No soy sauce between 2-5 p.m at Makro

khunkarl

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

call or write to the Head office and ask them why it's categorization as alcohol and banned, and then try to convince them that they're wrong. Not sure you'll succeed this way though. 

Not likely. Makro, like other retail establishments, would abolutely love to sell alcohol at all hours. The regulation comes from gov't authorities, so Makro has no choice but to comply.

TVF Economists and Drunks have railed against that regulation for many years. Ironically, it puts to the lie on the Laws, inscribed in the Gospels, Money Number One, that Thais only care about money. Also, one our excuses for constant whinging is that Thai authorities must read and pay attention to TVF.????

But at least our idiot childish farang can enjoy beating up on the poor captive sales clerks as usual and demonstrating their oh-so-superior logic about how everything should be done in Makro-- and everywhere else in a foreign country they've chosen to visit.

That leaves some of us, the minority it appears, to try to compensate with politeness and kindness. But now I'm not surprised that Makro clerks are some of the hardest to get a smile from. I've managed to make friends w/ a couple of them, but it has taken a while.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

Maybe, or maybe you've missed some terms and conditions somewhere. Tesco Online says:

In order to meet the requirements of the law, the company reserves the right not to sell alcoholic beverages on the following specific dates and time:
1.1 all times save for 11.00-14.00 and 17.00-24.00.

--https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6017311918

• Confused 2

On the booze buying restrictions why is it that a major super market chain in Pattaya can sell during the non sell hours and no one else can.  Just curious.

I am sure your Soy sauce would also be OK.

Edited by bkk6060

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Not likely. Makro, like other retail establishments, would abolutely love to sell alcohol at all hours. The regulation comes from gov't authorities, so Makro has no choice but to comply.

But at least our idiot childish farang can enjoy beating up on the poor captive sales clerks as usual and demonstrating their oh-so-superior logic about how everything should be done in Makro-- and everywhere else in a foreign country they've chosen to visit.

That leaves some of us, the minority it appears, to try to compensate with politeness and kindness. But now I'm not surprised that Makro clerks are some of the hardest to get a smile from. I've managed to make friends w/ a couple of them, but it has taken a while.

I agree it is pointless to argue with clerks, some farangs may enjoy "beating up on the poor captive sales clerks", but I would guess that would be a minority.

BigStar have you considered that the ban on soy sauce is insipid, pointless, nay downright stupid? There is the problem. And an insulated power structure that does not respond to legit complaints by public is the source of all this.

When I was in high school, some friends would buy many bottles vanilla extract to get high. 35% alcohol aka 70 proof. I never tried that, not that desperate

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

On the booze buying restrictions why is it that a major super market chain in Pattaya can sell during the non sell hours and no one else can.  Just curious.

I am sure your Soy sauce would also be OK.

Thailand, like all Third World countries in particular, has its anomalies. After you've lived here some years, you just accept them, unless it's useful for finger-pointing (Red Bull heir is a gift that keeps on giving), and merely count yourself lucky if you find one in your favor--while keeping it quiet. ????

Edited by BigStar

4 minutes ago, Emdog said:

BigStar have you considered that the ban on soy sauce is insipid, pointless, nay downright stupid?

No. That is an utter waste of time, and, you see, I have nothing to prove. What I consider, which might have taken me half a nanosecond, is that I'll buy during selling hours. ????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A Thai apologist who has clearly been in Thailand too long and thinks that banning the sale of soy sauce in the afternoon is normal.

Perhaps, as you raised the subject of logic, you can explain the logic of banning a liquid that no-one drinks on the basis that it contains a very, very tiny amount of alcohol. Thanks. I await your reply with interest.

An illogical reply to my post, illustrated by the need for name-calling, merely raising a straw man argument. Yawn. Next.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 3

Tops this week's load of pr1cks-at-work in DabaDabaDoo land. Hilarious, to say the least.

Are the lawmakers and the IT clowns at Siam Makro aware of the fact, that the internet is accessible worldwide and that this story is, oncemore again, proof that idiocy is a prime asset with certain people here? 

Same applies most likely to alcohol-free beer which contains 0.0004% alcohol which you cannot remove. How about certain medicine which contains alcohol too; any boozers creeping up the pharmacies staircases in DabaDabaDoo Land lately? 

26 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Maybe, or maybe you've missed some terms and conditions somewhere. Tesco Online says:

In order to meet the requirements of the law, the company reserves the right not to sell alcoholic beverages on the following specific dates and time:
1.1 all times save for 11.00-14.00 and 17.00-24.00.

--https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/products/6017311918

Maybe you missed that soy sauce is not a beverage?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I agree it is pointless to argue with clerks, some farangs may enjoy "beating up on the poor captive sales clerks", but I would guess that would be a minority.

Unfortunately, a minority of idiots has an effect far out of proportion to their numbers. Word gets around, esp in these days of social media. No doubt only a minority were faking their Embassy income letters. Enough became enough, however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

Irrelevant what I missed or define--or you define. How has Makro defined it within the regulation, broadly speaking? We know that now. Do you know whether Tesco defines it similarly? Well, of course you dunno. Usual hot air. I don't, and I did say "maybe."

Edited by BigStar

9 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Irrelevant what I missed or define--or you define. How has Makro defined it within the regulation? We know that now. Do you know how Tesco doesn't define it similarly. Well, of course you dunno. Usual hot air. 

Thanks for admitting that your quoting of the Tesco terms and conditions was irrelevant then.

When you gonna start again with the multiple nested quotes of decade old posts to make your point Jsixpack, can't wait for it

Edited by Susco
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

Thanks for admitting that your quoting of the Tesco terms and conditions was irrelevant then.

You wish, but if you could read you'd know I admitted no such thing. And the implication is that if you're ordering soy sauce online, you might as well choose a delivery time during the alcohol selling hours if you want to be on the safe side. I would now, but that's just illogical me.???? Next.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, BigStar said:
31 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A Thai apologist who has clearly been in Thailand too long and thinks that banning the sale of soy sauce in the afternoon is normal.

Perhaps, as you raised the subject of logic, you can explain the logic of banning a liquid that no-one drinks on the basis that it contains a very, very tiny amount of alcohol. Thanks. I await your reply with interest.

An illogical reply to my post, illustrated by the need for name-calling, merely raising a straw man argument. Yawn. Next.

An illogical reply to my post, illustrated by the need for name-calling (straw man). Oh, the irony. Yawn. Time to block someone who lives on a different planet. Goodbye.

20 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Are the lawmakers and the IT clowns at Siam Makro aware of the fact, that the internet is accessible worldwide and that this story is, oncemore again, proof that idiocy is a prime asset with certain people here?

I've posted it on Facebook. I have a friend who keeps saying I should write a book about all the nonsense that goes on here, all of which I broadcast to the world..

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

An illogical reply to my post, illustrated by the need for name-calling (straw man). Oh, the irony. Yawn. Time to block someone who lives on a different planet. Goodbye.

Gets better and better. Straw man refers not to you as poster but to the type of fallacious argument you're trying to make. Very common here. You might read up on what it is exactly. Education works sometimes. Oh--bye!????

Edited by BigStar

15 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Why is it absurd? The Thai government is doing a great job stopping people from buying  alcohol from stores between 2-5 pm. Thailand has become great in the afternoons since then. Maybe next time you had better buy vinegar instead.

The law is only make to avoid that kids can't buy alcohol after school! Same reason shops can't sell alcohol close school's! Only make better law and follow that under 18 years old can't buy it! Coz every mom and pop shops sell that anyway! So its really absurd!

Also stupid that gas station's 7/11 can't sell alcohol but mom and pop shop 20 meter away can sell!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

The law is only make to avoid that kids can't buy alcohol after school! Same reason shops can't sell alcohol close school's! Only make better law and follow that under 18 years old can't buy it! Coz every mom and pop shops sell that anyway! So its really absurd!

What is even more absurd is they sell when the kids are out at lunchtime. And asking to see ID is way, way over their head.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Its just the way the law is written .

If the law stated that soy sauce was exempt from the ban , you just know that Chang would bring out a 5 % alcohol/0.00000000001 % soy sauce, soy sauce  beer to get around the ban

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You've made 13 posts on this thread, and only two people have reacted positively. Think about that.

I do. It's so life affirming, too, to perform such a needed public service. I thought you'd said bye? Reminds me of bashers who keep saying they're leaving Thailand but never do.

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe it's because you are argumentative, arrogant and insulting and make little sense.

Oh, more name-calling. If you don't have any logical argument to make against any of my points, why continue wasting time? I'm smiling here, though.

34 minutes ago, Susco said:

I'm extremely impressed, however, with the large numbers here, yourself among them, who have managed to figure out this very difficult technicality. If I'd made such an accomplishment, one that proved beyond question--as if any were needed--that no Thai could match my superior intelligence, I'd also swell with righteous pride and crow about it on a public forum.

And, of course, I'd beat up on a Makro sales lady when I had the chance so she'd know who's the Einstein in this country. Oh yes! Well, that's what I'd think I'd proven anyway.;)

Fortunately I didn't need to. However, this has been fun.

I can’t believe I’m reading this. Who in their right mind would use Kikkoman for anything other than cooking? Kikko on the rocks, no way José. Think about cooking wine, salt was added so the staff wouldn’t drink it. Kikko to drink is probably as unpalatable as drinking hand sanitizer????

12 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its just the way the law is written .

If the law stated that soy sauce was exempt from the ban , you just know that Chang would bring out a 5 % alcohol/0.00000000001 % soy sauce, soy sauce  beer to get around the ban

I don't think any product in particular is mentioned in that law, but that instead is more generally stated as Alcoholic beverages, which soy sauce or mouthwash or rubbing alcohol are clearly not.