Strange PC or VGA issue

Susco

Let me first explain my setup.

My PC is in a the storage room behind my office.

All cables and wires go through the wall, and I have the start button, card reader etc on the wall in my office.

Same for the HDMI, whch goes through tubing in the wall and has a HDMI wall socket behind my 40" LCD.

This has been setup 8 years ago and no issues.

This afternoon I moved the LCD screen and broke the HDMI cable plug inserted in the back panel of my screen.

I replaced the cable, but got no signal.

Connected an Android device at the loaction where the PC is, and got signal on the LCD, so cable in the wall is fine.

Went to JIB with the VGA to check, and that was also positive.

At home still no signal.

Nect I connected a small LCD monitor directly to the PC, and got signal.

I then disconnected the monitor and plugged in the screen in my office again, and now got signal.

When I restart PC again no signal, however I get the beep that the PC has started up, and when I then plug in the monitor at the PC directly there is also no signal.

So the trick is, start up the pc with the small monitor connected directly to the PC, then unplug monitor and plug in the cable that goes through the wall to the screen in the office.

Not quite convenient I would say, but maybe someone on here can tell me where the issue is.

2 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I think windows key and then P. Pick your source, and hopefully that addresses your problem. ????

I suggest you read the OP again for better understanding.

PC starts up, but no signal in my office, also no bios screen.

If I start up PC with small monitor connected at the PC directly and wait until OS is loaded, the disconnect small monitor and connect screen in the office everything is working fine.

When I reboot PC again no bios

Try another HDMI cable. The shorter the cable the better but, from my experience, no need to get an expensive one as it is no more or less likely to work than a cheap one.

Sometimes there seems to be no rhyme nor reason why one cable works but another doesn't. It's surprising that we have been stuck for so long with such a flaky technology as HDMI.

6 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Try another HDMI cable. The shorter the cable the better but, from my experience, no need to get an expensive one as it is no more or less likely to work than a cheap one.

Sometimes there seems to be no rhyme nor reason why one cable works but another doesn't. It's surprising that we have been stuck for so long with such a flaky technology as HDMI.

I can not change HDMI because cable is in the wall, and the cable is clearly also not the issue.

Let me explain again.It has worked for 8 years without issues

1. I plug an Android device in at the location of the PC with wall cable to the office, and screen in office receive the signal.

2. I start PC with small monitor attached, and once OS has loaded I unplug the monitor and plug in the cable in the wall, and I get the signal on office screen.

3. I start PC with wall cable to office screen attached, and I don't get signal in office. When I then unplug the wall cable and connect the small monitor to the PC directly, there will also be no signal

Edited by Susco

Are you using a graphics card?

Does your CPU/motherboard have internal graphics?

What happens if you you switch on the PC and wait?  Does anything eventually show on the screen?

What is set as your primary graphics adapter in BIOS?

Issue resolved.

Extensor hdmi conector de hdmi hembra a hdmi hembra en Peru ...

The connector that connects the HDMI starting at the PC with the HDMI that goes into the wall faulty.

Have temporarily replaced it with a splitter

Strange thing though is that the connector is not faulty if I start PC with small monitor attached, and once OS has loaded I unplug the monitor and plug in the cable in the wall

Edited by Susco

On 7/27/2020 at 10:39 PM, Susco said:

Strange thing though is that the connector is not faulty if I start PC with small monitor attached, and once OS has loaded I unplug the monitor and plug in the cable in the wall

HDMI is not simple. There is no such thing as: it works or it does not work.

With HDMI the computer communicates with the monitor. The computer receives information like screen resolution, etc. A low screen resolution needs a lower quality of connection than high and very high resolution. And the cable length also matters. And any additional plug in between doesn't make it any better.

Here are lots of details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Communication_channels

On 7/28/2020 at 1:39 AM, Susco said:

Issue resolved.

Extensor hdmi conector de hdmi hembra a hdmi hembra en Peru ...

The connector that connects the HDMI starting at the PC with the HDMI that goes into the wall faulty.

Have temporarily replaced it with a splitter

I'm happy for you that you have fixed the problem, but I find it hard to believe it was the joiner, especially when you said it worked with the other monitor.  

It may be an intermittent problem.  

On 7/29/2020 at 12:20 AM, RichCor said:

I'm wondering if you damaged one of the HDMI pin connections on the large monitor (maybe one responsible for at power-on initial display detection).

Have been further testing at office side.

1. Boot PC and open large screen after PC has started----------------no signal

2. Open large screen and then boot PC -------- have signal

3. Put PC in sleep. Have large monitor active. Wake PC-------No signal

4. Boot PC and open small monitor after PC has booted ---------- have signal

5. Open small monitor, but don't connect the HDMI. boot PC and then connect HDMI------ no signal. Switch small monitor off/on and signal appears

Edited by Susco

3 hours ago, Susco said:

3. Put PC in sleep. Have large monitor active. Wake PC-------No signal

Very strange that the PC will properly detect the large display if it's already powered on and awake, but not when the PC is in sleep and wakes up and the display is still powered on.

If the display connector isn't damaged, check the display's onboard settings to see if anything is amiss, if it has an HDMI-CEC setting try toggling it.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:44 PM, RichCor said:

Very strange that the PC will properly detect the large display if it's already powered on and awake, but not when the PC is in sleep and wakes up and the display is still powered on.

If the display connector isn't damaged, check the display's onboard settings to see if anything is amiss, if it has an HDMI-CEC setting try toggling it.

I agree.  Is there a way to reset the monitor back to factory settings?

If that doesn't work, I would be looking at a new HDMI cable, even just for testing purposes.