Hotels In Maha Sarakham

dumspero

Hi all- am considering staying in a hotel on this trip to see the Thai girlfriend's family just outside the city of Maha Sarakham. Will be for a few days in June (we like to go when I can sweat as much for the family as possible).

Any sggestions would be appreciated, including whether it isn't preferable just to show up without any plans, especially in June.

Don't want to throw money away, but suspect the top hotel can't be more than a few thousand baht a day?

Thanks.

Hi all- am considering staying in a hotel on this trip to see the Thai girlfriend's family just outside the city of Maha Sarakham. Will be for a few days in June (we like to go when I can sweat as much for the family as possible).

Any sggestions would be appreciated, including whether it isn't preferable just to show up without any plans, especially in June.

Don't want to throw money away, but suspect the top hotel can't be more than a few thousand baht a day?

Thanks.

I've seen past answers to this question that say forget Sarakham and stay in Khon Kaen, but i think there are now several good options.

The best hotel in terms of amenities is the Taksila. This is a new hotel in the city centre, just a few hundred yards along the canal from the shopping plaza containing Sermthai and Tesco Lotus. It is on a link road that runs between the main axial roads out of the city running to Roi Et and Borabue.

http://www.taksilahotel.com/

This hotel has a nice restaurant, a 'spa', and sometimes has singers or karaoke but is a bit tame. although teh area by the canal ('fang klong') was the red light district years ago there isn't much there in the way of restauarants etc now.

The owners also run two lower grade hotels on the same site, the Pattana and the New Pattana. The second is okay but there are better options if you think the Taxsila is too expensive.

Along the canal from Sermthai in the opposite direction you will came to the Wasu (or Vasu), which was previously the best the city had to offer, but is several notches down in quality. Prices start at about 350 baht and go up to about 1000 for a suite (haven't stayed for a long time). This used to be in the centre of a small entertainment district. There is still a disco nearby, but most of the other old venues had been knocked down last time I looked. The hotel restauarant doubles as a traditional Isaan-style coffee shop, with singers, which some guidebooks mention (the few that mention Sarakham that is!). Last time I was there is was closed for refurbishment but used to be good years ago.

The best-value option, if you want to keep the cost down, is the training hotel at the Rajaphat University on the other side of town (you would eventually get there if you followed the canal past the Wasu). This is called Suan Warun and is staffe dby students from the Rajaphat. It has a very nice restaurant and sometimes opens the karaoke bar. It is also near many of the student bars. Last time I went to the restaurant I noticed it was only about 250 baht for an aircond room in a very acceptable building.

The new contender at the value end is the training hotel at Mahasarakham University (MSU). This is some miles out of town on the Kalasin road near the Kamrieng campus but on the main road. It is a large hotel that is taking an age to finish, perhaps because of financial problems. Rumour has it that it will be priced very cheaply to attract guests for the students to practice on. It is not too far from the bars and restaurants of the Kamrieng student area (a left turn off the main road coming from the city). These include Monkey Steak and a new steak house that both serve vaguely western style meals.

Here are some telephone numbers and addresses of hotels:

http://www.tourismthailand.org/destination...2&typeid=10

People say Maha Sarakham is dead but I have had some of the best nights out I have spent in Isaan there. The problem is that you need to know where to go, and the local landscape changes quickly with bars and restaurants opening and shutting constantly. There aren't many farang-style establishments.

I'm in Mahasarakham. New-pat-ta-na hotel is behind Takasila hotal. It's the same own hotel but it's cheaper than Takasila (start 470 - 700 - 1,000 bath). If you want a cheap hotel than it, I can tell you more.

hope you enjoy your trip