Chihuahua Care

A devoted cat lover who has never much cared for dogs, I am about to acquire a Chihuahua....security problems at home (mentally disturbed man in next village over keeps trying to get into the house when I'm home alone) necessitate a watchdog and my adopted Cambodian family recently rescued a Chihuahua from being eaten by a Vietnamese neighbor. They can't safely keep him as their neighborhood has a lot of Vietnamese and they've had numerous dogs abducted by them for eating (seriously). So he'll soon be brought to the border and become mine.

Now I realize that given as the need is for security a Chihuhua may seem ludicrous, but he has a good bark and is very alert, and as a cat rather than a dog person I can warm to a little dog much easier than a big one.

Anyhow -- I know lots about caring for cats but zilch about dogs. Can anyone out there advise me on how Chihuahuas do in Thailand, and any special tips on their care?

I read on one website to be very careful about anesthesia, which has me worried because he will need to be neutered and I'm not sure I can trust the local vet to know anything specific to the breed...Chihuahuas are not exactly common in rural Thailand...

A devoted cat lover who has never much cared for dogs, I am about to acquire a Chihuahua....security problems at home (mentally disturbed man in next village over keeps trying to get into the house when I'm home alone) necessitate a watchdog and my adopted Cambodian family recently rescued a Chihuahua from being eaten by a Vietnamese neighbor. They can't safely keep him as their neighborhood has a lot of Vietnamese and they've had numerous dogs abducted by them for eating (seriously). So he'll soon be brought to the border and become mine.

Now I realize that given as the need is for security a Chihuhua may seem ludicrous, but he has a good bark and is very alert, and as a cat rather than a dog person I can warm to a little dog much easier than a big one.

Anyhow -- I know lots about caring for cats but zilch about dogs. Can anyone out there advise me on how Chihuahuas do in Thailand, and any special tips on their care?

I read on one website to be very careful about anesthesia, which has me worried because he will need to be neutered and I'm not sure I can trust the local vet to know anything specific to the breed...Chihuahuas are not exactly common in rural Thailand...

Hhmm, you can better have a couple of Chihuahua's than one rottweiler. They're like phiranya's once they get started.

I've seen a few Chihuahuas. It depends how you treat the dog. if you lift it every time that YOU think there is something that might scare your dog, than for sure you end up with a shaky-shaky barks and bites at everything and nothing dog. If you treat it as if a big dog, you can have very nice little handbag dogs, that you can take with you where ever you go.

The only thing that to my knowledge is the most vulnerable in this breed are their bulging eyes. Furhter, I treat and care for small dogs pretty much the same as I do for big ones.

Nienke

The new brand of anesthetic drug as Zoletil® is quite safe. And neuter is a minor operation hence this op does not need full dose of it .So please don't worry :o

I've got a ChiChi among 2 other small dogs at home (and a small-medium one and a medium one. 5 total)

the Chichi is fantastic as an alert dog, it's got the radar ears which are good for hearing things and receiving alien signals from outer space.

Seriously though when we got our chichi we got a book and read up on them. Some things to note.

the book said that Chichi's bond very closely with only a couple of people and distrust the rest. Not to say that this is true for all chichi's as all dogs are different.

Our chichi is the one to watch out for as a stranger in our house. It is her domain and she does not take kindly to strangers there and she let's it be known. It takes her a while to warm up to a person if ever.

Don't worry too much about the neutering as Bambina said it's a simple operation and doesn't require a lot of anesthesia. (more major surgery for spading females)

Do not drop your chi chi or let them leap from great heights. couch and chairs ok but no leaping off the tailgate of the truck. Not good for their little legs.

Make sure their ears are clean. We've never had a problem with ours but just good practice to make sure they're clean.

The only other note to give is that their esophagus area is tender and you should never use a choke collar with them or strike or hit them in this area as it could be crushed.

oh and they really like to sun bathe.

Our Chichi is a joy to have and is sweet and tender. The only problem you may have between your cat and new dog is the competition for your lap. :o

Good on you for taking the dog in.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Hi Sheryl,

I have a couple of Chihuahuas, unfortunately not in Thailand but perhaps I can help in other ways.

I have asked previously on this forum, how Chi's get on in Thailand and JDinAsia in particular says his get on fine.

As for guard dogs, they are little terrors and extremely territorial, they try and punch above their weight but are sadly lacking in this area, although they will have a go at anything, man, large dog or cat.

They have absolutely a great sense of awareness and can sense a dog outside the house even when facing the other way and watching TV. :o

A small knock on the door or a visitor entering their comfort zone can be a clarion call from hel_l, so in my opinion a great guard dog.

They are also the finest, most adorable companion you could possibly have.

If it is a pedigree, then they can be prone to joint problems, our 2kg Sadie has already visited a vet of her hind leg becoming displaced on occasion, but not too much of a problem yet.

They have large eyes and being close to the ground they tend to pick up bits and pieces but this is generally not a problem.

Go for it, they are fantastic.

Good Luck

Moss

post-28619-1177433045_thumb.jpg This is Sadie

post-28619-1177433130_thumb.jpg Another one of Sadiepost-28619-1177433212_thumb.jpg Yet another of Sadie!

And finally one of Leo a very, very jealous Dog

post-28619-1177433280_thumb.jpg

post-28619-1177433342_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mossfinn

I've got one and he's a fine watchdog and a very loving little fellah. I never thought I would get attached to such a small dog but they have loads of character and are very clever. Coming from a hot country (mexico) they have no problems in Thailand AFAIK. Mine loves sunbathing too. Don't see the point of neutering him tho' they are too small to jump a passing soi dog. They get jealous an may not accept a cat.

post-19662-1177434050_thumb.jpg

I've got one and he's a fine watchdog and a very loving little fellah. I never thought I would get attached to such a small dog but they have loads of character and are very clever. Coming from a hot country (mexico) they have no problems in Thailand AFAIK. Mine loves sunbathing too. Don't see the point of neutering him tho' they are too small to jump a passing soi dog. They get jealous an may not accept a cat.

post-19662-1177434050_thumb.jpg

A smooth coat eh!

Sunbathing, what is it with sunbathing, the smallest square of light in the tiniest corner and they will fight over it, mind you this is the UK, so it doesn't happen very often. :o

Moss

A bit off topic, but I would love to find out a place / breeder in Thailand where I can obtain a older pup or young adult dog... I have owned several of the breed over the past 30 years and always found them to be the perfect House Dog...

I am a bit hesitant to just go to the Weekend Market and purchase one for fear of it coming from a Puppy Mill and lacking in proper breeding, so suggestion would be greatly appreciated...

Oh, I live in Kalasin (Issan) but willing to travel to find a proper "New Freind"...

Pianoman

Many thanks for all the replies, gives me confidence that this is the right choice. K'dan (name means "deer" in Khmer) arrives this Saturday.

If he likes to sunbathe, he'll do just fine in my garden and ought to be able to share it with the cat who loves the shade.

Now the only remaining concern is how my cat -- who is extremely jealous and possessive -- will react. She absolutely refuses to tolerate other cats but I am hoping that as K'dan is (1) a "mere" dog and (2) male, she won't be so jealous....

Will keep you all posted on the outcome.

If they prove unable to coexist, Pianoman, I'll let you know. We don't know K'dan's age since he was a rescue but think he's a young adult.

watch out for his eyes:

cats swat and dogs use their faces and chi's have bulging eyes; the perfect cat target..... u might post neinke to find specific ways of dealingwith the cat/dog problem.

Well, little Kadan arrived safely today and seems to be settling in well so far....eating well and peeing around the perimeter of the yard, which I take to mean indicates a willingness to make it his home.

I don't have a camera but he looks just like the pix posted by Baabaaboo, except for a nasty scar on his back incurred in an attempt by his prior neighbors in Phnom Penh to eat the poor little feller.

Sweet as could be. Being used to cats I am amazed at how little he seems to want....food, water and a kind word every now and then seem quite enough to keep him happy. Quite unlike the psychological complexities of my cat.

Speaking of Her Royal Catness, as I had hoped it is not the same as trying to bring in another cat (which results in instant, never ending, all-out warfare). She's annoyed that he's here and treats him with contemptuous disdain and a bit of wariness but as long as he keeps a respectful distance she seems (knock on wood) prepared to coexist with him. From his side, he gives her a wide berth and seems to accept that she is the Boss, or at least a being he does not wish to tangle with. Helps that she was here first.

Fingers crossed....

Seems I spoke a bit too soon. The cat has twice attacked the poor dog (would have been thrice except I was able to avert the third attempt by throwing water on her mid-pounce). He doesn't even so much as bark in defence, she has him utterly cowed. He just runs away.

For the moment they are managing an uneasy truce through staying in opposite parts of the yard.

Hope with time they work something out that doesn't involve him being attacked daily.

Meanwhile a question....I don't know what is normal for this breed but his legs seem awfully thin and shaky and he seems wobbly on them...is this just the way Chihuhuas are? I have examined the legs and don't find any sign of a wound or fracture, they are not tender to palpation and he doesn't mind my touching them, it's just that they are spindly and he doesn't seem able to get around as well as he ought to, but maybe that's because I'm used to the agility of cats????

Also -- at what point should I expect him to start doing the guard dog bit and bark? He's been here 3 days now and nary a peep out of him.

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Sheryl,

Chi's legs are very thin and fragile.

If scared, which would appear the situation at present, they go thru a whole body shake, is this what you are experiencing?

They are also very prone to ball-joint problems where they can just kick out of place and they will limp, however it does tend to jump back into place quite sharply.

As for the yapping, or lack of it, well I am perplexed? Mine were making an un-holy row pretty much from the kick off.

However, it might be a little traumatized from the journey or even from its previous life, an unsavoury start to life I might add.

Whenever mine are in an unusual situation, and in the males case travelling in a car, he is as timid and quiet as you could be, whereas the much smaller female is up and looking to see who she can bark at next.

Perhaps a little more time and the usual characteristics will materialize.

I hope so.

Good Luck

Moss

Moss,

Thanks a lot -- that sounds exactly like what I'm seeing: he does whole body shakes, and will sometimes limp and then be fine again, had me utterly baffled. And the legs are so spindly. But from what you say, I guess this is just the norm for the breed. My problem is that not only am I unfamiliar with Chichis, I'm unused to dogs, having been a cat person all my life. It feels wierd to have a little pet who can't jump up on things and needs to be lifted even to get from the floor of the car into the seat.

The barking matter is resolved now, a neighbor came to visit and he performed admirably.

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow for vaccination (he never had any) and maybe neutering if he seems to to have gotten over his shakes. I don't want to traumatize him too much too soon but I'm also concerned that if not neutered he may go off in search of a mate and run afoul of the neighborhood dogs, all of whom are large enough to take him out in a single bite. My house is down an isolated lane a good 100 m from anyone else and I have a nice large yard so once neutered I'm sure he'll stay clear of them.

Local vet is OK for vaccinations and neutering but I don't have much confidence in his ability to detect any health problem that is not obvious, so really appreciate the info.

P.S. If I can add another question...

Are they picky eaters? I bought proper dog food, which I am sure he never got, and expected him to love it, but...he won't touch the dried food. The canned food he eats with gusto the first time a particular flavor or brand is given to him and then won't eat it again, on subsequent meals he just pushes it around with his nose on the plate, acting hungry but not eating it. If I change to a new brand or flavor he'll again eat it once but then not again.

What's up??

Are they picky eaters?

:o:D :D

Sorry to laugh, picky ain't the word.

We have four large bags of dry food, the proper complete stuff they are meant to love, not a hope!

The Chicken cubes they will tolerate, when they know they going to get nothing else. But we generally relent and give them fresh Chicken or Chicken Liver, because we know they love it, sometimes mix with rice, sometimes they love it sometimes turn their noses up.

Unfortunately, they will both eat nearly anything if you feed them by hand, they seem to love this.

As for the jumping, they will get better, when they get used to the place and with a little encouragement, Sadie can now jump up to the Settee and then from there to the top, to look out the window.

Another good tip is to mix a little Cod Liver Oil into their food, this helps with the joint problems.

We are not experts on dogs, so the dog trainers will tell you we are doing everything wrong, but don't believe a dog will eat his food when they hungry, this never worked, they went round eating the wall paper and the plaster, when we wouldn't change their food :D I am not kidding we had great lumps torn out of the wall!!

Another thing not to be worried about, if you seem them eating grass, they do this to make themselves sick, it sorts out the digestive system apparently.

The stranger thing adds up, someone new entering his territory will get the full treatment, this might also mean that he is beginning to govern the place, not sure about this but the cat could get a counter-strike once he is totally settled.

Good Luck

Moss

Are they picky eaters?

:D :D :D

Sorry to laugh, picky ain't the word.

We have four large bags of dry food, the proper complete stuff they are meant to love, not a hope!

The Chicken cubes they will tolerate, when they know they going to get nothing else. But we generally relent and give them fresh Chicken or Chicken Liver, because we know they love it, sometimes mix with rice, sometimes they love it sometimes turn their noses up.

Unfortunately, they will both eat nearly anything if you feed them by hand, they seem to love this.

As for the jumping, they will get better, when they get used to the place and with a little encouragement, Sadie can now jump up to the Settee and then from there to the top, to look out the window.

Another good tip is to mix a little Cod Liver Oil into their food, this helps with the joint problems.

We are not experts on dogs, so the dog trainers will tell you we are doing everything wrong, but don't believe a dog will eat his food when they hungry, this never worked, they went round eating the wall paper and the plaster, when we wouldn't change their food ;) I am not kidding we had great lumps torn out of the wall!!

Another thing not to be worried about, if you seem them eating grass, they do this to make themselves sick, it sorts out the digestive system apparently.

The stranger thing adds up, someone new entering his territory will get the full treatment, this might also mean that he is beginning to govern the place, not sure about this but the cat could get a counter-strike once he is totally settled.

Good Luck

Moss

:D:bah::bah::o

The dogs and their servents, are you sure they aren't coming from cat planet?

Anyway, it might be as Mossfin already indicated, to give them fresh foods, whether cooked or raw. It is very possible your dog hasn't been raised on kibble and canned food might upset the stomach a little, and that's why he doesn't want to eat it twice.

And my experience on serving the same meals again and again to the dogs: normally the big dogs start eating good after missing 2 or 3 meals, but the small ones ... :o They just need more and special care often.

In the case with your dog, the change of environment can also still have some influence on his 'bad'-eating habit. Although, my feeling goes more in the direction of what Mossfin described.

Nienke

Ah Moss, we are indeed talking about the same breed....I had already noted the feeding from the hand preference. Yuck! Is it possible Chihuahuas have cat anscestors somewhere along the line??? I had always heard that dogs, unlike cats, were compliant obediant. Hah. Not this one!!! Just finished chasing him for 30 minutes in order to give him a bath.

I'm vegetarian and while willing of course to buy food with meat for the non-vegetarian pets, I draw the line at preparing fresh meat for them. :D :D Guess I'll try those little packets of moist food in various flavors and experiment until I see what this little Prima Dona wants to eat. :D

I worship my cat but won't mind seeing her get the counter-strike which she more than deserves, if he can get up the nerve to launch one :o

make sure the kibble u are giving is the correct size.even small kibble comes in different smallness'es... chis ahve small mouths;

my lhasa, who really isnt spoiled about food (drank milk straight from a goat teat for two months) wasnt able to actually physically chew the small nutranugget kibbles my boxer was getting so now getting some other brand which has smaller small kibble. boxer doesnt really care what she chews.

it takes dogs a few weeks to really let their personality shine thru... the lhasa , whom we thought was very aggressive, non socialized (also true), never spoke, didnt play etc, suddenly has turned into a really cute playful clown bursting with energy (with several doggie personality problems we are working on slowly).

i'm not keen on letting any dog jump up and down from heights; boxer is now suffering back/joint problems after years of going up and down stairs and jumping up and down off sofa. small dogs have farther to jump and land harder. i think letting them go up and down using a settee/stool or something may help your chi get up and down easier. and since they are and have always been bred as real lap dogs (google about them), picking them up and moving them is quite acceptable.

lhasa on the other hand, were hardy working dogs in the hymalayas so he'd better use his feet !!!!

Just finished chasing him for 30 minutes in order to give him a bath.

They are extremely quick, I admit.

Not sure how often you are intending to Bath the boy Sheryl, but if regular you might be in danger of washing out some important oils?

Except after having fun in some dirty pools etc it might be more prudent just to brush on a regular basis, I have found they enjoy this pampering. :o

Good Luck

Moss