nice coconut in the fridge!   Maybe a few Royal D hydration powders 7-11

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Confirmed...same in Sisaket, the province next to Ubon.

No more than 2 or 3 small showers in July up until now.

And yes it is the third year in a row, and we can only hope that the Pacific will save us once again.

As for the pollution, better look to the West, where the dominant winds come from, to that other major polluter, India.

There's a frightening satelitte photo showing how India is sending a gigantic pollution cloud all the way to the Pacific, with the help of the Himalayas...

Very interesting. I'd like to see that link if you have it. I do know that the most polluted cities in the world are in India, and not in China. Also seasonality has to do with where Thailand is getting its pollution from. Rainy Season, winds are coming from the southwest, so potentially getting pollution from India. Dry season the high pressure comes down from China and blows clockwise bringing in Pollution from Southern China, Vietnam, and Laos. 

• Like 1

Good amount of rain on the Rayong/Chon Buri  Province border area. Most days it rains for 15 minutes or so.  Pool is full and it has over topped twice in 4 weeks, which is a good sign.  The Silver Lake complex of lakes appears to be nearly full. Its still hot but not oppressively so, around 33/34 degrees.  Mrs P reports from her Issan family village, temperatures approaching 40 degrees and no rain for days. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sydneyboy1 said:

Been spending some time in Ubon at the WIFE'S ranch during this covid nonsense.

why don't you ask the wife. Seems she would know what the climate is like if she is from there.... 

A ranch is an area of land, including various structures, given primarily to the practice of ranching, the practice of raising grazing livestock such as cattle and sheep most often applies to livestock-raising operations in Mexico, the Western United States and Western Canada, though there are ranches in other areas. Wikipedia   

RANCHING | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › ranching

7 days ago - ranching definition: 1. the activity of keeping animals on a ranch 2. the activity of keeping animals on a ranch.      ????

3 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

No rain.....???..come to Pattaya....rains everyday around the 6am hour and again about 5 pm......????????????

Same in the far north , just about every night .RAIN .  Very few days of sun but this is the rainy season. About to go out on a bike run , waterproofs under the seat.

1 hour ago, thaisabai said:

want some rain? yes, come to Pattaya. huge rain just now, 1 PM

temperature modest

thaisabai

Unfortunately Pattaya is not the place where food is grown for the country, and for exports...

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Good amount of rain on the Rayong/Chon Buri  Province border area. Most days it rains for 15 minutes or so.  Pool is full and it has over topped twice in 4 weeks, which is a good sign.  The Silver Lake complex of lakes appears to be nearly full. Its still hot but not oppressively so, around 33/34 degrees.  Mrs P reports from her Issan family village, temperatures approaching 40 degrees and no rain for days. 

Pilot - Looks like I'll be moving down to Pattaya way around May time next year...see you about maybe ????

• Haha 1

For those who are finding it hot, at least you probably have electricity to turn on a fan, maybe air-con and a refrigerator to keep cool water and beer in. When I first came to Thailand in 1974, the place I worked and lived at, only had a generator that provided electricity from about 6pm to 9pm. Some nights, my bedsheets would be saturated in sweat. Prior to coming to Thailand, I spent a year in the Solomon Island in 1968 on the island of Malaita. Again, no electricity except in the evening for 3 hours from a generator. But it wasn't as hot as Isaan because the house was next to the sea. 

17 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

only had a generator that provided electricity from about 6pm to 9pm

Ooooh, luxury! ????
A sizeable part of the 6 years I worked in West and East Africa was spent under canvas, with no electricity at all.

Edited by Stocky

This year has been hot, humid and at the same time relativity dry here outside Udon Thani, the largest reservoir in the North east is Udon Rat, built in 1964 it has never historically been as dry as it is now! been a long time since any power was produced from it!

The only hope is there are some sizeable "tropical storms" in the area before the "rainy" season ends in mid September! ????

The weakening magnetic field appears to be having a profound effect on Isaan weather, hotter and drier for sure!

16 minutes ago, Malawi said:

Yes come back November, December, January and you will be cold.

If only!

Winter season is long gone in Isaan.

As far as I remember, there has been only one during the last decade...

We now live in perpetual summer season...

On 7/22/2020 at 3:07 PM, Brunolem said:

If only!

Winter season is long gone in Isaan.

As far as I remember, there has been only one during the last decade...

We now live in perpetual summer season...

It was cold for a couple of nights last November !