Canned Frogs Rescue Thais From Debt

george

Canned frogs rescue Thais from debt

Poor Thai villagers have escaped financial ruin by canning frogs for export, the Bangkok Post reported this weekend.

Farmers in the Bo Talo village of Thailand's Wang Noi district enthusiastically joined a government-sponsored project to raise frogs four years ago, but they faced ruin when over-production of the croaking creatures glutted the market, the paper said.

However, Yupa Sangnet, head of the Bo Talo frog farmers group, came up with the idea of canning the frogs for export and now sales are booming, the Bangkok Post said.

We are overwhelmed with orders from the local market and overseas, including Taiwan, China and the US, Mrs. Yupa told the paper.

The group makes 2,000 cans of frogs a day and hopes to expand production to 5,000 cans a day, the Bangkok Post said.

Our group still uses household pans to fry the frogs, Mrs. Yupa said.

--Agencies 2004-06-13

Please send these guys round to Thana City.

Since the rains started I have been kept awak every night by two million frogs croaking outside my bedroom window.

I assume that since cobra swamp was drained to make way for Suvannabhumi Airport, the frogs have moved into the (mainly deserted) grounds of Thana City and the adjoining golf course. Hope the cobras have not followed them. :o