No income to pay home loan.

28 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Nonetheless, she came home to my condo and "looked after my needs" as they say, for free for several days - then she left.

Let's just hope she didn't give you more than you bargained for ????

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I agree, I've only ever had great times in Thailand.

I've had fun relationships with many attractive women, got two great children and live in a nice house.

Never lent the family any money but do give granny 3k/month to live on as she's house sitting my son's farm.

We gave the father 2000 baht month .... till he passed away recently.    He never asked for money .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rumak said:

So, not just the OP's wifes family..... but everyone i meet I tell them to SAVE.   How can people work and

not save enough for even one years rent or mortgage ?   Easy, that is their lifestyle.  I know all about excuses...... but to me its all about the person in the mirror.   Borrow from him/her  

Agreed,

I've always felt safer with the next 5 years living expenses sat in the bank.

1 hour ago, Aussiepeter said:

I am sure that I'd never seen her before in my life - but she insisted that I had and I was in no position to argue - she was drop-dead beautiful. Nice girl, shame she had a bad memory.

after the second day I think I would have told her "  ohhhhh, now i remember !  "

????????

On 7/26/2020 at 8:47 AM, BaanOz said:

Thanks ezzra and Peter.

Something seems a odd, I see back in April there was news about the Government Savings Bank suspending principal and interest payments for 6 months. Do you know if this something variable between their bank branches or customers? Also, mentions "they can enter a two-year loan suspension measure".
https://www.pattayamail.com/business/thai-government-bank-offers-assistance-to-loan-customers-affected-by-covid-19-296739

Yes if it comes to that, my wife wants to deposit (use Transferwise) into the home loan directly and (from sister) apparently this is not possible. It needs to be deposited into their account first ????

When did your wife find this out about the 3 month extension? Relos said yesterday suspension is over end of this month.

Wife will telephone the GSB branch tomorrow and see if they will answer some questions from a non customer.

Cheers.

"Their business is closed and not expected to reopen any time soon and they have no income at all."

May I ask what kind of business they're running if it's not expected to reopen soon? They must have been able to receive the ฿5000/month per person for 3 months if they applied for it a few months ago? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agreed,

I've always felt safer with the next 5 years living expenses sat in the bank.

"I've always felt safer with the next 5 years living expenses sat in the bank."

Then I guess you don't spend a lot? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Got to be cruel to be kind, now if my inlaws required hospitalisation in a private hospital and it was a life and death matter, naturally I would assist as I am the only breadwinner, in our marriage, and I wouldn't be looking at recouping the funds, however, that would be a life and death matter vs a personal decision to purchase a property while running a business which had to close due to covid which has impacted on them generating an income. 

Government hospital is free and perfectly capable of dealing with any medical problem

Or referring the patient to a hospital that can, which is also free.

If a Thai says their only option is private, they're lying.

6 minutes ago, The Theory said:

If their business is closed and there will be no income how do you expect they pay you back (they can not even pay back the current bank loan)!!!!! Anything you pay you will lose in the end or perhaps you will receive it partially (land office fees, lawyer fees).
Don't buy yourself trouble that you won't be able to manage, especially you are not here. 

I am not the person lending the money, nobody would be paying me back, not paying me back

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rumak said:

So, not just the OP's wifes family..... but everyone i meet I tell them to SAVE.   How can people work and

not save enough for even one years rent or mortgage ? 

I have met quite a few locals who have a different mentality to money and savings .

They view money as being something to be spent and they cannot understand having money and not spending it .

The money in their pocket is the only money they've got anywhere  and that money need to be spent as soon as possible .

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 10:45 PM, BaanOz said:

Their business is closed and not expected to reopen any time soon and they have no income at all.

So, you could be paying forever with them not needing to go to work again. Seems a little foolish to me.

However if the wife gets a 50/50 share with her sister then it could be a good investment if house sold on parents death, assuming your not as old as they are !

15 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I have met quite a few locals who have a different mentality to money and savings .

They view money as being something to be spent and they cannot understand having money and not spending it .

The money in their pocket is the only money they've got anywhere  and that money need to be spent as soon as possible .

you see !  now how are they gonna have money to lend to ME when i  want it ??

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

you see !  now how are they gonna have money to lend to ME when i  want it ??

They are friends, friends share everything they got with each other , they will share with you everything they've got ..............which just happens to be nothing at all

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2020 at 12:59 PM, BaanOz said:

6800B

Then just help them out by sending your wife’s family 1000 Australian dollars to cover 4 months mortgage payments

Edited by NightSky

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Government hospital is free and perfectly capable of dealing with any medical problem

Or referring the patient to a hospital that can, which is also free.

If a Thai says their only option is private, they're lying.

Another fact that many on here don't seem to be aware of.   Ms Rumak's father was extremely ill last

year,  needed to go by ambulance to the hospital.  He was in critical condition and they saved his life.

He was in the hospital about one month, before returning home .  All services, including ambulance, hospital, and medicine was free.   Some of the equipment necessary might not even have been available in some private hospitals.    

• Like 1

A quick look at their credit report will tell you if the situation is toxic.  If they have had excellent credit up until now, that would make a much better case for a bailout.  You would also see if they have taken any other loans.  Often, the sub prime lenders will make a loan on equity, with a low rate for six months or a year, then the rate jumps way up, and they are forced to sell below market.  Happened to a woman I knew, with some land she inherited.  Not an idiot, but a year later, she had very little to show for what her father left her.

12 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Do you have a line in the sand or is it free for all?

Its not a free for all, they rarely ask for anything- maybe the mrs sends them stuff.

If they do need something larger we would discuss it like adults and see how or if we could help.

If the wifes parents needed 6,000 THB a month tide over because there business is shut for Covid, I would certainly pay it. If they have not got form for ripping the OP off or caught lying about things before, why would you not if you could afford it?

• Like 2

Sister's name on the property is not good if she in untrustworthy and if there are internal problems. 6800 baht per month is not that much, so maybe pay until your wife and you can easily come here and then negotiate your wife's name on the final title if you pay the house off. Not worth the parents losing their house but needs to be clear the sister it is not hers in the end either.

• Like 2

I would pay the next three months to the bank, not the sister, ( surely a way to do this, your wife calling the bank for example, ) and maybe another three months later if need be . Not a fortune , but I’d stop there. 

15 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

A lot of very thoughtful replies.
There is way more to the "cheap Charlie" line mentioned. Wife and I are on the same level with family help and she has worked super hard in Australia since arriving and have helped family over 25+ years so the tight arze thing is not a thing.

WE are so sick of it but will yet again help  O N L Y  if we have to.

Yeah continually helping out over 25 years would be annoying. When is enough enough?

Other thing is if the sister takes an additional loan out on the home or land. This is a possibility in these hard times and definitely a scary scenario if she does. Find it funny that her name is the only one on the title.

We had GSB for our house and you cannot just send directly to the account. I wanted to send our final total balance directly from my US bank to them and it wasn't doable, so I transferred to my account then took the cash out and had the wife go pay off directly that way.  

It might be coming up that we might have to help my wife's sister out with their Bangkok home payments, but I will make it known that it is not for here lazy good for nothing husband, only for her and the kid.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Its not a free for all, they rarely ask for anything- maybe the mrs sends them stuff.

If they do need something larger we would discuss it like adults and see how or if we could help.

If the wifes parents needed 6,000 THB a month tide over because there business is shut for Covid, I would certainly pay it. If they have not got form for ripping the OP off or caught lying about things before, why would you not if you could afford it?

this post is more sensible than calling people tight bastards.     that would be like me saying anyone

helping out is a stupid idiot.   These matters are dependent on the parties involved, of course.

But the fact remains that so so many people...many of them farangs... have big problems when it comes

to "helping".    I helped my wife's parents long ago to modernize their house.   They did not ask, and

they were great people.    I have not always been so fortunate when helping others.

Why don't people save ?   Big houses,  new pick-ups,  no money.    hmmmmm

My family are caring, pleasant people who have always gone out of their way to be nice. They do not steal, and all work...... but like many Thais, financial management is not in their toolkit.

I have helped out several times for genuine issues (including a deadbeat farang husband who died without a will, leaving my sister-in-law penniless due to getting her to borrow money to finish building a house). Repayment was always promised, when land could be sold. 5 years later, land still unsold ......

I only loaned the money because my daughter's Thai inheritance might have become compromised. Now, i deny any savings and say i only have my pensions!

Ok, my daughter will  get a house and about 5 rai of land when me and my wife are gone, but money? Probably not.