Internet Speeds In Isaan And Costs

lucidwave

I have been told that Internet speeds in Isaan can be quite slow. I don't live there myself, but I am writing about the place and I would like some insider info about Internet usage there. I realize Isaan is a big place and that speeds likely vary greatly in different parts of the region.

But, what sort of speeds can most people get in various urban and rural places there? and what are the costs?

What are the fastest speeds that can be obtained in the cities and in the countryside? and what is the cost for that?

Thanks in advance.....

I spent about 8 months living in Burriram in a tiny village called Nong Ki.

(thats in Burriram...not to be confused with Nong Kai up on Laos border).

I had to get TT&T the package , it was the 2nd biggest internet package which is recommened to support a large internet cafe, just to support my VOIP Europe phone which was totally essential for me to have for business in europe. it cost over 10,000 bhat a month. and the quality was not great.

also the net would do down a few days a month, and if there was a strom and wires damaged with falling trees etc...it would take days for them to fix it.

I would keep calling the help centre, and they could say "no problem on our end". so in the end I left Isan and moved to Pattaya, as the internet is much better, and cheaper down here, and also I was sick to death of rural living.

I am 13 km from my nearest town so ADSL is not an option. In practise in rural Thailand if you are more than 3 km's from the exchange just forget adsl - no need to ask - just look at the wires dipping into the rice fields!

I have lived here in Buriram province for over 4 years, throughout that time I have used IPStar.

Firstly this was provided by CSLoxinfo and I used them for 3 years ( at a cost of about 120,000 Baht per year)

I now use TOT and pay them 5243 B per month for a 1024 connection.

However both AIS and DTAC have upgraded their masts and GPRS with EDGE Speeds are available here now

On Saturday morning 21/04 I conducted the following speed tests (within a period of 5 minutes) on speedtest.adslthailand.com - please note that these are just a snapshot in time and not do not reflect a continual test over a period of time.

Speed Tests 10.30 am 21/04/07

TOT IPStar - ( I have a 1024/512 corporate connection) (WP reqd for Farang or in wifes name)

Download Speed: 1034 kbps (129.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 42 kbps (5.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

DTAC GPRS (tested using my DTAC contract account) (WP reqd for Farang or in wifes name)

Download Speed: 75 kbps (9.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 30 kbps (3.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

AIS GPRS (Tested using a pay as you go - 1 2 call account) (Available for anyone and their dog including tourists)

Download Speed: 113 kbps (14.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 43 kbps (5.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

It seem that GPRS Edge speeds are now available outside BKK however please check locally.

GPRS with EDGE is sufficient for surfing - I know of a neighbour who happily uses is to watch the previous nights television news and listens to liveradio.

GPRS on its own is fine for email and surfing (but turn off images)

If you here for a while get TOT IPStar - if not use GPRS, There is no other choice

• 2 years later...
I am 13 km from my nearest town so ADSL is not an option. In practise in rural Thailand if you are more than 3 km's from the exchange just forget adsl - no need to ask - just look at the wires dipping into the rice fields!

I have lived here in Buriram province for over 4 years, throughout that time I have used IPStar.

Firstly this was provided by CSLoxinfo and I used them for 3 years ( at a cost of about 120,000 Baht per year)

I now use TOT and pay them 5243 B per month for a 1024 connection.

However both AIS and DTAC have upgraded their masts and GPRS with EDGE Speeds are available here now

On Saturday morning 21/04 I conducted the following speed tests (within a period of 5 minutes) on speedtest.adslthailand.com - please note that these are just a snapshot in time and not do not reflect a continual test over a period of time.

Speed Tests 10.30 am 21/04/07

TOT IPStar - ( I have a 1024/512 corporate connection) (WP reqd for Farang or in wifes name)

Download Speed: 1034 kbps (129.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 42 kbps (5.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

DTAC GPRS (tested using my DTAC contract account) (WP reqd for Farang or in wifes name)

Download Speed: 75 kbps (9.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 30 kbps (3.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

AIS GPRS (Tested using a pay as you go - 1 2 call account) (Available for anyone and their dog including tourists)

Download Speed: 113 kbps (14.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 43 kbps (5.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

It seem that GPRS Edge speeds are now available outside BKK however please check locally.

GPRS with EDGE is sufficient for surfing - I know of a neighbour who happily uses is to watch the previous nights television news and listens to liveradio.

GPRS on its own is fine for email and surfing (but turn off images)

If you here for a while get TOT IPStar - if not use GPRS, There is no other choice

Thanks for posting. Would I use this in Khan Kor area of Chiaphum? Sorry for my ignorance and poor spelling.