Spice And Rare Tropical Wood Trees

altman

someone else asked a similar question not too long ago, but i can't find it.

so, where can i find young, plantable spice (cinnamon, vanilla, etc) and rare tropical (sandlawood, teak, etc) trees?

i am in chiang mai but will be planting them around phrae.

i have been to the local chiang mai greenery place over by tesco-lotus. they have mango, which is also on my list, but i haven't found the more exotic species.

i would prefer not to have to import them myself as that is more paperwork than i want to get into.

thanks

Not sure what you can find up in Chiang Mai but Teak should be quite easy to find. The forestry department should be able to point you in the right direction depending on the mood of the day.

In Kanchanaburi young trees grown from seeds are readily available by the thousands, cost is 1 baht a tree, a bit more if they get close to a foot. That's a long way from CM...

Teak seedlings can often be had by just looking around a mature teak tree where they sprout from the seeds...that's how I got mine....but if you are going to be commercial then its probably best to be sure you can register the trees so you will be allowed to cut them in the future....around here people don't seem to care too much about the formalities and people just grow them without any official anything.

Edited by chownah

Wasn't there a thread awhile back where some really exotic scented wood was discussed and people were talking about....might be some information there on exotic trees...don't know.

I think you are talking about agarwood trees (Aquillaria crassna)? Try searching for agarwood on the forum. I think seedlings are widely available in nurseries around the country. Usually about 20 baht each. I think the Thai name is Mai Kritsana.

I used to have lots of vanilla plants, but now only a few stems left because my family didn't take good care of them while I was away (most of the time I am away working in other countries). You can train the vanilla vines up mango trees, but then it's not easy to hand pollinate them. Normally best to grown them on a wire trellis on concrete fence posts in a shade house.

Best regards,

JB.

Wasn't there a thread awhile back where some really exotic scented wood was discussed and people were talking about....might be some information there on exotic trees...don't know.

I think you are talking about agarwood trees (Aquillaria crassna)? Try searching for agarwood on the forum. I think seedlings are widely available in nurseries around the country. Usually about 20 baht each. I think the Thai name is Mai Kritsana.

I used to have lots of vanilla plants, but now only a few stems left because my family didn't take good care of them while I was away (most of the time I am away working in other countries). You can train the vanilla vines up mango trees, but then it's not easy to hand pollinate them. Normally best to grown them on a wire trellis on concrete fence posts in a shade house.

Best regards,

JB.

i tried the agarwood search and unfortunately this is the only post that came up.

but on ggogle i find that it truly is a very rare and endangered tree. seems like that may be something to look into.

and thanks for the info on vanilla. i thought it was a tree. seems it is a vine. well, ok then ...

Best regards,

JB.

Where can we buy vanilla vines around chiang mai and what is the thai name for them. I know the cinnamon tree grows in the mountains around here but is there anyone growing them as a plantation here in thailand ?

i tried the agarwood search and unfortunately this is the only post that came up.

but on ggogle i find that it truly is a very rare and endangered tree. seems like that may be something to look into.

Try this link or search for the "teak log" thread for the agarwood comments.

Teak thread

The local nurseries have agarwood seedlings (talk to local forestry dept) and Touchwood has the resin inducing kits.

Don't know if agarwood will remain scarce for long. Based on the growth in Touchwood's own agarwood plantation in Thailand, they think it's possible to be managing 6 million trees in four years, up from 120,000 currently. Touchwood also has investment programs for vanilla and sandalwood. Their website and annual report has more info about projected returns.

Touchwood website

someone else asked a similar question not too long ago, but i can't find it.

so, where can i find young, plantable spice (cinnamon, vanilla, etc) and rare tropical (sandlawood, teak, etc) trees?

i am in chiang mai but will be planting them around phrae.

i have been to the local chiang mai greenery place over by tesco-lotus. they have mango, which is also on my list, but i haven't found the more exotic species.

i would prefer not to have to import them myself as that is more paperwork than i want to get into.

thanks

Here in Kamphaengphet the Dept of Forestry will give you 50 trees free for the asking. They may also have sapplings that you're looking for.

rgds

Best regards,

JB.

Have you tried the Forru nursery on top of Doi Suthep at the Royal Forest Department? They have seedlings of all sorts of forest trees. Pass the temple for, I think, about 300 meters and the entrance is on your right hand side. You can also inform at the Department of Biology at the CMU. So far I know, Forru is part of this Department.

Nienke