Dinosaur Museum In Kalasin

chevykanteve

If you or your children (or both) have even a minor interest in fossils, you should check out the dinosaur museum in Kalasin Province. Actually, its proper name is Jurassic Park/Sirindhorn Museum. I took my wife and kids there today and we had a great time. There are (ostensibly) complete skeletons of massive plant eaters and flesh eaters, and loads of fish/trilobite, etc., type fossils. It's air-conditioned and -----here's the positive kicker---- it's FREE for Thai and Farang people.

As a side-note, there are some great shrimp restaurants in Kalasin which you can check out before/after the museum trip. Tom yam kung, yam kung + veggies + a Beer Leo make for an excellent combination.

I agree compleatly, I was there a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great. I only had a couple of hours, but could of spent all day, a great place and anyone from Kalasin, Southern Udon Thani, Northern Roi-et, Eastern Khon Kaen, or South Western Sakon Nakhon should definitly try to go. Issangeorge

Does this mean that the new building is finally open? Last time I visited the highlight was an existing single storey building on the hill side with a large excavation and impressive fossils inside. I've been several times and think it is a great excursion but the new bit has taken a long time to open. The museum is on the site of a temple and the story I heard was that one of the monks found a large fossil after having a dream about dinosours. I find that the kids really like a park that one passes a few kilometers before the main museum with an impressive array of plastic dinosaurs beside a small lake.

I was very disappointed when I went, we spent about an hour there, I was expecting more to be honest, and I thought it would have been a complete waste of time if we hadn't been on the way to the Lam Pao Dam lake.

However, I had the shack over the excavation experience and would be interested in going again if the large new building at the bottom of the hill is open... seems like it has improved the experience greatly

totster :o

I was very disappointed when I went, we spent about an hour there, I was expecting more to be honest, and I thought it would have been a complete waste of time if we hadn't been on the way to the Lam Pao Dam lake.

However, I had the shack over the excavation experience and would be interested in going again if the large new building at the bottom of the hill is open... seems like it has improved the experience greatly

totster :D

No wonder you're disappointed........................................................the amount of times you've seen the Dinosaur museum in Sulin. :o

I assume that the shack over the excavation was the predecessor of the fine modern museum I saw. It's multi-storey, has a beautiful and well-thought-out design and entirely air-conditioned. Displays range from assembled dinosaur skeletons (Brontosaurus, Tryannosaurus Rex, Stegosaurus, duck-bill types, tiny dinosaurs, fish fossils of all kinds, etc.; at least one multimedia room (everything goes black; the meteoric destruction of the dinosaurs appears on a big screen complete with scary sound effects, etc.). Visitors also can view the fossil repository room where the paleontologists work (view, not go inside understandably).

The only other dinosaur/fossil museum I've been to in Asia is the one at The University of Geosciences in Wuhan, China. That was also great, but the one in Kalasin is more.... well, entertaining and stylish, I suppose.

The only things lacking in the Kalasin museum are a book store and store that sells dinosaur models.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

totster :D

No wonder you're disappointed........................................................the amount of times you've seen the Dinosaur museum in Sulin. :o

Guess he's used to talk to them in Surin, and missed that in Kalasin :D ...........

Not that I understand why, :D as there are not too many intellectuals there :D

Not that I understand why, :D as there are not too many intellectuals there :D

Where? Kalasin or Surin? I'll 'ave you know I were brung up proper. I 'ad a good edumacashun.

Yes Surin, but I was refering to the others who can't spell as superfect as you :o:D