Renew Australian Passport while in Thailand.

I'm currently in Thailand on annual retirement ext. My Aussie PP will expire April 2021. So sometime soon in the coming months I'll need to get a new one. Does anybody have any current info for me? Can I renew online and by EMS or do I need to go to BKK in person? Can an agent get one for me? Any info, tips much appreciated.

14 hours ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

Step 1: Go and get your passport pics

Step 2: Go to the passports.gov website and fill out their online form for renewing passports and it will spit out the form you need. Print i.

Step 3: Go to the Bangkok embassy website and book an appointment

Step 4: Wait for the passport to arrive

Step 5: Pick it up from the embassy. No need to book an appointment for pick up.

Pretty straightforward - the most annoying is that their recommended photo shop is in Chatuchak whereas the embassy is in Wireless Rd.

So I'll need to make 2 trips to BKK for this? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I renewed my passport at the Phuket Consulate a few months ago. I used recent photos I had taken for Immigration forms. We took the photos at home and had them printed at a photo shop.

They are acceptable if they fit the guidelines given on the passport website.

• Like 2

Got knocked back on the photos - paper not good enough (OK for Thai immigration though). Had to retake at shop near embassy - I'm not too sure about rip off, but was no corruption, well paid, Aussie Embassy!

Needed Drivers Licence for ID flight home. New passport posted in 3 weeks as promised.

6 hours ago, TSF said:

So I'll need to make 2 trips to BKK for this? 

Last time I renewed mine they gave me the option to have it posted to me, for a fee, however when you choose that option they cut a piece off the front cover effectively making it invalid. The new passport was in my letter box in Pattaya in 7 days and the day I lodged the application was the day that Irish git running Qantas sacked all of the pilots. May take longer at the moment considering a lack of flights available.

Passport.jpg

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, Pungdo said:

Last time I renewed mine they gave me the option to have it posted to me, for a fee, however when you choose that option they cut a piece off the front cover effectively making it invalid. The new passport was in my letter box in Pattaya in 7 days and the day I lodged the application was the day that Irish git running Qantas sacked all of the pilots. May take longer at the moment considering a lack of flights available.

Passport.jpg

When a new passport is issued it's standard practice to invalidate the old one by cutting the front cover and inserting a stamp inside referencing the new document.

It's nothing to do with postage.

Are you stating the new passport was the one invalidated?

On 7/26/2020 at 10:16 AM, briofoz said:

Where are you?  Did mine in Phuket at Aus Consul Office. $420 or around 8000 Baht. They suggest photos from small photo shop ground floor of Big C Phuket Town.

I'm in Korat, so the nearest is BKK (I believe)

On 7/26/2020 at 12:22 PM, Pungdo said:

Passport.jpg

Please tell they didn't do this to your brand new PP???? Surely to God this is your old PP.

• Confused 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:37 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

Further to DAFTTOPUTREALNAMES  well put  suggestion, he omitted to say, between steps 2 and three,,  you  post in your application,  with payment, or take it to the embassy with payment in hand..  They post  back to you  your new passport.  Easy. Just download the  application form.

Even if I post in the application with payment I still need to make an appointment and attend in person?

20 hours ago, newcomer01 said:

Chiangmai.  Was able to be done through hon consul.  Check website.

Cheers but I'm in Korat so I think BKK is closer. 

I actually have 2 PPs...Brit & Oz, I'm in Thailand on the UK PP, I only use the Oz PP to enter & depart Oz. Due to current circumstances I doubt if I'll be entering Oz until middle 2021 at earliest, so I'll get a new Oz PP later this year or early 2021. As it expires in April 2021 I presume I could use it to enter Oz any time right up to April 2021 and that all that must have 6 months validy BS doesn't apply to me.

OP I renewed mine via the Aust Embassy here in BKK, simple, download the one page renewal form etc, as most of the posts advise, however, be careful if the scam they run, with regards to passport photos. I turned up with four, from a passport shop in WA, just prior to my passport expiring, 

would t accept them, no sir, not what we want, you need to go to photo shop, where, just ask at other counter (as you enter the Embassy proper) indeed, small map already done, you want motorbike,bingo, my wife and I walk out front, two bikes already waiting, they knew where we needed to go, waited and returned us, i actually submitted the same photo I had taken in Perth (and had arrived at the embassy with - going to claim silly mistake) and lo and Behold they accepted it. Amazing. But overall the process and time is under three weeks, posted, EMS to me.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Anybody renewed their passport in Thailand lately?

Payment of fees seem very restrictive.
According to the OZ website "Fees are payable in Thai Baht by Visa/ Mastercard Credit or Debit card only (no cash payments accepted)."

I do not have and never had a VISA / MASTERCARD.
Are there any other options available for paying the fee without resorting obtaining a Thai DEBIT CARD?

I renewed mine 8 months ago (and paid with a Thai visa card). In your case, what card are you currently using to withdraw funds at ATMs etc?

If you don't have a Thai bank account, then your overseas ATM/Debit Card would suffice as long as it has a Visa/MasterCard logo (as opposed to a China Union Pay logo).