New Amnesty - apply for 1 year non O

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you do have a entry from a tourist visa and you dd not apply for the allowed 30 day extension of it.

No need for the embassy letter to apply for a 30 day extension and then the 90 day visa entry.

Thank you sir,  your time and input is very much appreciated! 

DS

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I'd apply for that 30 day extension before the end of this month.

I understand why you make that suggestion.

It is indeed not clear whether the application for a 30-days extension of stay from your VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry (if you have not used it yet) will be treated SAME under the present Amnesty extension (till 31 July) than under the extended one (till 26 September).

• Like 2

I have a similar question, just seeking a little clarification before I head to Immigration in a few weeks @ubonjoe

Came in on 60 day tourist visa which expired at the start of March.

Got +30 day extension.

Got the COVID +30 extension (which it turns out I didn't need).

Now on Amnesty.

I got married last week (yay!), can I apply for the +60 to visit my wife? (and if so, it would start from Sept 27th?) 

In fact I have already seasoned the 400,000THB since April so could I go straight to the non-o? Thankss

2 minutes ago, greggraham said:

I got married last week (yay!), can I apply for the +60 to visit my wife? (and if so, it would start from Sept 27th?) 

Yes unless you asked them to start it from the day you apply.

2 minutes ago, greggraham said:

In fact I have already seasoned the 400,000THB since April so could I go straight to the non-o? Thankss

You could apply for a 90 day entry from a non immigrant visa (category O). But they could want you to apply for the 60 day extension first so that you have a real permit to stay date.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I'd apply for that 30 day extension before the end of this month.

They're closed through tomorrow - I plan to do it on Wednesday, to the bank Thursday AM, update that letter, straight to IO and apply for the 90 day non-O visa. ????

Thanks! 

DS

1 hour ago, greggraham said:

Came in on 60 day tourist visa which expired at the start of March.

Got +30 day extension.

Got the COVID +30 extension (which it turns out I didn't need).

Now on Amnesty.

In fact I have already seasoned the 400,000THB since April so could I go straight to the non-o? ...

Congrats with your marriage!

Quick question > Was it a Village marriage or an official marriage at your local Amphoe?

The amphoe would provide you with the Kor Ror 3 (thai marriage certificate) as well as the Kor Ror 2 (certificate of marriage registration).  And you would need those documents (normally they require an updated Kor Ror 2, but being just married the Kor Ror 3 will do also) to apply for the 60-day extension of stay to visit your thai wife, as well as for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa when you apply for reason of marriage.

The amphoe in order to register your marriage will normally ask for evidence that you are 'free to marry'.  If you don't have that evidence, a visit to your Embassy in Bangkok would be required to get such evidence, as well as a visit to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to officially translate the Embassy evidence (can be done same day).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Congrats with your marriage!

Quick question > Was it a Village marriage or an official marriage at your local Amphoe?

The amphoe would provide you with the Kor Ror 3 (thai marriage certificate) as well as the Kor Ror 2 (certificate of marriage registration).  And you would need those documents (normally they require an updated Kor Ror 2, but being just married the Kor Ror 3 will do also) to apply for the 60-day extension of stay to visit your thai wife, as well as for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa when you apply for reason of marriage.

The amphoe in order to register your marriage will normally ask for evidence that you are 'free to marry'.  If you don't have that evidence, a visit to your Embassy in Bangkok would be required to get such evidence, as well as a visit to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to officially translate the Embassy evidence (can be done same day).

Thank you. Yeah, (when it finally reopened at the start of July) we went to British embassy to get the free-to-marry & passport affirmation, got them translated, went to MFA. Following week we went to the Amphoe and got lucky and managed to get everything signed and processed in one morning, so have Kor Ror 2 & 3.

So, think we are good to go now, money seasoned for a while, it's just the fact I'm on amnesty that concerns me. 

Edited by greggraham
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Thank you. Yeah, (when it finally reopened at the start of July) we went to British embassy to get the free-to-marry affirmation & passport, did translation, went to MFA. Following week we went to the Amphoe and got lucky and managed to get everything signed and processed in one morning, so have Kor Ror 2 & 3. 

1 hour ago, greggraham said:

In fact I have already seasoned the 400,000THB since April so could I go straight to the non-o?

No, you'll have to apply for the 60 day extension of stay to visit Thai wife, which personally I'd do ASAP before the end of this month.

After 30 days, apply for the Non O, which will grant a further 90 days.

Within the last 30 days of the Non O apply for the 1 year extension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Thank you. Yeah, (when it finally reopened at the start of July) we went to British embassy to get the free-to-marry affirmation & passport, did translation, went to MFA. Following week we went to the Amphoe and got lucky and managed to get everything signed and processed in one morning, so have Kor Ror 2 & 3.

So, think we are good to go now, money seasoned for a while, it's just the fact I'm on amnesty that concerns me. 

No need for any concerns.

Unless you are applying at the roguest of all rogue offices, they will simply accept your application for the 60-day extension of stay (and in the unlikely case of them refusing it because you being on the amnesty, administrative relocation to a more accomodating IO in another province will solve the issue). 

The granted 60-day permission to stay will allow you then to apply in the 15 days (or 23 days at some offices) before that 60-day permission to stay expires, to apply at your local IO for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (either for marriage or if you are +50 years of age for reason of retirement).  And in the last month of those 90-days you can then apply at that same local IO for the 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O Visa.

NOTE: If you apply for the 60-day extension of stay in course of this week, your 60-day extension of stay will normally start from date of application.

However when you apply after 31 July, the recently announced Amnesty extension (effective from 1 August) will be applicable.  And IO stipulated that any Visa extensions done during the period from 1 August till 26 September, will have 27 September as start-date (instead of day of application).

So in your case it would be worthwhile to ask your local IO, whether when applying after 31 July would provide you the 60-day extension start-date of 27 September AND more importantly whether you could then apply in November for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

If yes, that would provide you with an extra 2 months.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

So in your case it would be worthwhile to ask your local IO, whether when applying after 31 July would provide you the 60-day extension start-date of 27 September AND more importantly whether you could then apply in November for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

If yes, that would provide you with an extra 2 months.

Thanks for the thoughtful and reassuring reply. 

I'm a bit confused about the "AND whether you could then apply in November" part - if the extension started at the end of Sept why wouldn't I be able to apply for the Non-O in Nov? 

Actually we are in another province visiting family second half of this week (when immigration is open) so won't be able to go until August now anyway. Hopefully this isn't a problem. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Thanks for the thoughtful and reassuring reply. 

I'm a bit confused about the "AND whether you could then apply in November" part - if the extension started at the end of Sept why wouldn't I be able to apply for the Non-O in Nov? 

Actually we are in another province visiting family second half of this week (when immigration is open) so won't be able to go until August now anyway. Hopefully this isn't a problem. 

It is crazy, but at the moment it is not fully clear whether the way in which IOs handle applications would be SAME after the new Amnesty extension takes effect (1 August).

Your plan (first 60-day extension then followed by application for Non Imm O Visa) would work at the majority of IOs under the current Amnesty.  And normally there should be no problem that it would also work after 31 July.  

Maybe you or your wife can do a phone call to your local IO on Wednesday, to enquire about the above.  And if they say needs to be done before 1 August, you would then still have time to go back and apply. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, Peter Denis said:

(and in the unlikely case of them refusing it because you being on the amnesty, administrative relocation to a more accomodating IO in another province will solve the issue). 

However when you apply after 31 July, the recently announced Amnesty extension (effective from 1 August) will be applicable.  And IO stipulated that any Visa extensions done during the period from 1 August till 26 September, will have 27 September as start-date (instead of day of application).

Hey Peter,

I got knocked down with a cold,  so I haven't been to IO.

Wondering what you mean by "administrative relocation to a more accomodating IO in another province will solve the issue."

It does appear that Chiang Mai might qualify for  "the roguest of all rogue offices" descrpition. I've considered running up to Chiang Khong to do this - I volunteered at that office a few days helping with English, acquainted with several of the officers - and I suspect they're likely to do it for the normal 1900 baht fee.

But I have my residence docs here in Chiang Mai.

And sounds like there's more clarity on how this will be administered after July 31. I can probably get it done tomorrow if necessary, for sure the 30 day extension. 

What do you think?

DS

8 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

Wondering what you mean by "administrative relocation to a more accomodating IO in another province will solve the issue."

It does appear that Chiang Mai might qualify for  "the roguest of all rogue offices" descrpition. I've considered running up to Chiang Khong to do this - I volunteered at that office a few days helping with English, acquainted with several of the officers - and I suspect they're likely to do it for the normal 1900 baht fee.

But I have my residence docs here in Chiang Mai.

And sounds like there's more clarity on how this will be administered after July 31. I can probably get it done tomorrow if necessary, for sure the 30 day extension.

Attached a link to a post in another thread addressing the 'relocation option' in case your local IO is not willing to accept your application for an extension of stay, because of you being on the Amnesty.

>>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

in case your local IO is not willing to accept your application for an extension of stay, because of you being on the Amnesty.

I read through that, thanks, there's useful tidbits. 

I just found this in Phuket News:

"The "automatic visa extension" continues until Sept 26. In order for short-term visa holders to remain in Thailand after that date, they must apply for an extension to stay before Sept 26.

For that, they must have a letter from their embassy or a letter from a doctor (in case illness is preventing travel). The 30-day extension, if granted, will become effective from Sept 27."

So now I'm worried again.

I did receive a letter from the US embassy requesting an extension and this was included.

"we wish to refer to the Global Level 4 Health Advisory issued by the Department of State on March 19, 2020 which advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel."

But that was dated March 26, @ubonjoe said it's too old. I requested a new one on Monday, no response and I've seen in several places/posts they're not issuing those anymore. 

My plan is to apply for the extension tomorrow. 

Thoughts?

Thanks,

DS

14 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

"The "automatic visa extension" continues until Sept 26. In order for short-term visa holders to remain in Thailand after that date, they must apply for an extension to stay before Sept 26.

For that, they must have a letter from their embassy or a letter from a doctor (in case illness is preventing travel). The 30-day extension, if granted, will become effective from Sept 27."

I did receive a letter from the US embassy requesting an extension and this was included.

"we wish to refer to the Global Level 4 Health Advisory issued by the Department of State on March 19, 2020 which advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel."

But that was dated March 26, @ubonjoe said it's too old. I requested a new one on Monday, no response and I've seen in several places/posts they're not issuing those anymore. 

Thoughts?

Thanks,

DS

If you're not staying in Phuket, that info won't be of any use at several other immigration offices. Why apply for the extension tomorrow? Go to immigration and ask them about your options before applying for the extension. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

The Announcement published by Immigration (attached below) only addressed the Embassy issued 'emergency 30-day extension of stay' as a means of staying beyond 26 September for short-term Visa holders.

But there are other means of extending your stay in Thailand, provided your local IO is willing to accept your application (some IOs do not want to issue any extension when not on a 'valid' permission to stay and presently on the Amnesty extension - in that case temporary administrative relocation could be considered).  As there is no consistency in how different IOs accept/refuse or will handle applications, you would need to enquire at your local IO about your options.

Possible extension options:

- 30-days extension of stay (if not used already, and applicable for those on a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry);

- 60-days extension of stay for reason of visiting your thai wife/thai dependant child (if not used already, and applicable for any Visa category);

- 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, marriage or other reason (applicable for those on a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry - and needs to be applied for when at least 15 < or 23 > days left on your permission to stay);

- 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa (applicable for those on a Non Imm O or O-A Visa - when meeting the financial criteria);

- 5-year Elite Visa (applicable for those on a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry).

announcement Immigration.jpg

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

Thoughts?

Thanks,

DS

• Like 1

In that case temporary administrative relocation could be considered).  As there is no consistency in how different IOs accept/refuse or will handle applications, you would need to enquire at your local IO about your options.

Possible extension options:

- 30-days extension of stay (if not used already, and applicable for those on a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry); 

You would only need a rental contract for a place in that new province and then do the TM-30 (or TM-27) change of address procedure at that new IO, which would then make you eligible to apply for the 1-year extension at the new IO.

I read through that link you sent, and I guess my question about temporary administrative relocation is regarding the rental contract - does it have to be 6 months? I have a friend in Chiang Khong who owns a guesthouse, but I hate to ask her to do something that's shady, probably illegal, providing a false document. 

I just returned from IO. The guy there said to wait a while. He knows that I want to apply for the non imm O visa, said it can't be done with the visa that expired Apr 26. @ubonjoe said there shouldn't be a problem with that visa, but maybe the entire Chiang Mai IO is doing their level best to squeeze every farang for 20,000 baht, which in my case is more than a full month of my Social Security pension. 

I also asked about the new requirement for a letter from the Embassy. He said that’s correct. He confirmed that the March 26 letter is out of date, can’t be more than 30 days old.

I sent a request for a new letter to the Embassy on Monday, followed up today.

Their response was “We are not issuing letters of support of extension of stay to U.S. citizens at this time. Please continue to monitor our website for updates”

Wotta flippin headache.

DS

8 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

I read through that link you sent, and I guess my question about temporary administrative relocation is regarding the rental contract - does it have to be 6 months? I have a friend in Chiang Khong who owns a guesthouse, but I hate to ask her to do something that's shady, probably illegal, providing a false document. 

I just returned from IO. The guy there said to wait a while. He knows that I want to apply for the non imm O visa, said it can't be done with the visa that expired Apr 26. @ubonjoe said there shouldn't be a problem with that visa, but maybe the entire Chiang Mai IO is doing their level best to squeeze every farang for 20,000 baht, which in my case is more than a full month of my Social Security pension. 

I also asked about the new requirement for a letter from the Embassy. He said that’s correct. He confirmed that the March 26 letter is out of date, can’t be more than 30 days old.

I sent a request for a new letter to the Embassy on Monday, followed up today.

Their response was “We are not issuing letters of support of extension of stay to U.S. citizens at this time. Please continue to monitor our website for updates”

Wotta flippin headache.

DS

Being still July and the "amnesty" is over September 26, I guess that's the reason for the US embassy to not issue support letters at this time. They're probably waiting to see what happens and if any border will open for foreigners. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

1 - I read through that link you sent, and I guess my question about temporary administrative relocation is regarding the rental contract - does it have to be 6 months? I have a friend in Chiang Khong who owns a guesthouse, but I hate to ask her to do something that's shady, probably illegal, providing a false document. 

2 - I just returned from IO. The guy there said to wait a while. He knows that I want to apply for the non imm O visa, said it can't be done with the visa that expired Apr 26. @ubonjoe said there shouldn't be a problem with that visa, but maybe the entire Chiang Mai IO is doing their level best to squeeze every farang for 20,000 baht, which in my case is more than a full month of my Social Security pension.

1 - It is surely not shady or illegal to relocate to a different province.  You are free to stay in Thailand at any province of your liking.  In order to officially relocate you would need a 'rental contract' to satisfy the IO that that is the place where you are now staying when doing your TM-30 (or TM-27) change of address notification there.  Obviously, a short rental-contract would be preferable, as it is only meant as a temporary administrative relocation.

And you are not obliged to stay in that new place, the only possible exception being when you apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa for reason of MARRIAGE.  In that case it is possible that IO might do an announced or non-announced visit during your 'under consideration period' to check whether you are indeed living there.

If you applied for the 60-day extension of stay at the IO in your new province, there will be no such visit and hence my remark that you do not need to physically relocate when you prefer living at your 'old place'.  And of course once the 60-day extension of stay has been approved, nothing stops you from immediately relocating again to your old place.  The difference being that after having done that, you can now apply for the 1-year extension of stay from the 'valid' permission to stay that 60-day extension provided you.

2 - Please do provide the details of your application that was turned down.

Necessary info:

- On what Visa did you enter Thailand?  E.g. a 1-year Non Imm O marriage Visa issued at a thai consulate abroad

- What was the Visa validity date of that Visa on which you entered Thailand?  The Visa validity date is printed on the Visa sticker in your passport

- When did you enter Thailand, and what was the permission to stay date stamped in your passport?

- At which IO did you apply for an extension?  And for which extension did you apply (30-day, 60-day, 90-day Non Imm O Visa, 1-year)

- What was the REASON quoted by the Imm officer to refuse your application?

>> When responding to these questions, it will be possible to provide you with a clear overview of your options without having to make assumptions.

Please do provide the details of your application that was turned down.

Necessary info:

- On what Visa did you enter Thailand? E.g. a 1-year Non Imm O marriage Visa issued at a thai consulate abroad

I entered on a US METV, Los Angeles

- What was the Visa validity date of that Visa on which you entered Thailand? The Visa validity date is printed on the Visa sticker in your passport.

Was issued on Sept 11, 2019, entered on October 10, 2019.

- When did you enter Thailand, and what was the permission to stay date stamped in your passport?

The most recent visa was a land entry stamped and dated at Ranong, Feb 26, expired Apr 25, 2020 and it's the only land entry for 2020.

- At which IO did you apply for an extension?

I’ve been trying to do this at Chiang Mai IO.

And btw, I speak pretty well, am always polite, Thai ladyfriend has accompanied me every time. 

And for which extension did you apply (30-day, 60-day, 90-day Non Imm O Visa, 1-year)

I have not been allowed to apply for the 30 day extension. Have tried twice. Both times was told to wait till the end of the amnesty, the second time was this afternoon, first was late June.

I tried for the non O retirement visa on July 14 using form TM7.

The officer at the window refused, said I needed to apply for the non-Imm-O before April 4, twenty one days before the Ranong stamp expired ... the existing July 31 amnesty is not relevant.

I told her that in April I didn’t know I’d be staying. Told her I’d been checking in with the volunteers out front, they thought the amnesty would allow the application, they said the application was complete, told me to get in line.

She said that didn’t matter, now I have to leave the country and re-enter before I can apply for non- Imm-O. Impossible. 

A volunteer suggested that I file again using the TM 86, the officers had been instructed to use this form for people in my situation, here on the amnesty.

So I did that July 15. I do have the money in place and the residence documents.

I got the new form filled out and I brought all the documents to immigration, an American volunteer (who’s been there a long time) looked them over, said I had everything, get in line. Was about 9:30 am.

Went to the window, two officers looked the papers over and the guy said to wait a while.

After about 15 minutes he called us back to the window, said he had to show the documents and application to a ‘specialist’ and we had to wait a little longer.

After about 30 minutes a lady wearing civilian clothes - not the uniform the officers wear - came to us, she had my passport and documents, said she didn’t speak much English and told my friend Too that she would try to help.

She went ‘behind the windows’ and came back about 20 minutes later, a little before 11am.

She said the most recent visa (Apr 25) is not valid, will never be valid, so I will not be able to use it to apply for non-Imm-O ... but she had a ‘special channel’ - they could ignore that ‘problem’ and get the non-Imm-O visa finished today for 25,000 baht if I gave her the money before 2pm. That's a good bit more than my monthly miniscule Social Security.  

She said I would first have to go transfer the money in my account from Krung Sri to Bangkok Bank because Bangkok Bank would provide a document quickly, Krung Sri would be too slow.

She said if I didn’t do it before 2:00 today I have to wait until July 30 and then her ‘special channel’ would give a discount – 18,000 baht. Gave us her phone number.

Said she was confident that the ‘amnesty’ would not be extended into August, and on August 1, I would have to leave the country or be subject to ‘overstay’

They have all pointed to the Apr 25 expiration date, and say the amnesty is not regarded as an official ‘permission to stay’ - there’s no stamp for July 31.

If that's not clear or you have other questions, no problem. 

Thanks, much appreciated!

DS

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

- On what Visa did you enter Thailand? E.g. a 1-year Non Imm O marriage Visa issued at a thai consulate abroad

I entered on a US METV, Los Angeles

- What was the Visa validity date of that Visa on which you entered Thailand? The Visa validity date is printed on the Visa sticker in your passport.

Was issued on Sept 11, 2019, entered on October 10, 2019.

The most recent visa was a land entry stamped and dated at Ranong, Feb 26, expired Apr 25, 2020 and it's the only land entry for 2020.

- At which IO did you apply for an extension?

I’ve been trying to do this at Chiang Mai IO.

And btw, I speak pretty well, am always polite, Thai ladyfriend has accompanied me every time. 

And for which extension did you apply (30-day, 60-day, 90-day Non Imm O Visa, 1-year)

I have not been allowed to apply for the 30 day extension. Have tried twice. Both times was told to wait till the end of the amnesty, the second time was this afternoon, first was late June.

I tried for the non O retirement visa on July 14 using form TM7.

The officer at the window refused, said I needed to apply for the non-Imm-O before April 4, twenty one days before the Ranong stamp expired ... the existing July 31 amnesty is not relevant.

I told her that in April I didn’t know I’d be staying. Told her I’d been checking in with the volunteers out front, they thought the amnesty would allow the application, they said the application was complete, told me to get in line.

She said that didn’t matter, now I have to leave the country and re-enter before I can apply for non- Imm-O. Impossible. 

A volunteer suggested that I file again using the TM 86, the officers had been instructed to use this form for people in my situation, here on the amnesty.

So I did that July 15. I do have the money in place and the residence documents.

I got the new form filled out and I brought all the documents to immigration, an American volunteer (who’s been there a long time) looked them over, said I had everything, get in line. Was about 9:30 am.

Went to the window, two officers looked the papers over and the guy said to wait a while.

After about 15 minutes he called us back to the window, said he had to show the documents and application to a ‘specialist’ and we had to wait a little longer.

After about 30 minutes a lady wearing civilian clothes - not the uniform the officers wear - came to us, she had my passport and documents, said she didn’t speak much English and told my friend Too that she would try to help.

She went ‘behind the windows’ and came back about 20 minutes later, a little before 11am.

She said the most recent visa (Apr 25) is not valid, will never be valid, so I will not be able to use it to apply for non-Imm-O ... but she had a ‘special channel’ - they could ignore that ‘problem’ and get the non-Imm-O visa finished today for 25,000 baht if I gave her the money before 2pm. That's a good bit more than my monthly miniscule Social Security.  

She said I would first have to go transfer the money in my account from Krung Sri to Bangkok Bank because Bangkok Bank would provide a document quickly, Krung Sri would be too slow.

She said if I didn’t do it before 2:00 today I have to wait until July 30 and then her ‘special channel’ would give a discount – 18,000 baht. Gave us her phone number.

Said she was confident that the ‘amnesty’ would not be extended into August, and on August 1, I would have to leave the country or be subject to ‘overstay’

They have all pointed to the Apr 25 expiration date, and say the amnesty is not regarded as an official ‘permission to stay’ - there’s no stamp for July 31.

If that's not clear or you have other questions, no problem. 

Thanks, much appreciated!

DS

Hi,

Thanks for the crystal clear report.

It is clear that IO in CM is trying to extort you for tea-money.

They are correct in so far that if it is CM policy not to accept an application for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (for reason of retirement) when you are on the Amnesty extension, that they cannot do it from your already expired permission to stay (April 25), because you have been on the Amnesty since that date.

But you have a life-line (which they - conveniently - seem to ignore), and that is that you did not apply yet for the 30-day extension of stay your Tourist Visa entitles you to.  When applying for that 30-day extension of stay first, you could then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement from that 'valid' permission to stay.  You would have to do this while there are still 15 days (some IOs require 23 days) on that permission to stay.  And you would only need to show that you meet the financials on the day of application.

It is possible that CM IO also does not want to handle your application for the 30-days extension of stay because you already being on the Amnesty.  But there is a precedent here, since there is a confirmed case of somebody in exactly that same situation that successfully did this at CW (Bangkok).

So it would only be a matter of finding a more accomodating IO that would not refuse your application for the 30-day extension of stay your Tourist Visa entitles you to, and then use that 30-day permission to stay as the spring-board to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (and in the last month of that 90-day Visa you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa).

Attached a link to a post in another thread addressing the 'relocation option' in case your local IO is not willing to accept your application for an extension of stay, because of you being on the Amnesty.

>>

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It is possible that CM IO also does not want to handle your application for the 30-days extension of stay because you already being on the Amnesty.  But there is a precedent here, since there is a confirmed case of somebody in exactly that same situation that successfully did this at CW (Bangkok).

So it would only be a matter of finding a more accomodating IO that would not refuse your application for the 30-day extension of stay your Tourist Visa entitles you to, and then use that 30-day permission to stay as the spring-board to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (and in the last month of that 90-day Visa you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa).

Thanks!

Pretty sure I can get TM 30 in Chiang Khong, checking into that now.

DS

41 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

Pretty sure I can get TM 30 in Chiang Khong, checking into that now.

When on a Tourist Visa (or Visa Exempt) you won't need to file a TM-30 for change of address.  You can apply at any IO for the 30-days extension of stay.  And in case, IO should want it you can do your TM-30 on the spot (being a Tourist a hotel can be your 'place of staying').

But it is when applying for the 60-day extension of stay (for reason of visiting your thai wife/dependant child) or for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa or 1-year extension of stay from such Visa, that IO will want you to have your 'home address' in their province.  So then you would need a rental contract to do your TM-30 (or TM-27) for the official change of address to that rental place, which needs to be done first before applying for the 60-day or 1-year extension or the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:49 PM, fondue zoo said:

okay thanks, will ring Chaeng Watthana office on Wednesday and ask about what they will allow for those on Amnesty time only, and if the Amnesty extension (with Embassy letter) can be converted.

Has anyone yet had an official response from CW about what I mentioned above?  I've made three attempts at ringing their office on three different days, times (not at lunch time) and either nobody picks up or I get put on hold and then the call drops.  May have to hoof it over there... is that food market still operating?