Catch-22: Getting B visa/work with borders closed?

If you are entered the country visa exempt or with a tourist visa it is possible to apply for a non immigrant visa (category B) at immigration. See: http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/02.pdf

If on a non immigrant visa already it should be possible to apply for an extension of stay based upon teaching.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If on a non immigrant visa already it should be possible to apply for an extension of stay based upon teaching.

Thank you, ubonjoe.

I'm on a Non-Immigrant ED visa. I'm currently applying for teaching positions (and preparing my documents in advance to make sure everything is done in time).

- Would you have a link with the requirements to apply for a "Non-Immigrant visa extension of stay based upon teaching"?

- What are my chances of this being possible?

I'm also considering getting a letter from my embassy to get the 30-day extension as a backup, in case I or the school can't process all the required documents in time for Sept. 26. Do you know if getting this COVID extension will cancel the possibility of getting an extension of stay based on teaching (on an ED visa)?

4 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Would you have a link with the requirements to apply for a "Non-Immigrant visa extension of stay based upon teaching"?

Click 6 or 7 here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714  

It should be possible but they may say that if is not possible to apply for the extension with a non-ed visa entry. The immigration order states only a non immigrant visa is required (number one on the above requirements).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Click 6 or 7 here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714  

It should be possible but they may say that if is not possible to apply for the extension with a non-ed visa entry. The immigration order states only a non immigrant visa is required (number one on the above requirements).

2 hours ago, ThLT said:

Okay, thank you.

I called immigration last week, and the agent told me that it is possible to extend the ED visa because you are teaching. She said, though, that the decision is ultimately up to the immigration agent. Of course, paperwork has to be in order, the most important of which is a document showing approval for a work permit from the Ministry of Labour.

When I heard that it would be OK to be working provided that I had obtained the approval for a work permit, I rushed to tell my school. Folks at the school said that they will check on it.... I hope they talk the same immigration agent I spoke with, cuz I've been stuck at home since April, anxious to fly abroad and switch visa, or go into the school, instead of just waiting at home. I got my approval for the work permit back in March, and have been waiting ever since...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timmyp said:

I called immigration last week, and the agent told me that it is possible to extend the ED visa because you are teaching. She said, though, that the decision is ultimately up to the immigration agent. Of course, paperwork has to be in order, the most important of which is a document showing approval for a work permit from the Ministry of Labour.

Good to know, thanks!