Microsoft Admits Vista Failure

Maestro

Microsoft admits Vista failure

Actions speak louder than PR

By Charlie Demerjian in Beijing: Saturday 21 April 2007, 12:20

WITH TWO OVERLAPPING events, Microsoft admitted what we have been saying all along, Vista, aka Windows Me Two (Me II), is a joke that no one wants...

See http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=39087 for full article

If this has already been posted, then a moderator please delete this topic. I did a search on the ThaiVisa website and did not see it posted so far.

--------------

Maestro

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article, thanks!

Quote from Charlie: "Microsoft has lost its ability to twist arms, and now it is going to die."

In this day and age, Microsoft is the Emperor Without Clothes. Its only hope is that Linux continues to be too hard to use for end users, but Linux is ever getting better and at some point will have equality. Especially because Windows is not getting better, as Vista demonstrates.

Large corporations could migrate to Linux right now and save a lot of money over time - once the installation processes are automated enough, and there are enough admins to run them, Linux+OpenOffice is going to have a big cost advantage over Windows+Office - while being just as good or better in most respects. From experience I think Linux is a lot easier for IT administration than Windows when you know what you are doing.

As for Vista, well of course it sucks, and I am not in the least surprised Dell is now offering XP again - if I were to buy a new laptop that would be a pretty good reason to buy a Dell. I have all the faith in the world that Vista will eventually be just as good as Win XP but right now, yeah, it's a joke.

Great article, thanks!

Quote from Charlie: "Microsoft has lost its ability to twist arms, and now it is going to die."

In this day and age, Microsoft is the Emperor Without Clothes. Its only hope is that Linux continues to be too hard to use for end users, but Linux is ever getting better and at some point will have equality. Especially because Windows is not getting better, as Vista demonstrates.

Large corporations could migrate to Linux right now and save a lot of money over time - once the installation processes are automated enough, and there are enough admins to run them, Linux+OpenOffice is going to have a big cost advantage over Windows+Office - while being just as good or better in most respects. From experience I think Linux is a lot easier for IT administration than Windows when you know what you are doing.

As for Vista, well of course it sucks, and I am not in the least surprised Dell is now offering XP again - if I were to buy a new laptop that would be a pretty good reason to buy a Dell. I have all the faith in the world that Vista will eventually be just as good as Win XP but right now, yeah, it's a joke.

Yes, quite so...

The article should read "Microsoft have admitted that Microsoft have failed to sell stuff for the sake of it". I run 2K and see no reason to change. It is solid as a rock and, with common sense, will continue to be so, without MS updates. This is their ultimate problem - why change?

I'm running Vista on both desktop and notebook, and I love it. The most stable system I've ever had. Love it!

How much ram you using George?

2 GB RAM on desktop plus a 2GB usb stick for 500 baht.

Laptop runs on 1,25GB

Why change and buy something that has more DRM in it, what a stitch up, however I think people are beginning to suss this DRM out. Could be their achilles heal.

I will never use anything that is riddled with DRM , including Windows Media Player 11.

By the way DRM (if you didn't already know) is the toy that Microsoft and others collude in to restrict the market in music and more, so that they can control it and make huge wads of dosh from their monopoly.

As Bill Gates himself said you are better off ripping your MP3s from non protected sources, pretty obvious.

:o

Edited by fisherd3

Bought a new laptop with Vista. Vista sucks so bad it finally pushed me over the edge and I went out and bought a Macbook. Gorgeous!

Anybody wanting a nearly-new Vaio at a discounted price, pm me!

Why didnt you just wipe it, and add XP Pro? :o

They may not have the XP Pro drivers for that notebook if it is a new one just for Vista...

Bought a new laptop with Vista. Vista sucks so bad it finally pushed me over the edge and I went out and bought a Macbook. Gorgeous!

Anybody wanting a nearly-new Vaio at a discounted price, pm me!

Why didnt you just wipe it, and add XP Pro? :o

Because I have become increasingly frustrated with using Windows over the years, and increasingly tempted by Macs. Vista pushed me over to the dark side (and I love it)!

The title says it all.

Five and a half months since general business release and only one real exploit so far, of which Vista was the least vulnerable speaks volumes. No previous version has ever been that secure before.

By Maestro? Are you sure? :o

Frankly, I don’t know enough about the subject to know the difference, but since there are half a dozen or more Dell computers in my house I read the article, found it interesting, although excessively antagonistic against Microsoft, and decided to post it here, for what it may be worth to the forum users.

--

Maestro

I haven't tried it yet, but from what I hear, from both experts and ordinary users, Vista sucks big time. It looks good from what I've only seen , but I am not planning on using it until late 2008. I might be wrong, but all people I know have uninstalled it and switched back to XP. I also agree with bkkandrew here, I've previously used Win 2k and it was the most stable OS I've seen. Win 98SE was also a great one and now, finally XP seems good and improving (sometimes) :o

The Inquirer article was written by a journalist called Charlie Demerjian. Here's an excerpt from another of another of his pieces:

"Starting from Scratch

Starting over from scratch nullifies the one advantage that Microsoft has, complete code and a trained staff. Migration and retraining features prominently in most Microsoft white papers, and if it has to throw all that away, what chance does it have?

In light of the won't do and can't do, Microsoft sits there, and watches its market share begin to erode. That's happening slowly at first, but the snowball is rolling. A few people are starting to look up the hill and notice this big thing barreling down at them, and some are bright enough to step out of the way.

The big industry change is happening, and we are at the inflection point. Watch closely people, and carefully read each and every press release. If you can see the big picture, this is one shift that won't be a surprise in hindsight."

This was written on 28th December 2003. He's just an anti-MS fanboy that parrots the same line year after year. If MS did go to the wall he'd be out of a job.

There are performance bench marks, (boot-up, functionality, stability, ...), that could show it is in fact an improvement over previous OS's .

Probably this could have been marketed as another service pack for XP,

but the point may be moot as 3rd party vendors will be writing to it as the new default.

Probably this could have been marketed as another service pack for XP,

but the point may be moot as 3rd party vendors will be writing to it as the new default.

The code is completely revamped so calling it an XP service pack would have been misleading at the very least.

I haven't tried it yet, but from what I hear, from both experts and ordinary users, Vista sucks big time. It looks good from what I've only seen , but I am not planning on using it until late 2008. I might be wrong, but all people I know have uninstalled it and switched back to XP. I also agree with bkkandrew here, I've previously used Win 2k and it was the most stable OS I've seen. Win 98SE was also a great one and now, finally XP seems good and improving (sometimes) :o

Not to say much faster, spec for spec!

This [earlier article] was written on 28th December 2003. He's just an anti-MS fanboy that parrots the same line year after year. If MS did go to the wall he'd be out of a job.

Did Charlie perhaps at some time in the past apply for a job with Microsoft and got rejected?

As for me, I shall follow the advice given to me by a friend many years ago: before considering to buy a new version of Windows or Microsoft Office, wait until the second service pack has been released. It’s not a very scientific approach, but good enough for my needs.

--

Maestro

I'm running Vista on both desktop and notebook, and I love it. The most stable system I've ever had. Love it!

Laptop runs on 1,25GB

Which USB stick are you using?

This [earlier article] was written on 28th December 2003. He's just an anti-MS fanboy that parrots the same line year after year. If MS did go to the wall he'd be out of a job.

Did Charlie perhaps at some time in the past apply for a job with Microsoft and got rejected?

As for me, I shall follow the advice given to me by a friend many years ago: before considering to buy a new version of Windows or Microsoft Office, wait until the second service pack has been released. It’s not a very scientific approach, but good enough for my needs.

--

Maestro

That's what I did. I haven't touched Win XP until the 2nd service pack got out...

Laptop runs on 1,25GB

Just a no-name 2GB USB-stick, nothing special.

Im, also one of the users having had Vista installed (along with office 2007) and ended up throwing everything of and reinstalling XP.

The machine: AMD Athlon64 3800+, socket 939 PCIe mainboard, 256mb Geforce 6600 (PCIe). 2gb dual ram.

Basically I had 3 serious gripes:

1) Speed. Vista ran definitely slower, including most applications. FlightsimX (only "game" I ever play) became close to being unusable. although I have a pretty basic graphics card, It ran good on winXP, but on vista I lost 40% framerate when using the same detail settings in flightsim...

2)Bloody pop-ups always asking wetter I really was sure I wanted to do something...I know it's a security feature, and with some research you can reduce the frequency of them, but still...

3)Simply too different. Too many things were in different places. It didn't feel like an upgrade, but like switching OS altogether. I had to resort to Vista forums quite often to find solutions for things which would have took me 1 second flat on XP...Office 2007, pfff, whats wrong with menu's? Any company switching to office 2007 will see a pretty hefty drop in efficiency. First time ever you need to re-train your staff after an upgrade of office!

So in short, the changes are so drastic that it will indeed persuade people to try something different altogether like MacOS or Linux. Why not if the learning curve is not that much higher compared to the Vista/office 2007 upgrade?

There's some very nice Linux distro's, If only now the hardware manufacturers would open up their drivers some more to the open source community...

Same here - I haven't had a single BSOD or system lockup with Vista since I started using it. It is a bit frustrating at first finding the way around the new interface but once you get used to it - it is better.

Laptop runs on 1,25GB

Just a no-name 2GB USB-stick, nothing special.

Mike Archer's blog has a very good explanation of how ready boost works and what's required for it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/20.../02/615199.aspx